Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
last summer my tractor fell in a hole and I marked it with a stick
the other day I walked over to it and dug below it and found ashes at one foot deep
it had burnt corn cobs mixed in with ashes
I ended up finding quite a few cobs and a couple more the next day which are not in the photo
here are some images
must have been a small fire pit
I covered it up and will not dig any further, please dont tell me what to do with this land, I respect it and find plenty pieces walking the surface

I thank you in advance for your interest

Attachments

• IMG_0541.jpg
    IMG_0541.jpg
    203.1 KB · Views: 528
  • IMG_0533.jpg
    IMG_0533.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 531
  • IMG_0548.jpg
    IMG_0548.jpg
    200.9 KB · Views: 510
  • IMG_0546.jpg
    IMG_0546.jpg
    171.5 KB · Views: 508
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that is just too cool! Are you going to take those to a university and let them study them? I know you said you weren't going to dig any further, but I don't know how you can resist. I would have to see just what all was in the firepit if it was mine.

Thanks for the pictures larson. Very cool!!

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
I have marveled at the wonderful artifacts and richness of Larsons multi-component site. It is apparent that this site was heavily used over a considerable amount of time, it would be interesting if an archaeological survey could be done to determine dates and cultures. I`m not talking about digging up the whole village, just a test trench or area to determine exactly what went on there from the first evidence of occupation to the last. I`m sure a university would jump at the chance to survey and sample such a rich site. All artifacts would still belong to the owner but the knowledge gained would benefit all. Perhaps the land owner is just as curious as to what he has?

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't be able to resist digging either. the whole field would be under excavation. Don't think I would take my finds to the U tho. afraid they would take over, including the property. I don't have qualms 'bout their expertise normaly, but NA artifacts are a touchy subject. thanx for showing your finds

RPG

Bronze Member
Jan 10, 2009
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Silver Umax, Compadre, Vaquero
Rege-PA said:
I have marveled at the wonderful artifacts and richness of Larsons multi-component site. It is apparent that this site was heavily used over a considerable amount of time, it would be interesting if an archaeological survey could be done to determine dates and cultures. I`m not talking about digging up the whole village, just a test trench or area to determine exactly what went on there from the first evidence of occupation to the last. I`m sure a university would jump at the chance to survey and sample such a rich site. All artifacts would still belong to the owner but the knowledge gained would benefit all. Perhaps the land owner is just as curious as to what he has?

I'll bet there's a large burial ground nearby. Nice finds as always larson. :thumbsup:

Randy

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you know how your culture dealt with their dead? I know some burned them and others left them on platforms and others buried.Like here they would tie them up to make them as small as possible and then bury them in the refuse piles,(broken pottery,flint and shell garbage).
Have you ever come across any human bones? I think we all have seen them in the fields before?
I have seen lots of charcoal but man oh man never burnt corn. What do you think? 150 to 250 years old?

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
...just imagine what a developer would do to the land. Time to put up row after row of McMansions and scrape the dirt off bare. My mother grew up in a farm in Illinois back in the day, her woods was know as the place where the last Indian in the state was buried. There were many many mounds right along the river. Her Father wouldn't let anyone touch them. By the time I got to visit them as a kid they were all dug up by pot hunters.

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't be able to resist digging either. the whole field would be under excavation. Don't think I would take my finds to the U tho. afraid they would take over, including the property. I don't have qualms 'bout their expertise normaly, but NA artifacts are a touchy subject. thanx for showing your finds

i agree with you mama 100%

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow amazing...

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn,t tell you what to do with your own land. But falling in a hole,that johnny popper sounds dangerous!. I know a guy who will take it off your hands for a small fee. :laughing7:
Seriously quite a find. All those years gone by...

OP
OP
larson1951

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
Now that is just too cool! Are you going to take those to a university and let them study them? I know you said you weren't going to dig any further, but I don't know how you can resist. I would have to see just what all was in the firepit if it was mine.

Thanks for the pictures larson. Very cool!!

well reap....there was also an awful lot of ashes

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You always do the right thing. I like that about you Larson.

Viminacium

Mar 23, 2012
Detector(s) used
Caesar II prototype, minelab xplorer XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are afraid of some ashes? But you drive john deere for God sake! :P Now serious... You should do whatever you think its right. Listen to your brain.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
im with larson.why dig?he has been finding stuff there for as long as i have been on this site,even before i would guess.

Martingeetars

Dec 16, 2009
The south
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love it Steve, indian pop corn on a stick! Your land is holding for sure, love to see your posts!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread