Nooooo! Not another "park finds post"!!

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope! Not even close - you don't find THIS stuff in a "park" (at least not here in MI)!

Got a tip last fall on an 1860s property that is nothing more than a patch of woods now as the home has been gone since before 1900 (trust me - I did my research) and is part of what is now a large farm. With permission in hand

and

itching to get out the Gold Bug Pro - I drove the 20 miles to get to the property and met up with my hunting partner for the day.

I pulled a medal from 1883 from the Women's Relief Corps?? that's a 1st for me

and

an 1848 LG cent from a massive iron infested area that was badly encrusted - I had to scrub it with a brillo pad to remove layers of crud only to find that it's badly PITTED!

Found a few copper plates/etc. a hand made looking pressure gage thing of sorts, some do-dads and what I think is a mirror frame of some type - it has remnants of mother of pearl over the metal? Also found a few pieces of iron farm implements that I left behind.

My partner using his Deus found a skeleton key, 2 Indian Heads (1881 1888) - a barely recognizable V Nickel (couldn't tell the date) and some relics similar to the stuff shown below! All in all it was a great hunt and a refreshing welcome to hunt something other than a park or school for the 1st time this yr!

HH all

farmfeild (1).JPG
farmfeild (2).JPG

Last edited:

wvwildman

Silver Member
Jan 3, 2013
fayette county wv
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO, 5X8 DD, white's coin master pro, 4X6 DD, garrett propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nice finds congrats HH you sure thats not a v nickel

L0STANDF0UND

Mar 29, 2013
Maysville Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yup, its been tough finding a decent place to go around Grand Rapids. I think you're right about the private property, seems to be about it around here, well, that and the lake mi beach. Whatta shame. I'm waiting to get word back from my friend's uncle. He's got an old 1800 farmhouse bordering a former river-mill. Got my fingers crossed on that1

Mike from MI

Silver Member
Oct 13, 2007
Vicksburg Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Etrac, Minelab Explorer II, Exterra 30, Fisher CZ-21, and CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now them are two sweet finds! WTG!

sonofadigger

Bronze Member
Apr 22, 2012
SOMEWHERE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MINELAB E-TRAC MINELAB SAFARI TEKNETICS OMEGA 8000 GARRETT AT PRO GARRETT PRO POINTER VIBRA PROBE 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

postalgriff

Silver Member
Aug 7, 2008
Southern Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
sounds like a great spot you found there!....congrats on the LC and that medal is a sweet find! glad your partner found some keepers too! good stuff!

Michiganne

Silver Member
Mar 27, 2007
SW Michigan
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent finds, lonewolfe. :icon_thumright: Glad you were able to hunt some new turf. Congrats on the LC...may be pitted but still has a nice image. Cool WRC medal; nice save on that one. :thumbsup:

HH

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Lonewolf. You guys had a good day.It just shows how quick the relics are rotting in the ground. You did a good job on saving some. Is the area heavily fertilized? Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
lonewolfe

lonewolfe

Gold Member
Feb 14, 2005
West Michigan
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
A stick with a box at one end and a round thing on the other.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great hunt Lonewolf. You guys had a good day.It just shows how quick the relics are rotting in the ground. You did a good job on saving some. Is the area heavily fertilized? Thanks for sharing.

Yes - I found the LG cent in the farm field just outside of the lot where the house stood so I imagine there is fertilizer used which caused the pitting.

The medal was found closer to where the house would have been standing (the yard basically).

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes - I found the LG cent in the farm field just outside of the lot where the house stood so I imagine there is fertilizer used which caused the pitting.

The medal was found closer to where the house would have been standing (the yard basically).

The fertilizer is killing us on the coppers. Good saves sir.

Brentallica

Bronze Member
May 6, 2009
Michigan
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great Hunt!! Big Congrats on the old Largie and that medal is super cool and in great shape too!! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread