what am I missing?

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I found 3 barber dimes and 2 mercury dimes in the past 2 weeks at a field by an old school.
I found 1 each time except one hunt I found 2. A couple times I just left after I found one coin
I want this place to last forever. Since it cooled off in October I have found 13 silver coins all dimes
except one war nickel. I hunt in a small town and I hunt places that have been pounded. I assume
the quarters and bigger have all been found? or are they are too deep and I am missing them?
My program I like is ( copied mostly from Andy's book )
8 des
4 tones
351 8.0
603 45
800 71
92 sensitivity I usually turn up to 95-99 if possible
frequency 7.8
tx 2
iron vol 2
reactivity 2.5
audio response 4
no notch
Ground balance I use tracking

I wonder if anyone has any ideas to get more depth. Mostly I am looking for older coins especially silver,
Most of the time when I chase faint sounds I end up finding a small piece of metal sometimes over 12" deep.
Oh yea along with older silver coins I wouldn't mind finding gold bars. When I find coins I sometimes bury the
coin back and try different settings and frequencies to try to unlock something I am missing.

Thanks and Happy Holidays to all!

Last edited:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
move audio respon to 5 and it will make the faint ones hit harder .....the downside is every thing will hit harder but when I'm looking for the deep ones I just want to be able to hear them.

Obsessive

Apr 16, 2017
NW Portland, OR
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/MI-6 w/ HF/XF/LF
Tesoro Cibola / Land and Sea pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought turning up the tx power would increase depth?

Sounds like a great site, congrats on the finds and good luck finding more.

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
its according to your soil...

IDXMonster

Mar 16, 2014
New Glarus,WI
Detector(s) used
Current….Deus2, ExplorerSEPro, Explorer2, IDXPro-M
Past….Deus1, CTX3030, Equinox800, eTrac, Compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that silver quarters and halves around here tend to be very deep. That’s because those are the only ones left,the ones that GOT that far down before someone came along and picked all the shallow to medium stuff. Or...they can be contained in coin spills with whacky readings as I encountered recently. But yes,back in the day most guys who were after the monetary value in weight,they would target the quarters and halves first,as many clad hunters do today for the face value of the coins.
Sounds like a really promising site,good luck! Calabash is a really good operator,hopefully he can offer some long distance help...

gene the machine

Apr 24, 2012
Western New York
Detector(s) used
Compass Coin Magnum, Garrett GTP1350, Minelab CTX 3030, XP Deus, Nokta Impact
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
if your conditions permit i'd try tx3 and react at 2 with silencer at 0. see if that helps. good luck

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Near Ground Zero for Insanity
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, 4 khz will give you the deepest penetration on high conductive silver (plus it also automatically locks TX power at 3 so all you have to do is just change your program frequency 4 khz to get the benefit of both).

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bumped my frequency all the way to 74 khz and have been sucking the relics out of the ground since then.

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with HF/x35 Coils and Mi6 Pinpointer/ML Equinox 600/800/ML Tarsacci MDT 8000 GPX 4800/Garrett ATX/Fisher F75 DST/Tek G2+/Delta/Whites MXT/Nokta Simplex/Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bumped my frequency all the way to 74 khz and have been sucking the relics out of the ground since then.

HF is good for mid-conductors (typical of most relics and gold) to do that but that runs counter to convention for high conductive silver, although that has not stopped you from snagging silver (probably not super deep though) as you have shown me time and again. Lol.

OP
OP
A

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I can't wait to experiment.
I really can't wait to turn up the audio response to 5 or higher even. I remember playing
around one day and lowering it on a silver coin I found and I couldn't hear it on 1 or 2 and
thought 4 was where I'd keep it, never thought about going higher. I seem to miss simple
things all the time??? I am in Florida sand and I wondered often if I should just try dry beach
sometimes. It really is white sand in allot of places.
Happy and Safe New Years to all!

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dry beach is the same as what you are using except iron volume is turned off but more importantly, silencer is cranked to 4 which some say may affect depth (kind of a mixed bag) - though not sure what you had it set to in your program above.

OP
OP
A

achetadomestica

Feb 5, 2017
Detector(s) used
xp deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The program above I use the preset silencer setting and never changed it, I think it was on 1.

Today I went to an old school playground I hit with new programs. I have hit this place more then
any where else I hunt and so has every one else. I found my oldest coin there when I was hunting with
my son a 1900 Barber dime. I used the following tweaks to my old program thanks to the suggestions.

8 des
4 tones
351 8.0
603 45
800 71
95 sensitivity
frequency 4.0
tx 3
iron vol 2
reactivity 2
silencer 0
audio response 5
no notch
Ground balance I use tracking

Well guys I found my first barber quarter 1907 at 13". I got a faint repeatable reading
with no VDI # I dug down and found a gold colored what looks like a part of a bracelet
at about 10". I checked the hole and still heard the faint hit. Then bam my first barber. I am
certain I have been over this area with the factory presets and some other programs. I feel
like I owe Calabash digger, Obsessive, IDX monster, Gene the machine, and vferrari
a steak dinner. This is so exciting for me. I can't wait to go over all the places I have been with
this new tweaked program, I also found a wheat penny that was clear with the Audio response
on 5 that I missed previously. It was around 8". I feel like I got a new detector and am starting over
THANKS GUYS! Come get your steak dinner, I also dug 3 very small pieces of metal that were 8"-10"
deep that were showing mid 90's vdi numbers. This tweaked program is incredible! barber quarter.jpg

vferrari

Silver Member
Jul 19, 2015
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty! Congrats!

I would stick with that program if it is working because those are good general settings especially for deep silver. The key now is keeping the settings constant and learning the machine's tones. At some point you might want to experiment with full tones to see what it sounds like. You can do this by simply switching to full tones on your program and all your multi-tone breakpoints will remain saved and you can go back to them (or keep them as your default tone setting) any time. You can also just clone this program in an adjacent slot and just save it as a full tones vice multi-tone program. But at this point I would stay away from tweaking too much and just go out there and hit your sites with your program.

HH

HuntinDog

Bronze Member
May 26, 2010
No. Cal.
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS / MXT PRO / Garrett ProPointer
Wow
Congrats on the Barber and other finds.
That steak dinner sounds like a great party....
Can I come??
I might learn a few things :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread