Forest service gate question

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I have been having a problem with a gate that is on forest service property where I have mining claims.
The problem is another guy who has claims up the same gulch goes through these periods where he changes the locks from the forest service locks to whatever he puts on of his.so I go up there yesterday and what do you know a new lock and no way for me to get in.i have to drive 2.5 hours to get there and I can't even get in.
Last year I had to deal with this 3 or 4 times calling the forest service to come and cut the locks and put there's back on.i cut the lock off once last year but don't like leaving the gate open.
This time he welded up some kind of pipe over the shaft so you can't lift it up to cut it and I see no way there going to be able to reach it with lock cutters..
Over the last couple years this has been happening the forest service hasn't even done anything to him all they do is replace locks.
Do I have some kind of law suit here or what are my options.the guy thinks he owns all the and up there and constantly running off hikers or anybody walking up the road.i need to some how teach him or the forest service some kind of lesson

can

Dec 26, 2015
NC
Detector(s) used
xp DEUS, excal sword,ctx 3030, garrett carrot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
put your lock in the same loop. locking him and all his stuff in, so he cant get out. THen he will have to make a call

Alex Burke

Apr 3, 2013
NorCal
Detector(s) used
BH, GB2
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
This is actually a common issue because some people are just idiots lol. If you put a different lock on there you are breaking the law as he has and its best to avoid doing that obviously.

For example, if there was a fire and they needed the road to get to the fire but his lock is on there delaying their response? I'm guessing the FS would be upset and he could get in serious trouble in that situation especially if he's welded bars and made it time consuming to get past.

He just has a mineral claim like you it doesn't grant exclusive use of the land, you could camp and fish on his claim and he couldn't and shouldn't do anything to stop you. Him running off hikers and the like gives miners a bad reputation and doesn't help anyone including himself.

You can easily get his name and address to send him a letter stating you have the right under federal law to access your claim. How to draft this letter or what to say or if this would be the best approach I'm not sure but people in the gold mining forum know all the laws about this subject and can give you better advice than I.

The year the road was built may be important also because only roads built before the mid 70's have to be kept open by the Feds to allow access to mining claims or something like that. Wish I had a clear cut good answer but try posting this in gold forum and see what they say. If all else fails just start inviting college kids to keggers on his claim:)

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
Good points Alex. I'd also add that, IF you choose to send this person a letter, also send a CC to Forest Service. Make sure there's an official trail showing you're respectfully and officially trying to get this situation resolved.

As a last resort, you could always buy a battery-operated angle grinder. :laughing7:

In any case, make sure to photo-document as much of this hassle as you can. The more proof on your side, the worse for him.

hvacker

Bronze Member
Aug 18, 2012
New Mexico USA
Detector(s) used
My Head
Primary Interest:
Other
Go to YouTube. there are a ton of video's showing how to pick pad locks real fast.
Ebay even sells pick kits but check your state if your allowed to possess them. Some states consider them burglar tools.
An option is to make your own out of windshield wiper metal strips.
This way you could re-lock the gate and not be accused of property damage.

Just a thought.
My instincts would be to cut it off with my welding torch but that might cause you problems.

OP
OP
D

danec71

Oct 14, 2014
washington
Detector(s) used
At gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Talked to forest service about it today.main guy says he going to forward the info to a couebpeople and there law enforcement.i have heard all this before.i guess we will see.dont really want to go any extreme route because I do have to see this guy up there once in awhile but I don't care I will do what I have to.he doesn't intimidate me as a matter of fact I had it out with him one day when he tried to block me going up the road and he ended telling me he would shoot me.went to the cops they did nothing.the next morning he was apologizing like a baby.but I have had enough .over 2 hours to get there is a lot of time to not be able to get in.i guess I could go to the police and try to get him on denying me entry into my claims.here in Washington that is a class c felony

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DOCUMENT, , DOCUMENT, , DOCUMENT.
That includes letters, pictures, and sending copies of all communications to the local law enforcement agency. If you could film this guy unlocking the lock with a key, you should have an open and shut case.
Nobody who works for a government agency likes a letter writer. It means they may have to get off their
A$$ to cover their A$$.

kcm

Gold Member
Feb 29, 2016
NW Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
Other
We've had troubles with our nearest neighbor for years. Many times I would be videoing what's happening, but would let the recorder rest casually in my hand while down at my side. The camera had already documented who was there, so this way it was positive proof of what was said. He never had a clue the camera was still recording.

If this guy has already threatened to shoot you, be VERY wary of him. Doesn't sound stable at all. Doesn't matter if you're holding a gun in your hands at the time or not. Threatening someone's life is SERIOUS bad news!

GA_Boy

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2006
Jefferson, Ga
Detector(s) used
BH LRP
1265X,
GoldBug II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You, the other guy, and the Forest service can connect your locks in series and any one of you will have access anytime.
Marvin

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be careful with this guy! There was an episode on Dateline NBC recently that was a lot like your situation. It was called "The Feud" and it ended badly for both people. One person was shot to death and the other was charged with his murder. Here's a link to the episode:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread