Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The watch-
Unfortunately, only the band is a Rolex. I bought this a couple weeks back but never posted it. The watch is a Lord Elgin Aquamaster (60's-70's?) in working condition. Maybe worth $50. The band is a Rolex Crocodile with 18k buckle clasp. $250 maybe, only because it has an extra hole punched in the band. I guess the previous owner was a very small person. I can barely fit it on my wrist in the last hole but that's always the case.

DSC02649.jpg DSC02651.jpg 101_0208.jpg

Here are some more of my finds-

DSC02652.jpg

Pictured are 3 insulators, 2 Whithall Tatum's on either end and a AM TEL & TEL Co. in the middle. I also picked up a few tomato crate labels and the Victorian advertising trade card to go with them.

DSC02659.jpg

Last but not least are a few pieces of Fenton including an opalescent green basket and two amethyst (wisteria?) hobnail opalescent tumblers. Must be pretty rare, I can't find a match to the tumblers anywhere. These have hobnails on the bottoms too. Might not even be Fenton. Maybe Hobbs? Still researching.

Thanks for looking.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll no doubt do well on the strap, but maybe really well if it was issued on an early watch and you find the right buyer who has the watch. A little research could be worth it.

I assume there's no other additional numbers, and too bad it's not a bracelet with the model # engraved into it. I know my watches I can date both the head and bracelets... and it's funny, after owing one for many months I discovered the dealer sold me the old version of the bracelet on the new edition of the watch... which I had him correct... but it shows you how the companies do keep track of this stuff. But a leather strap with a tang buckle will obviously be harder to figure out. I guess the obvious starting point would be to see if you can find one for sale.

PS: You can probably find a good used band and sell the watch at a decent profit too, as I assume you paid very little for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You'll no doubt do well on the strap, but maybe really well if it was issued on an early watch and you find the right buyer who has the watch. A little research could be worth it.

I assume there's no other additional numbers, and too bad it's not a bracelet with the model # engraved into it. I know my watches I can date both the head and bracelets... and it's funny, after owing one for many months I discovered the dealer sold me the old version of the bracelet on the new edition of the watch... which I had him correct... but it shows you how the companies do keep track of this stuff. But a leather strap with a tang buckle will obviously be harder to figure out. I guess the obvious starting point would be to see if you can find one for sale.

PS: You can probably find a good used band and sell the watch at a decent profit too, as I assume you paid very little for it.
I've seen the bands on several different styled Rolex's. The only other marks are very faint and on the underside of the strap. Just remnants of the crown with Rolex of Geneva under that. Genuine Crocodile is also barely readable on the other piece. I think the money is going to be in the buckle itself. The strap itself has some creasing and it does have an extra hole (slightly off centered) fashioned into it. I only gave $10 for it. I probably have a nice vintage band to put on the watch to sell separately.

apush

Bronze Member
Dec 21, 2009
U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
ACE 250; Lone Star
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You should do very well with the Rolex band. Your scores are great!
apush

nsdq

Silver Member
Oct 16, 2011
Tarpon springs FL
Detector(s) used
AT-Pro,Ace 150, flea market digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i like the watch and have a band that will fit it

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
When I first started lurking in the garage sales section, the first finds I ever admired were Diggum's. This post reminds me of those types of scores. Glad to see you are still sniffing out the good stuff. Congrats!

acevillav

May 5, 2005
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Those insulators are way cool and cha - ching on the watch! Another outstanding score

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually pass on most insulators unless they are colored. I have sold a few of the Whithall Tatum's before so I know they are decent sellers. These 2 are in mint condition too, just a little scotch tape mark on the one. I still can's find anything on the tumblers though.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The band sold for over $400. :icon_thumright:

That doesn't surprise me at all. Watch bands and bracelets are very pricey for the brand name watches. I'm sort of used to it now, but a few years ago a friend said he was buying one for a few hundred and I thought he was insane. But now I guess I'm insane too. :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread