YES!!! Broke into 1800s silver!!!

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace250/Prospecter Bounty hunter(Backup)
I was in an area I have never detected before, and though I was busy as all getout, I made an hour or two to detect. Walking along finding a clad quarter here and, a clad dime and penny there, and more clad everywhere. I had some high expectation of this area and was started to get a little bummed. Finally found a sterling earring and my attitude got a little better. :P

Then I got a deep silver signal and VOILA!!! Dug my very first pre1900 silver. Turned out to be an 1897 Barber dime. WAHOOOOOOOO I was totally pumped! Kept taking it out of my pouch and looking at it hoping that just maybe there'd be more but TOTALLY happy with what I had found.
Then a deep copper signal...I was thinking it could be an indian head or wheat penny but I ended up digging a 1928 British half cent. I have to admit I was sort of puzzled at that find but turned right around not three feet away and found another from 1921!! What a time I was having!!!
I stood up from digging that copper coin and swung my detector. Not more than 2 feet from the second half penny, I got a nice deep silver signal and pulled a 1936 silver quarter out the was in just awesome shape. I did another happy dance and thought the day just couldn't get any better.

I kept on working that area really hard and got another signal and dug ANOTHER FIRST pre1900 coin! An 1889 Liberty head V nickel! THIS WAS ONE HAPPY TREASURE HUNTER! I know a lot of people find so many of these kinds of coins back east that it may seem relatively boring.... but for the pacific northwest this was an UNREAL day!

I dug a bit more clad and then hit one of those pulltab signals that beckons you to dig just to see if it might be gold and to my surprise I pulled up a sweet little 14k white gold pendant with maybe half a carat of diamonds in it! I just about fell over considering I was heading back to my vehicle as the hunt was coming to an end. Needless to say I did not want to leave, but had to...and I left very very happy!

WHAT A WAY TO END THE DAY! All in all I believe this hunt made me happier than any before. I FINALLY succeeded in breaking into some 1800s silver and iced the cake with white gold and diamonds.

I apologize for the poor pics and will try to get some better ones on here later if I can. I am pressed for time today.

HAPPY HUNTING EVERYONE!

~Nash~

Attachments

• newstuff.jpg
    newstuff.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 1,253
Upvote 0

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Holy Crap Nash!! Man what a day!! Dude, I am so stoked for you. Now that is a day we all dream of. WTG Buddy!

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
doozis said:
What and OUTSTANDING quick hunt !!! , I'd be thrilled to get that much
in a month :)

Big time grats and keep-a-swingin ;)

Doozis

And done with an Ace250 as well Doozis! Lookin' forward to you having the same kind of day with yours!

Boobydoo said:
Wow!! Now that is a fantastic hunt.
What a haul of treasure.
Congrats on your two firsts. Love those Barbers!!
I especially like the gold and diamond pendant... wooowhooo!!
Congrats big time on that sweet puppy!!

Smiles!
BDoo
Thanks BDoo! You probably have three pendants just like the one I found. :P

Baldingboy said:
Holy Crap Nash!! Man what a day!! Dude, I am so stoked for you. Now that is a day we all dream of. WTG Buddy!
It sure is man and I am dreaming of many more...I HOPE! LOL

49er said:
Nash,
Know what you mean but finding such fantastic silver in the west. Live in eastern Washington and finding silver is an oddity. Glad your day was not filled with clad.

49er
Not unlike western Washington or Oregon. The soil condition are just not conducive to finding coins in decent shape! Not to mention that there just arent that many areas where coins were overtly common in the 1800's that aren't covered by buildings or parking lots!!!
Speaking of I just saw a crew taking about a foot of soil off of an empty lot.
Guess where I am going to be tonight ;D

Thanks again everyone for the comments and kudos. I am still beside myself over breaking that barrier.
LOOK OUT 1700's!

~Nash~

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's what I Love about this hobby Nash....One day pulltab's and zincoln's,the next an unforgetable hunt....Real happy for ya as if they were my find's....Congrat's on a great hunt and first(s)....

P

Pentico

WOW!
What a day for you today Nash!
AWSOME......
Allways look forword to your finds!
ChrisP

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
great finds man! i dug a "V" sunday but mine is all crusty and ugly. god i wish we had your soil! look how red and beat mine is. i can barely ID it! looks like a fantastic day no matter what coast you are on! congrats!

Attachments

• 08-26-2007 10;33;36AM.jpg
    08-26-2007 10;33;36AM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 954
  • 08-26-2007 10;33;36AM.jpg
    08-26-2007 10;33;36AM.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 949
OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
hollowpointred said:
great finds man! i dug a "V" sunday but mine is all crusty and ugly. god i wish we had your soil! look how red and beat mine is. i can barely ID it! looks like a fantastic day no matter what coast you are on! congrats!

Trust me on this one Hollowpoint.....A nickel this color is just plain bizarre for up here. Funny thing about the area I was hunting is that even the newer stuff was not hardly discolored. I guess that is one reason I like a machine that has the auto ground balance on it. One step and the soil here changes from nice sandy loam to hard packed clay and the next step you are standing on solid granite. Anyway, the soil where I was was the "nicest" to any coins I have ever found. Not to mention it actually had some oldies! ;D

Permagrinnin'

~Nash~

Green1

Silver Member
Mar 20, 2006
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Mxt 6x10 coil Massachusetts
dude, that's awesome !!! you've been very patient waitin for one, and it finally came.. ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Nash,

Dang, bud, way to go! Sounds like the Garrett folks did some wonders with that new coil, huh? I'd have been sorely tempted to flake out on whatever made you leave that spot!

How deep were the Barber and V, and did the Barber ring up as a dime? Any bouncing around?

I finally got out yesterday for a couple of hours before work called. I don't know what was going on, but for whatever reason, my 250 seemed fixated on pennies. Dug more than a dozen, including two that rang up as nickels....and yep, I rechecked the holes...no nickels hiding.

MP

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
good for you man that is a nice find WTG

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
wtg Nashoba!~ Congrats on 1800's coins - always a big thrill for sure!

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Way to go dude! I hope you don't get it as bad as me. It seemed like I was dinking around trying to find something good, and digging junk, then up pops the pre1900 silver! I was awestruck! Now I'm just nuts looking for the old stuff. And you know what? I'm getting the hang of finding old places. But it's still one baby step at a time. That's why when somebody has a day like yours, you just gotta be happy for them. Or in my case geeked, keep an eye out for the features and don't overlook streams and rivers. But don't tell anyone I told you that!
God Bless
muleskinner

tymcmurray

Gold Member
Jul 14, 2007
Maryland
Great job. Maybe someday I'll join the
club with you.

Attachments

• 773903897_7f6e3767f0_o.gif
    773903897_7f6e3767f0_o.gif
    73.8 KB · Views: 830
  • 773903897_7f6e3767f0_o.gif
    773903897_7f6e3767f0_o.gif
    73.8 KB · Views: 834

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super, Nash! Nice bunch of coins, and the bling, too.

Awesome day for sure.

Dig it- Ken

foxtonames

May 21, 2007
Northwest Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot Damn, Nash!
Thought maybe you came to Vernonia and searched the parks I told you about. If you had to drive six hours I guess you weren't in Vernonia. US 26 can be slow but six hours to Vernonia would be ridiculous. I was in Astoria yesterday and searched John Jacob Astor Grade School. I only found a new nickel and a 1962 Lincoln. Didn't find more probably because you'd already cleaned out the schoolyard.
Once again,
Hot Damn, Nash!
Foxtonames

OP
OP
Nashoba

Nashoba

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2006
Washington and Oregon
Detector(s) used
foxtonames said:
Hot Damn, Nash!
Thought maybe you came to Vernonia and searched the parks I told you about. If you had to drive six hours I guess you weren't in Vernonia. US 26 can be slow but six hours to Vernonia would be ridiculous. I was in Astoria yesterday and searched John Jacob Astor Grade School. I only found a new nickel and a 1962 Lincoln. Didn't find more probably because you'd already cleaned out the schoolyard.
Once again,
Hot Damn, Nash!
Foxtonames

Um, Well, OK, I have been there a few times :P
I actually remember my first signal there was a totally wiped out wheat then 3 unreadable nickles back to back. I was hoping for OLD GOLD! The path behind the school had some great stuff too but they just blacktopped it! Why? I will never know. Dang city just has to take every old piece of ground and cover it with asphalt or a new coffee stand! GRRRRRRR
So Vernonia is still on my list of things to do. Then again, YOU have probably got all of the goodies there!
LOL
~Nash~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread