Formerly Scattered Village Now Mandan, ND Two stories.

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Formerly Scattered Village Now Mandan, ND - Two stories.

I live in Mandan, ND and, as many other city, towns, parking lots or what ever, Mandan was settled on the site of very old village. The eastern third of the city is built over what has become known as Scattered Village. A number of years ago a big street project brought about an opportunity for archeological investigation. (below is a link to some of the dig info)

Okay, so I'm driving along in this area of town around the end of June and notice that someone has dug a basement and move a house on to it and it dawns on me that this is "Village" ground. Then I notice a pile of dirt at the back of the lot and it looked like it had "debris" in it. I got out to look and before I took 5 steps I picked up a pottery shard and spotted all kinds of buffalo bone and mussel shell debris. The entire yard was littered with bits and pieces. I picked up the bone tool, pottery shards and scrapers. There were also a number of artifacts picked up by others. krovert found the game piece with the "X" on that is in his http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/american-indian-artifacts/304986-nice-group-mandan-finds.html thread.

So now it's yesterday and I'm cruisin' down 1st St. on my way home from a stop by Steve's shop and I see a utility crew digging on both side of the street. I stop and walked over and ask if they'd seen any artifacts, broken bones, shells or anything unusual. They "didn't see nothing". I asked if I could look around a little and I turned around and picked up the quartzite blade. It was just laying there on the side of a pile of dirt. A hew minutes later one of the workers pulled a very nice bone awl.

Even though this isn't much or even all that nice (except the blade) I thought some might like see it. I think it's pretty cool. The link below is to some pretty good and thorough information from formal surveys down on Scattered Village.

NDDOT - Scattered Village Report

The group of photos with the "moved" house shows what attracted my attention.

Attachments

• Scat House (1280x722).jpg
    Scat House (1280x722).jpg
    261.2 KB · Views: 188
  • 2012-08-03_17-38-22_505 (1280x722).jpg
    2012-08-03_17-38-22_505 (1280x722).jpg
    139 KB · Views: 142
  • 2012-08-03_17-37-31_27 (1280x722).jpg
    2012-08-03_17-37-31_27 (1280x722).jpg
    132.3 KB · Views: 176
  • 2012-08-03_17-40-07_895 (1280x722).jpg
    2012-08-03_17-40-07_895 (1280x722).jpg
    158.2 KB · Views: 155
  • 2012-08-03_17-39-49_338 (1280x722).jpg
    2012-08-03_17-39-49_338 (1280x722).jpg
    165.2 KB · Views: 138
Upvote 0
Great story. Awesome blade....If I lived in that area I think I would be digging up my yard.

T.

Very Nice Blade! Opportunity Knocks; Go for it.

This is a great thread most hunters find artifacts in the country, Most people wouldn't think about finding artifact's in a town or a larger city, it makes you stop and think about what might be under the grass in our yards or under concrete sidewalks or foundations and houses and buildings. They were repaving our street one time and they had bladed up the old black top and were putting down a new rock bed before packing it and putting down new asphalt. We were looking at the rock late one afternoon after they had quit for the day and I looked down and there was a scraper they thad hauled in with the rock I still have it. It just make's you stop and think what might be under our feet.

This is a great thread most hunters find artifacts in the country, Most people wouldn't think about finding artifact's in a town or a larger city, it makes you stop and think about what might be under the grass in our yards or under concrete sidewalks or foundations and houses and buildings. They were repaving our street one time and they had bladed up the old black top and were putting down a new rock bed before packing it and putting down new asphalt. We were looking at the rock late one afternoon after they had quit for the day and I looked down and there was a scraper they thad hauled in with the rock I still have it. It just make's you stop and think what might be under our feet.

Thanks, it does make one think doesn't it? I know people who lived in the "Scattered Village" area of Mandan and heard many stories about finding points and other artifacts in their gardens and flower beds. Years back the neighbor of a guy I used to work with hit a cache of 13 points in a hole he was digging for a post.

You're right about what might be out in the yard. It pays to know a little about what went on in the area you live in before us.

It is great you live in a area so rich in artifacts and history these Mandan artifact's are so interesting.

Last edited:
Awesome blade find.:icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back