USB Camera/Enlarger

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Where good deeds are performed daily
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
USB Camera/Enlarger and "wandering" mintmarks

I have recently went through 10,000 cents obtained from my bank that were customer wrapped. The bank dumps them all, sans wrappers, into $50 bags to ship to "Garda."

I encountered many "varieties" and wanted to take extreme close-up photos to exemplify the differences but my digital cameras are ineffective in rendering that type of photo.
I just ordered this USB Camera/Magnifier and was wondering if anyone else has a similar gadget.

usb camera.jpg

I would appreciate comments and tips as this is something that I'm not familiar with.

When I get the gadget and have adequate pictures to acompany,
I'll post a report of my finds of the 10,000 cents,
which includes a "blank planchette!"

Best Wishes,
Scott​

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Garrett Fortune Hunter, White's CoinMaster, Garrett American S3, Compass Coin Magnum and a couple of others you will only find in museums!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yo, is it any good?
Can you post a picture using yours?

Best,
Scott

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one recently. Mine is the $26 ones. Here is a picture for my 1909VDB ddo. Now I wish I got the $40 one.

1909-vdb-a.jpg 1909-vdb-b.jpg

Last edited:

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
AU24K said:
Yo, is it any good?
Can you post a picture using yours?

Best,
Scott

It's pretty cool. You can take a snapshot and put it on your computer then upload it If you want

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got one recently. Mine is the $26 ones. Here is a picture for my 1909VDB ddo. Now I wish I got the $40 one.

View attachment 686567 View attachment 686568

I can see the double of the first 9 but other than that, I can't discern any other differences.

My guess is that like a girlfriend or wife, you just have to spend time and effort to find the best ways to make the situation work. Things like angles, lighting, flowers, chocolates....

I bought the least expensive one I could find just to "get my feet wet" on gadgets to provide decent extreme close-up pics.

As a collector of coins, currency, stamps and many other things, I determined that the ability to take extreme close-up pics is a necessity.

When I get my gadget, if I discover any tips or tricks, I'll certainly post my findings.

Best Wishes,
Scott

Last edited:
OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a link to the model that you bought? Can the gadget adjust the zoom or is it locked into a specific magnification?

[h=2]Product Features[/h]
  • Use in Inspection dissection/examination, Plant dissection/examination, Skin examination, Scal examination, Textile Inspection, Jewelry Inspection, Collections/Coin Inspection, Printing Inspection, PCB or PCBA Inspection and so on.
  • Image sensor: 2 Mega Pixels. Video Capture Resolution: 160x120,320x240,640x480,1280x1024. Still Image Capture Resolution: 160x120, 320x240,640x480,1280x1024.
  • Exposure: Auto. Photo format: JPEG. Light source: 8 LED. PC interface: Mini USB1.1&2.0.
  • Power source: 5V DC from USB port. Gray scale: Level 8. Sleep current:£¼1 mA. Work current:£¼180 mA. Magnification Ratio: 20x to 200x.
  • Operation system: Windows XP, Vista, Win7, Mac OS X 10.5 or above. Color£ºBalck.

Best,
Scott

keemao

Sep 28, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a product name, a link to their website or something more specific than the specs.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How about a product name, a link to their website or something more specific than the specs.

Friend,
I have provided all of the information that I have at this time.
Until I get it, to me, it is a crap shoot.
It is a cheap model shipped I suppose from China. Bought on Amazon.

If you are computer saavy, and understand at least half of my previous post's technical jargon, then you are smarter than me.....
Bravo and excel!

Now, is there anything else that I may help you with?

Best,
Scott

Last edited:

Yinzi50

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased this one last month. I should receive it in the next couple of weeks.

magnifyer.jpg

UncleMatt

Bronze Member
Jul 14, 2012
Albuqerque, NM / Durango, CO
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium & Gold Bug II, Bazooka Super Prospector Sluice
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

FreedomUIC

Bronze Member
Jan 4, 2010
NUNYA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have this unit and I can 100% say it was a waste of money. I used it at least dozen times trying to get it to work the way I want. It is extremely touchy and the stand does not
do a really good job of holding the camera in place, especially at high resolution. I put mine in the box and never looked back.

I wouldn't waste my money on this particular product.

Take it for what it is worth.

Eminem

Banned
Jul 20, 2012
Motor City
Detector(s) used
Not sure
Primary Interest:
Other
FreedomUIC said:
I have this unit and I can 100% say it was a waste of money. I used it at least dozen times trying to get it to work the way I want. It is extremely touchy and the stand does not
do a really good job of holding the camera in place, especially at high resolution. I put mine in the box and never looked back.

I wouldn't waste my money on this particular product.

Take it for what it is worth.

I had that problem too just put the cord facing the opposite of the direction of the lens and it will balance with no problem.

OP
OP
AU24K

AU24K

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate everyone taking the time to reply.

Being an "old fart," all of this computer technology is greek to me.
As I mentioned, it is all a "crap shoot" to me.
I'll either be happy or search further for what I'm looking for.

I merely thought others might provide their experiences.

May you all find what YOU are looking for!

My Best Wishes,
Scott

Last edited:

Senor

Sep 25, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just purchased this one last month. I should receive it in the next couple of weeks.

View attachment 687066

I just received this one. The reason I had ordered it is because it was Mac compatible. However, apparently they all are if you open up the program Photobooth, which comes with a Mac.

Pros:
It manually adjusts focus and zooms the closer it is to an object.
It has 4 adjustable led lamps to light up the surface of the object.

Cons:
I wish it had a larger area.
I wish it could zoom in more.
The object is a reverse image, but it corrects when you take a photo.

Attached are some photos that I took and I'm still learning to use it. Until I used this microscope, I didn't realize that president Lincoln was inside of the Lincoln memorial on the reverse of the cent.

Photo on 10-15-12 at 4.49 PM #2.jpg Photo on 10-16-12 at 10.37 AM.jpg Photo on 10-16-12 at 10.54 AM.jpg Photo on 10-15-12 at 4.31 PM.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread