What can you find in Canada or Two month summary LOTS of PICS

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Haven't posted in this forum for a while. So, I decided to take everything I found so far in the last two months, point out the finds that stand out of common and share with you, fellow hunters. This is the first time I found a silver commemorative dollar and silver halves for face value :goldtrophy:, as well as my first Indian Head penny :goldcoin:, along with 2 King George V pennies. I also found a good pile of both Canadian and American cents in AU grade and some other handsome and pretty looking coins. Enough words, let the pictures tell the story ;)

Keep hunting!

P.S: Finding the 119 years old coin, really motivates to keep searching, despite of skunks and small finding.

Attachments

• Summary-owerview.jpg
    Summary-owerview.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 141
  • Cents.jpg
    Cents.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 126
  • Nickel-enders.jpg
    Nickel-enders.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 111
  • Rabbit-nickels.jpg
    Rabbit-nickels.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 136
  • Silver-dollar.jpg
    Silver-dollar.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 0

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell how you came across the 50 cent pieces and the silver dollar. Those are some spectacular finds.

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Please tell how you came across the 50 cent pieces and the silver dollar. Those are some spectacular finds.

I had a feeling that I should go to that bank one day. I got in, bought 5$ worth of pennies. I was about to leave, but then I remembered to ask the question about my account fees and some transferring info. When the teller answered, I saw the head teller walking in and saying "tell him about half dollars and big "silver" dollars we have" I said, definitely, I'll take a look at them. Thinking to myself "oh boy, another big plastic bag of boring nickel halves and dollars". But then she comes, and places a small pile of "extremely good looking and quite noticeable, silverish and driving me crazy stuff"
There were 4 halves, I immediately spot the 3 silver ones, and last one was proof half. And then she gives me 3 dollar coins, one was just flawless the mirrored proof dollar "Frontenac" and two nickel dollars. I tried my best to hide the excitement and said that I'll buy those 5 (4 50 cents + dollar). So for 3$ I got 1991 Frontenac commemorative proof silver dollar, 1991 proof nickel half, and 3 silver halves (1964,1965,1965). I was quite happy with that purchase.:treasurechest:

baddbluff

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2011
vegas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are some pretty rad finds. Though, I must admit, I am COMPLETELY IGNORANT when it comes to Canadian coins... which are silver and/or have collectible value above face? Do you find much silver up there in the frozen north? Also, is it hard to pull the silver? Can you tell the difference easy enough to edge search or do you have to look at all the dates??

Thanks
HH
BB

OP
OP
Canadian hunter

Canadian hunter

Dec 19, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are some pretty rad finds. Though, I must admit, I am COMPLETELY IGNORANT when it comes to Canadian coins... which are silver and/or have collectible value above face? Do you find much silver up there in the frozen north? Also, is it hard to pull the silver? Can you tell the difference easy enough to edge search or do you have to look at all the dates??

Thanks
HH
BB

The silver in Canada can not be spotted by edge searching, because all dimes, quarters, halves and dollars (old) are of grey colour. The only way to get silver, which is still in the frozen wild, is to date check dimes and quarters. The availability of silver half dollars and dollars is very small in comparison to US. Only occasionally, people will cash in their dollars and halves, 90% of them being newer, nickel composition pieces. The silver one's easy to distinguish when you see them. Basically the rule is: big size= silver, small size= nickel.
Dimes and quarters are the same size for silver, nickel and nickel plated steel coins.

goldencoin

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2005
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds! Keep postin'

HH
-GC

Novapax

Jan 3, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Ok...I too know nothing about canadian (silver ) coins. I have a chart I found that tells what years the silver was in the dimes and quarters, but the ones I have found that are said to be silver...stick to magnets.

Could someone give me a run down of the years?

Novapax

That Canadian Guy

Sep 27, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't forget that spreading out the coins and swiping a magnet over top of them weeds out silver as well.

sagittarius98

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2012
Maryland
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions