YOU JUST NEVER KNOW

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I found this in an old building many yrs ago and the curiosity has haunted me ever since. I won't go into detail as to the who, where and when , but I have permission to salvage from this place. I went there again today to plan my strategy. I found one last yr and was VERY VERY pleasantly surprised with its contents.
Wish me luck ...Updates coming soon.

Thanx for looking and HH y'all

UPDATE: well it's been about 3 yrs since I initially posted this. I checked on the safe about every 4-6 months since, just to make sure it hadn't been disturbed or opened. Originally I was going to open it with a torch but there were inherent risks with that idea. Well this past weekend I revisited the site armed with a cordless drill,4 batteries and a scope cam. Much to my dismay,when I arrived at the site, all I saw was a mountain of bricks and rubble. The building
has been torn down and no evidence of the safe anywhere. Unfortunately, due to my procrastination, We will NEVER KNOW What was inside.

Attachments

• DSC00003.JPG
    DSC00003.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 5,314
  • DSC00004.JPG
    DSC00004.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 5,341
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    78.1 KB · Views: 5,294
Last edited:
Upvote 0

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AGCoinHunter said:
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: Waiting with great anticipation.

As the others have said, what did you find in the one last year?

The last one he opened, he found a load of suckers from Tnet :wink: :D

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
RJGMC said:
You really know how to get to a fella don't you?

Can't wait until we find out what is or isn't inside it!

Don't wait too long, we are dying to know! (At least I am!)

Good Luck!

Bob
I am too ...I've waited 9 yrs. Please be patient.

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
RJH02 said:
cool. I am surprised nobody has ever tried getting into it somehow.
Actually , there is evidence of previous attempts....a bolt driven through the outer skin on the left side and both handles and the dial are gone, the dial is bent and sitting on a nearby table. The top right corner of the left door is bent where someone tried to pry it open.

Attachments

• DSC00006.JPG
    DSC00006.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 3,648
  • DSC00007.JPG
    DSC00007.JPG
    76.8 KB · Views: 3,641
  • DSC00008.JPG
    DSC00008.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 3,632
OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
chukers said:
not to be a killjoy but... I bet its empty

Chukers
Although, historically, most abandonded safes are usually found empty , This attitude is what keeps me optimistic....it worked on the last one :)

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
diggummup said:
You freakin tease!
I dont mean to tease anyone. I'm just as anxious as everyone else ...but there are certain logistics to consider..accessability , tools/equipment, best method , etc , etc

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
Jon Phillips said:
Be aware that some of those old safes were "booby trapped" from the factory. We have one very similar at work (the building was there since the 1930's), and it had some glass vials that were set to break if someone tried to drill out the lock. We had it professionaly deactivated....It had cyanide and some kind of acid in the glass sections!!!
"FEAR AND GREED" drives the markets and most aspects of society.

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
CRUSADER said:
AGCoinHunter said:
:happy1: :happy1: :happy1: Waiting with great anticipation.

As the others have said, what did you find in the one last year?

The last one he opened, he found a load of suckers from Tnet :wink: :D
Cru, I've always viewed you as an upstanding guy. I know you have a stellar reputation on this site. I've always enjoyed your posts and finds but this comment was'nt really necessary.

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
I hope I've answered most of the questions posted...as I said in the original post ," I wont go into a lot of detail" for obvious reasons, but I will keep everyone posted as to what is , or is not in it ,,,when i find out.
Thanx and HH y'all.

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
gxray said:
I hope I've answered most of the questions posted...as I said in the original post ," I wont go into a lot of detail" for obvious reasons, but I will keep everyone posted as to what is , or is not in it ,,,when i find out.
Thanx and HH y'all.
when are you gunu open it so that we have an idea when to look :tongue3:

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
jdsarasin8194 said:
gxray said:
Thanx and HH y'all.
Hopefully within the next week or two

jdsarasin8194

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2009
MA
gxray said:
jdsarasin8194 said:
gxray said:
Thanx and HH y'all.
Hopefully within the next week or two
Ok, sounds good :thumbsup:

weston

Dec 28, 2009
lima ohio area
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
would you show us the coins and jewelry you found in the other safe? i'd really like to see that!

weston

Treasure $ Trekkies

Mar 28, 2010
Miami Fla
Detector(s) used
whites, 2011 cion master, Whites MXT 300
You can say one thing for sure, they got there money's worth when they bought that safe. Its still SAFE!! :headbang:

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
capri_auto said:
[mod]Comment by capri_auto Removed

http://forum.treasurenet.com/authenticity[/mod]

Offense taken...what is your basis for insinuating that I am a liar? I have no reason to lie about anything on this site . I have been treasure hunting for about 30 yrs and it is not limited to metal detecting. I tear down and salvage from old historic houses and buildings all the time(basically as a hobby). It is not unusual to find a safe in a wall or under a stairwell in older structures or to find a cache hidden in the walls or attics or crawlspaces or buried in the back of the properties...especially in the south where General Sherman marched through. And let's not forget about the Great Depression where a lot of folks didn't trust banks. For me , treasure is not always a coin or piece of jewelry. It may be $10,000 worth of quarter sawn dense grain old growth tongue and groove heart pine flooring or $20,000 worth of slate roofing shingles, hand hewn beams or some other architectural elements worth money. This safe is only one of many treasure leads I am working on.
Initially, I was reluctant to post this prematurely but i figured what the hay, I'll share this experience with the rest of the treasure hunters. I never posted the safe i found last yr for a variety of reasons. I'm sure it would have made the banner but I am not interested in "making the banner". I just enjoy hunting for and finding treasure. Fortunately , I brought the safe I found last yr home with me and took some pics of it. Here are the pics....

weston said:
would you show us the coins and jewelry you found in the other safe? i'd really like to see that!

weston

I will take some pics of SOME of the contents and post them tomorrow. I had a busy day of cutting a path through a jungle of vines and brush to move tools , ladders and cutting equipment to the site of the safe not to mention metal detecting a farm site where I found some CW relics. i'll post those in another thread.

Attachments

• DSC00010.JPG
    DSC00010.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 3,229
  • DSC00005.JPG
    DSC00005.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 3,235
  • DSC00002.JPG
    DSC00002.JPG
    67.6 KB · Views: 3,247

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gxray said:
diggummup said:
You freakin tease!
I dont mean to tease anyone. I'm just as anxious as everyone else ...but there are certain logistics to consider..accessability , tools/equipment, best method , etc , etc
I know. No offense meant. Just messin around.

OP
OP
G

gxray

Jan 30, 2009
weston said:

weston
weston said:

weston
Here are some of the items found...the leather pouch/purse contained 4 morgan dollars 2 peace dollars(the first 6 in the pics) an 1875 CC seated half and a lot of buffalo nickles and wheat pennies. 3 gold rings (one stamped "SOLID GOLD") 2 gold pocket watches , an 18 mm pearl , 2 cameos, some other pins and medallions, GF eyeglasses and 3 gold coins...sorry , my camera sux for closeups..no macro setting.

Attachments

• DSC00018.JPG
    DSC00018.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 2,979
  • DSC00019.JPG
    DSC00019.JPG
    30.1 KB · Views: 2,960
  • DSC00020.JPG
    DSC00020.JPG
    42.3 KB · Views: 2,953
  • DSC00021.JPG
    DSC00021.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 2,932
  • DSC00022.JPG
    DSC00022.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,920
  • DSC00023.JPG
    DSC00023.JPG
    47.5 KB · Views: 2,923
  • DSC00024.JPG
    DSC00024.JPG
    56.4 KB · Views: 2,907
  • DSC00025.JPG
    DSC00025.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 2,899

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations this great find :o ... is a treasure , many years abandoned .
greetings ! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions