Wet Suit Experts Needed!

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely am going to buy myself a full body suit for the winter months immediately. Just not able to handle the colder stuff like I use to be able to do. One piece? Two piece? 5mm or is 3mm enough for my region? I have a 3mm shorty with long sleeves now that has just been on the warmth/comfort edge the last couple of outings (legs need some suit.) Today, with the colder air and strong wind I completely wimped out...so....time for a new suit but I know little about them. Lay it on me....I'm all ears. :dontknow:

Upvote 0

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 mm is enough if you buy a farmer john set (long sleeve), pants and top seperate.... Wear both and your double covered over torso where it counts..... Buy 2.5 to 3 mil, then if you have both on your wearing 5 to 6 mill on torso...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
3 mm is enough if you buy a farmer john set (long sleeve), pants and top seperate.... Wear both and your double covered over torso where it counts..... Buy 2.5 to 3 mil, then if you have both on your wearing 5 to 6 mill on torso...

When you look at wet suits, why are some one piece suits listed as being 3/2mm and such? Are there different mm's in different areas of the suit?

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a 7mm. iam from florida and freeze at sub 70degree seas

Man, I'm getting that way. Water is in the low 60's and as long as the air is fairly warm and the sun is out I'm fine, but toss in some clouds, the dampness, and a stiff wind and my skin starts looking for a campfire. :laughing7:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you look at wet suits, why are some one piece suits listed as being 3/2mm and such? Are there different mm's in different areas of the suit?

Usually means 3 mm in torso and 2 mill on arms and legs...

The thing iwth farmer john is you really have 3 suits. You have the long bottoms that go up to your shoulders, you have the top which is long sleave but shorty bottom, or you wear both... For the money you can't beat the farmer John..... I got mine on EBay for $35 shipped to house and it looked brand new.... It is Oceanic brand...

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Usually means 3 mm in torso and 2 mill on arms and legs...

The thing iwth farmer john is you really have 3 suits. You have the long bottoms that go up to your shoulders, you have the top which is long sleave but shorty bottom, or you wear both... For the money you can't beat the farmer John..... I got mine on EBay for $35 shipped to house and it looked brand new.... It is Oceanic brand...

I remember your's and you telling me that. I was on ebay just a bit looking at some farmers and it seemed like the way to go but just wasn't sure about how much mm or if there was anything else to keep in mind when buying them. Thanks TH. Sounds like a good way to go.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember your's and you telling me that. I was on ebay just a bit looking at some farmers and it seemed like the way to go but just wasn't sure about how much mm or if there was anything else to keep in mind when buying them. Thanks TH. Sounds like a good way to go.

Just being sure you get the correct size, you do not want it loose on you...

occy

Oct 21, 2012
St Aug
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal sword
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Buy a newer suit if possible. Wetsuit technology has come a long way in the last few years. Pay attention to the seam construction. You will want one that has glued and or taped seams or both. Just having flat or blindstitched seams will let a lot of water in.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Buy a newer suit if possible. Wetsuit technology has come a long way in the last few years. Pay attention to the seam construction. You will want one that has glued and or taped seams or both. Just having flat or blindstitched seams will let a lot of water in.

Good to know. Thanks!

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big scoop I dive California waters I use 7mm suit.If I am going to be in the water all day I wear a farmer john, warmer.Farmer john is also good for long hikes.I just bought a 8mm one piece not as warm it lets water in around the neck.I like having two layers on my chest.what ever suit you get make sure it fits outherwise you will be miserable. MAKE SURE IT FITS

Buried Crap NJ

Dec 5, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Minelab Excalibur II, Minelab GT,Compass XP-Pro,Fischer 1210X
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I have a 5mm I feel like Michelin Man 3mm is far better. I don't usally use it till it gets cold Jan Feb Beginning of March when the beach frezzes, the winds 30 mph and it 10 below. Last year I didn't ware it cause it was too hard to break in.
It was very unconfortable to ware.I was told to leave it out side in the weather? I was waring shorts and booties last week it was in the 60's like a heat wave!
BCNJ

surfnturf

Feb 28, 2010
East/West Coast
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATX, Excal II-10/WOT, E-TRAC
Stealth 720i hybrd
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use a 7mm. iam from florida and freeze at sub 70degree seas

HaHaHa!! I use a 7mm also a full 5mm with a 3mm shorty underneath!! Don't forget bootys and gloves.Gloves wear out fast! In Jan, feb and Mar I'm limited to waders! Winter Hunting Love it!!:tongue3:

SnT

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Big scoop I dive California waters I use 7mm suit.If I am going to be in the water all day I wear a farmer john, warmer.Farmer john is also good for long hikes.I just bought a 8mm one piece not as warm it lets water in around the neck.I like having two layers on my chest.what ever suit you get make sure it fits outherwise you will be miserable. MAKE SURE IT FITS

Man, and that seems to be questionable when you look at the various size charts. The one I have now (a shorty with long sleeves) is a large but fits great in the arms and chest, just too big on the upper legs. However, I'm nowhere near a large, 5' 8", 145lbs soaking wet. When I look at the size charts I usually fall in that "in between the sizes" on all of them. :BangHead: Don't want to go too large and don't want to go too big, so without actually trying them on how do you know?

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
scoop
call connie at wet wear - they are located in hallandale.................(800) 771-8081

she can make u any combination of suits.......different mm legs, arms, back..............o m g

i do not know if u can add link here, but just google wetwear

River Hound

Dec 17, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, and that seems to be questionable when you look at the various size charts. The one I have now (a shorty with long sleeves) is a large but fits great in the arms and chest, just too big on the upper legs. However, I'm nowhere near a large, 5' 8", 145lbs soaking wet. When I look at the size charts I usually fall in that "in between the sizes" on all of them. :BangHead: Don't want to go too large and don't want to go too big, so without actually trying them on how do you know?
TAKE THE TIME TO GO TO A DIVE SHOP AND TRY IT ON.THEN ITS HANDLED

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
If you want to hunt all day, and enjoy it...go drysuit. Turned a friend onto drysuits who hunts cooler waters and this is what he had to say after....

Turned out it's a perfect suit for water hunting, hunted for 17 hours over 3 days and stayed warm and dry the whole time hunting up to neck deep. I've been using wetsuits for over 30 years from steamers to full 7mm and this is my first Drysuit can't believe the difference, a lot more comfortable and easier to move in than a thick winter wetsuit. Was wearing just enough warm clothes on underneath to keep warm in the water but not sweat and be toasty warm out of the water on breaks.
Love not having to get into a wet wetsuit on a cold morning and not getting out of the water shivering.

OP
OP
bigscoop

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OBN,
One thing I have to keep in mind is the possibility that I can get caught in rip. Your friend mentioned "clothes on underneath" so couldn't this present a problem? I know zero about dry suits so....:dontknow:

OBN

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2008
Maryland Waters
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
"Excalibur"..
"AQ" Impulse
Primary Interest:
Other
You can dress as needed, shorts, what ever..no effect rips or not, but I always wear a manual inflateable PFD for one never knows about the next step. There are many Plus+++'s to drysuits, the only bad is something called Pee... some have Pee values and relief Zippers. ..........................Drysuit sizing, I go bigger for a couple reasons, I'm old and stiff..which bigger is easier to inter and exit the suit, plus you can dress as needed, lite for the warmer days, long underwear for the cooler days. Talc can make things easier also on the donning/fitting. Zipper wax is a plus for the zippers. Most drysuit have sock's, like the stocking foot waders, so you will need some type of wetshoe. My favorite type drysuit is Mustang Survival, and Multifabs of the UK, these are used by Military and Police Aviation...

My secret to a drysuit is Ebay, New with or without tags. Never used and knowing what to look for....And that would be Military or Police drysuits,..most bought at auctions, and never used, then put on ebay. Only problem is you have to watch and wait for the right one to come along. I have got some deals..just got another for 104.oo plus shipping, knowing under the survival suit, Mac200 outer shell, under is a drysuit MA7147 , worth about 800.oo

OBN0001.jpg SNAG-.jpg
Along with the cold,.. the Bay here in Maryland is very polluted, drysuits are the best protection one can have if you hunt these types of area's

I would recommend gettng a wetsuit first then watching for the deals, if you want I can keep a eye open, just let me know ...

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread