Winter Doldrums CONTEST!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In an effort to stymie the winter doldrums, TH is allowing me to hold a simple contest. So here's how it is going to work;

I have selected a number between 1 - 300 and the first person to guess that number wins a free book, Florida's East Coast Gold & How You Can Find It. (Seeker41 is keeper of the selected number.)

Rules: Only one guess per person per day. And, you must also include either a picture of a find, your equipment, or a word or two of treasure hunting wisdom. Should be fun and entertaining and might help to keep hunters inspired through these winter months. :thumbsup:
book3.jpg

Upvote 0

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks,

My guess is 275......(edited because 272 was already taken...lol)

Wisdom:-Some times the keepers are at unexpected sites (There's a small green space where I live...probably only about an acre in size.....it's the only virgin site I've found where I live....not one else tried....it ended up being my most productive).

Including the Masonic key fob from 1923.....

Regards + HH

Bill

Attachments

• DSC00087.JPG
    DSC00087.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 82
OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Every once in a while I find something that inspires me to wonder about is history. Who was the previous owner? How did it arrive here? Where all has it passed before?

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

Same here.....the site is cleaned out now...by me.....short story it was all landfill from another older burned down building
and was basically covering the city's elevated water reservoir......nobody else had bothered to at least try it....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Every once in a while I find something that inspires me to wonder about is history. Who was the previous owner? How did it arrive here? Where all has it passed before?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of all the items I have witnessed on this site, the emerald ring that Dryton found (his avatar) is probably the most amazing and inspiring to me. When I think of the era from which it came, its travels and its craftsmanship, it truly is a fascinating piece. Yes, there are others similar, but his was found within reach of anyone, a true inspiration for the rest of us that these items are still out there and within our reach as well. :thumbsup:

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
bigscoop,

Jewelry wise Gary's ring is pretty much as good as it gets.....the only other item of that sort I recall was posted by a member from Eastern Europe I seem to recall....and was a 24k Roman era seal ring....I almost fell out of my chair when that one was posted....lol.

Regards + HH

Bill

Of all the items I have witnessed on this site, the emerald ring that Dryton found (his avatar) is probably the most amazing and inspiring to me. When I think of the era from which it came, its travels and its craftsmanship, it truly is a fascinating piece. Yes, there are others similar, but his was found within reach of anyone, a true inspiration for the rest of us that these items are still out there and within our reach as well. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,
I simply love that whole Spanish main era, those early explorations, etc. Just think what their eyes beheld in all of it's natural, unspoiled state. Of course, not sure I would have wanted to be the first one to step foot onto some of those hostile places. And a large, comfortable, modern sailing vessel would have also been nice. :laughing7:

Mainelypulltab

Aug 26, 2011
New England
Detector(s) used
Excal II

Always wear clean underwear when detecting, never know if you will end up in the hospital. Alright, maybe it is not the usual advise but if Mom were here, she would say it. Thanks for the contest, we all appreciate it.

Escape

Bronze Member
Apr 4, 2009
Don't drink and drive when you go to a hunt. Wait till you get there.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So far, one individual's guess was so close it should have left a scratch. :laughing7:

boris

Dec 17, 2011
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
tesoro stingray
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
300 Use all metal mode and go very slow.

s1u2r3f4

Oct 15, 2011
On the brink....
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II
Minelab Explorer ll
Sov Gt
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
. 246
image.jpg Hope springs eternal!!!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    641.9 KB · Views: 94

Beach Papa

Apr 25, 2012
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark VLF
Whites Dual Field PI
CTX 3030
Aquasound (custom made)
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach Treasures August 2012 003.JPG

Don't forget to spend time with the family. Treasure gets lost and found but a family is for life. Papa

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread