Another Deadmans Cove fossil

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Deadman fossil 028 (800x450).jpg Went back to Deadman's Cove in central Montana and found this shell cast. Some outer casts of baculites with it but the center seems soft so they wash away. I had to put stabilizer on it to hold it together. Any ideas on a specie?

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the negative print of an ammonite. You may want to look in the general vicinity for the actual ammonite. Very Nice imprint! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I couldn't find any of the whole ones even with the baculites. Maybe in a dryer area where they don't wash away. This was in the water. Up at Winnett I find pieces but no whole ones.

Oct 13, 2015
U.S.A.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you can find a fossilized ammonite some at high grade are valued as one of 3 precious gems in this category: Pearls, fossilized Amber and Ammonite

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I collect ammonites, if I found that, it would definately go into my collection! Nice find! Love to see more if you find them too, one day I want to get out to the eastern part of the state to find some Meekie ammonites!

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This one is in the American Museum of Natural History in NYC (of "Night in the Museum" fame) and it just dazzles the eyes. Still images don't do it anywhere near justice. It's about 30" across!

Iridescent_Ammonite_Fossil.jpg

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For ammonites try east of Roundup, and north of Hyshum. I have found them with the yellow calcite crystals inside them.

folder #1 222.JPG folder #1 221.JPG

OP
OP
salvageon

salvageon

Oct 17, 2013
Roundup, MT
Detector(s) used
Old White.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for all the info and suggestions. I'll definitely check them out. You might like my new find I'll post today.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread