πŸ₯‡ BANNER WOW -- 1835 $5 GOLD COIN !!!!!

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
TNET Members

If I was not living this I would not believe it!! I have been fighting the flu for the last week or so and had lost my voice completely for a few days, but was feeling a bit better and had the bug to get out and hunt a bit. Especially after Mark dug a sweet Cast Brass Tongue buckle at a site he was scouting for us. Turns out he had a "matching" wreath from a different site.

So Mark and I headed to the buckle site so we could check out the camp site that Mark had isolated. It was a very cool site so I got some scenery shots and then we cleared some ground of branches and hunted it for a bit. We found a few keepers and then decided to get a bite to eat and then head back to the site where Mark got his last (4th) $20 Gold Coin.

We decided to hunt the fringes of the site and we located another iron invested area and we started to pull some period targets. I got a nice Fancy Wreath buckle, Mark dug an nice lever off an old gun. We kept calling each other over to compare targets and shoot video. After about 5 or 6 shotgun shells I got another nice smooth mid tone so I started to scrape the dirt off and then realized this target was a bit deeper than the shotgun shells so I called Mark over (just in case) Boy am I glad I did!!

Sorry about the voice but we had been recording a lot of junk targets so the voice was almost gone when IT popped out!!

Mark and I had a funny conversation at the end of the night on the walk back to the Jeep. Let's just say Mark was happy for me and happy I finally got a gold coin out of these sites!! (It has been a long 14 years since the first one!!) As he stated before, he really wanted me to get over a good one and I'm not sure he would have told me if he found it!! :D OK Mark, you can go find some more now!! LOL

Glad it was my turn!!

Attachments

• 5 dollar FB post.jpg
    5 dollar FB post.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 908
  • 5 in hand back 2.jpg
    5 in hand back 2.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 711
  • 5 in hand front 2.jpg
    5 in hand front 2.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 746
  • buckle 1.jpg
    buckle 1.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 686
  • bucke two.jpg
    bucke two.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 675
  • holding coin.jpg
    holding coin.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 696
Upvote 93

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting

cw0909

Silver Member
Dec 24, 2006
Primary Interest:
Other
congrats, i felt bad for you when mark found his gold and not you

you guys are rocking, doing the happy dance for ya
dancertwist.gif

Last edited:

procali

Nov 16, 2013
BajaMex
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, ctx 3030, sdc 2300, Sovereign Gt, Excal 1000, x-terra 705, profind, propointer. Stealth 720i and 920ix
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on another find of a lifetime, may the gold Gods keep that light shining on you!

Megagold

Mar 3, 2012
Calif by the Bay
Detector(s) used
MXT- AT Pro- Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A big Congrats! You guys up there by Placeville? lol... That's on my wish list! :)

OP
OP
Ron (CA)

Ron (CA)

Feb 1, 2005
Mechanicsville VA
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 , Deus 1 & 2,
Wow - a seriously rare find as "Type Coins" go - Major congratulations to you ! I think an interesting discussion can be had about what
initiated such a massive loss of large silver and gold coins - whether you guys are of the opinion that this is a cache that got spread out
somehow , or a payroll loss of some kind - other theories ? I really am eager to hear what your theories are !!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts:

First we are on two different sites The first is the coin spill site (9 Silver halves, $5 and 3 $20's) and the 2nd site is where Mark go the $20 and I got the $5.

I believe the first site is a coin spill. Coins were to shallow and this is an area that was never farmed and NONE of the coins showed any damage. So them getting spread out does not work in my mind. If you move stuff around with equipment of any sort some of the coins will show signs of that. My $5 shows signs of being moved around as it was almost in the wagon road and may have been moved around when the modern day farmer cut a firebreak.

I think site #1 is a Coin Spill either out of a personal bag or saddle bag etc. I am sure there was a horse trail or wagon trail in this area and people still traveled past this home site long after it was gone. (Coins post date the house site) A horse got spooked or bag tore or something and the coins fell into the tall grass/weeds. If the owner did not know exactly where they fell out it would almost be impossible to backtrack and find the lost coins.

The 2nd site is along an old wagon road and the home sites on the wagon roads were often used a way points/stopping points for travelers to water the horses etc. Many of these site would allow the travelers to camp and sometimes even the owner would board the travelers (for a fee). So I feel that the $20 and the $5 were just random losses from the owner or travelers of the old roads.

When we start finding spoons we know we are probably close to a campsite area, Then old lamp parts turn up etc and then we get excited as we know we are in a hot zone. These sites often are pretty small but can give up some great stuff and many times we will find 2-3 "hot zones" in a site like this.

just my theory!! But who knows it could be more dramatic like bandit loot taken from a local landowner and then as the posse approached the masked bandit dumped the evidence and high tailed it over the hill as the guns were blasting away!! :tongue3: That sounds more thrilling and would probably sell more magazines!!

Last edited:

sponge

Bronze Member
Nov 15, 2012
Florida
Have you gone to sleep yet? Congrats. Thanks for keeping the dream alive

sent from a sending device.

aka da Prof

Jan 18, 2009
Finger Lakes, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
Garret Freedom One / Fisher 1280X / Beach Bully sand scoop/ Garret ProPin Pointer/Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
!!! YEAH, GENTS!!! I was on the edge of my seat watchin' this vid!!! --- so, when is Andrews turn to dig the gold??? (or did I miss that vid already??)

Dug1898

Sep 27, 2011
Fingerlakes Region, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1236-X2 &
Los Banos Gold Bug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Andrew did find a gold 1/2 eagle. Up on the banner click on the 9 silver half dollars and the gold coin with them...

Ron, you are an important member of your team. Without you, I'd have never seen your amazing videos! At first I thought the gold nuggets were drops along with the coins; but after seeing your lastedt find I see you are actually searching the gold fields. I'm not experienced because I'm from NY State and we have no gold like that here. Gold coins like that either for that matter. I soo wish I had been born in California along Rt 49! Keep doing what you 3 are doing because it makes all our blood flow better watching your videos. Please keep us posted on the grades of your coins, they look like new. You guys are awesome! Dug

beekbuster

Jan 17, 2015
Detector(s) used
gpx 4500
gpz (died in a fire. rip)
Primary Interest:
Other
and in california! would have figured the south east or areas with more history. incredible find

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing find !!! Congrats

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Damn now that's what im talking about!!!, nice find!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!vanzutphen Lets wave the banner!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

slider66

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Nov 14, 2013
Treasure Coast Of Florida
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab CTX 3030
Garrett AT Pro
Minelab Excalibur 1000 with SEF 10x12 coil
3 Minelab Excalibur II 10 inch
Deus II
EQuinox 900
Manticore
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Congrats again I'm really happy for you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'll give you $50 for it- that's 10 times face

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
An absolutely beautiful coin! Congratulations!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions