rayoh
Full Member
- Joined
- Jan 13, 2017
- Messages
- 173
- Reaction score
- 499
- Golden Thread
- 0
- Location
- northeast Ohio
- Detector(s) used
- Minelab Etrac-Notka Legend
- Primary Interest:
- All Treasure Hunting
- #1
Thread Owner
I have not been out much this year as I have a very sick wife. The weather here in northeast Ohio has been perfect for detecting, wet ground and cool temps, but not for me. Yesterday I had time to detect and took the VX9 out to the old fairgrounds. This place is large, but heavily hunted by many people. I can usually scrape out a wheat penny or two if I am in the right frame of mind to wade through the trash.
I had hunted for about an hour or so with a handful of clad coins when I saw what I thought was evidence of a water line being dug straight through the oldest part of the grounds. When I got over to it, I realized it was only about a inch wide trench about a foot deep. Some sort of computer fiber optic line that was about a quarter mile long.
Within ten feet of starting my search I got a solid 83 on the Vortex. About four inches down in the loose soil, BAM 1910 Barber dime! Now I realized what I might have here. The next two coins were both Indians from the 1880's. About a hundred foot further, I eyeballed a green coin on the side of the mounded dirt. Another Indian that was too crusty to get a date. The final coin was small and extremely crusted and I believe it to be a Flying Eagle penny. I am cleaning and hoping it to be this type of penny. It would be my first in 30 years of detecting.
This is a great hobby and just when you think there are no more good targets to be found, something like this happens. This makes me believe that there are many more old coins hiding deeper. I have found several hundred silver coins here with most being 8-10 inches deep. Were these coins too deep or too masked for me to have missed them in the past?
I had hunted for about an hour or so with a handful of clad coins when I saw what I thought was evidence of a water line being dug straight through the oldest part of the grounds. When I got over to it, I realized it was only about a inch wide trench about a foot deep. Some sort of computer fiber optic line that was about a quarter mile long.
Within ten feet of starting my search I got a solid 83 on the Vortex. About four inches down in the loose soil, BAM 1910 Barber dime! Now I realized what I might have here. The next two coins were both Indians from the 1880's. About a hundred foot further, I eyeballed a green coin on the side of the mounded dirt. Another Indian that was too crusty to get a date. The final coin was small and extremely crusted and I believe it to be a Flying Eagle penny. I am cleaning and hoping it to be this type of penny. It would be my first in 30 years of detecting.
This is a great hobby and just when you think there are no more good targets to be found, something like this happens. This makes me believe that there are many more old coins hiding deeper. I have found several hundred silver coins here with most being 8-10 inches deep. Were these coins too deep or too masked for me to have missed them in the past?







