4 boxes of dimes with unique finds

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up 4 boxes that the bank had ordered for me and I just finished searching.
Box 1
2 silver dimes, 1953 and 1954. Also found not just one but two proofs, I have never found a proof before and I could hardly believe it, I found both of them in the first 20 rolls of the first box and from then on I became somewhat paranoid looking for other proofs. I found a beautiful 1996 (my birth year :hello2:) with a frosted background and a 1980 with a bad scratch on the back and evidence of circulation, it has a mirror background with a frosted design. I was just too exited when I found these.

Box 2
3 silver dimes, 1968 50%, 1966, 1958

Box 3
1 silver dime, 1951 King George VI. The first king dime I have found in a long time.

Box 4
1 silver dime, 1966 plus lots of the rolls had more than 50 coins in them so I think I ended up $3 ahead with them

Also from the boxes I found 2 british 5 pence and a 5 centavos cuba coin.

Upvote 0

BuffaloBoy

Gold Member
Feb 16, 2011
America
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That Canadian Guy said:
and a 5 centavos cuba coin.
I guess you can go to cuba and spend that! :laughing9:

Nice finds, especially proofs. Any american dimes in the mix?

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds! i Have about a tube and a half of silver canadians from about $100k searched here in the US, I get a bigger kick finding em than I do a mercury dime

AGBlex

Bronze Member
Sep 20, 2011
southern, Maine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
love ending up ahead! great job man silver is always fun to get

SFBayArea

Bronze Member
Aug 28, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Must really hurt your eyes to edge check those Canadian dimes that's if you have clear plastic wraps up there.

OP
OP
That Canadian Guy

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
SFBayArea said:
Must really hurt your eyes to edge check those Canadian dimes that's if you have clear plastic wraps up there.
You can't edge check canadian coins because they are made better than the american coins. Coins made from 1968-1999 are pure nickel and their edge is a similar colour to the silver, the modern steel coins also have a silver looking edge so from the edge it is very difficult to tell the difference just from the edge of non silver and silver. I dump the roll out and go over the dimes with a magnet because the nickel and the steel coins are magnetic as silver is not. Where I live we only have brinks as far as I know an all they do is distribute and ship coins and bank notes. The only time I have gotten clear plastic was when they are fresh from the mint, otherwise they are always in paper, and very rarely are they machine wrapped.
And buffalo boy, I always find about 50 or more american dimes, at first I saved them, but I ended up turning them back in because there isn't much to gain and they are everywhere. Since I only pull out silver, or proofs now, and those are rarely found, when I don't find something I just re-roll it to save time compared to counting them out.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions