Deus, Etrac what to buy. help please.

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello well i am trying to take my time and narrow down what i need to buy. I am looking now at the Deus and the Etrac. I know everyone will say go to the ctx 3030 but at the moment i cannot swing the price since i can pick up a used etrac or deus or even new ones not to expensive. I am hoping to find someone who has had or has both machines and can help me determine what would work me.
I live in Arkansas but i have no set type of detecting style. I am not just a coin hunter or relic hunter but i would like to hunt anything i can hit on. I would like to be able to find jewelry as i would like to offer a free local service to help find lost items for people. We have old farm houses and homesteads b/c we have a lot of old history here. I have been trying to narrow this all down by myself but i have not been able to. since the deus has 4 freq and the etrac has i think 28 but searches them all at one time. The etrac has to be hunted with a lot slower and i have read that if a nail is over a coin on in the same area forget about ever finding the coin. I would think in my area we would have a lot of nails, metal spikes, bullets and such from long ago times.
I have read the deus can separate items like nothing else but this is all in reading. Finding someone that has experience with both would be greatly helpful..

Now i would love to have the 3030 but i have also been told and watched a few videos of it completely missing and not hitting on a gold ring and that to me sounds strange but again really not talking about the 3030 unless i can find one really cheap..

If it help my atpro that i am about to ship off b/c of a sale had always ground balanced to around 75 or so when sensitivity was a few clicks down from the max.

Thank you very much in advance.

Upvote 0

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xp deus I like... I have ctx 3030 and deus. I love them both but mostly use deus on land. And ctx 3030 is great on wet beach. I haven't tried deus on beach yet. Both are good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Xp deus I like... I have ctx 3030 and deus. I love them both but mostly use deus on land. And ctx 3030 is great on wet beach. I haven't tried deus on beach yet. Both are good.

I would really like the ctx but that amount of money is the issue lol.. We make a trip to the ocean normally once a year to visit some family for a week or so. We have some rivers about an hours drive from here but i have only ever hunted around the water a few times and on the beach maybe 3-4 times ever.

Metal Detecting Stuff

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Mar 19, 2012
Spring TX
Detector(s) used
CTX3030/F75LTD/ Garrett AtPro/ XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on your style and type of targets, I'd give the edge to the XP Deus. It will respond faster in the iron that you will hit at old home sites. I have a local customer that has found 46 rings with his XP Deus this year. Give me a call if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

MrMikeJackie

Bronze Member
Nov 3, 2013
Long Island
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030,
Xp Deus,
That's it, I'm done.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Seems like the Etrac would suit your needs just fine. Better choice of coils, aftermarket parts, and flexibility of use.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had an ATPRO but there was always a major issue with a massive amount of noise and chatter. After about 5 days of non stop testing it ended up being the batteries believe it or not.. But i had already posted it for sale and someone else wants it now so looking for something new.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Based on your style and type of targets, I'd give the edge to the XP Deus. It will respond faster in the iron that you will hit at old home sites. I have a local customer that has found 46 rings with his XP Deus this year. Give me a call if I can help you in your decision.

Wayne

(832) 928-9135

www.metaldetectingstuff.com

Thats the thing i have no set place to hunt or a place i dedicate to hunt. Jewelry and coins i guess would be the main thing. Let me ask this. The Deus has 4 different freq. How do i know what freq i need to use? The at pro was like 14khz i think but you couldnt change it.

sproatz

Oct 2, 2014
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Whites spectra v3i with multiple coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
YouTube it

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
The Etrac is a killer machine. I hunt around them all of the time, and they work really well, however they have wired headphones and are slow and heavy.

I have used the Deus for about a year exclusively. Wireless and light weight... you just can't say enough about these two features. They make the whole experience a lot better. The Deus is very flexible, you can tune it all sorts of different ways, or leave it alone and just hunt.

You can't go wrong with either machine.

Last edited:

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Thats the thing i have no set place to hunt or a place i dedicate to hunt. Jewelry and coins i guess would be the main thing. Let me ask this. The Deus has 4 different freq. How do i know what freq i need to use? The at pro was like 14khz i think but you couldnt change it.

You can't change ATP... single frequency machine. I use 12Khz... and cross check targets with 4Mhz. Different frequencies are best for specific targets... 18Khz works best for small jewelry. 12 and 8Khz work good for coins. If you are getting interference on one frequency, you can shift to another. Andy Sabich's book is an excellent resource for all of this info. If you go Deus, get that book and read it... over and over.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Etrac is a killer machine. I hunt around them all of the time, and they work really well, however they have wired headphones and are slow and heavy.

I have used the Deus for about a year exclusively. Wireless and light weight... you just can't say enough about these two features. They make the whole experience a lot better. The Dues is very flexible, you can tune it all sorts of different ways, or leave it alone and just hunt.

You can't go wrong with either machine.

What do you thing about your deus compared to the etrac's you hunt around? Comparatively speaking?

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can't change ATP... single frequency machine. I use 12Khz... and cross check targets with 4Mhz. Different frequencies are best for specific targets... 18Khz works best for small jewelry. 12 and 8Khz work good for coins. If you are getting interference on one frequency, you can shift to another. Andy Sabich's book is an excellent resource for all of this info. If you go Deus, get that book and read it... over and over.

You cant change the ATP frequency correct but it does have 4 operating channels thats what i was talking about. This is kinda what i mean about the deus and 4 frequencies. Knowing what to run on and making sure ot be on the correct channel. I imagine it would be a large learning curve but not against it by no means b/c at this point any detector i buy will have a large learning curve.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
Whatever you buy, stick with it and learn that machine. There is no machine that says "you are over a gold coin, dig it".

If you don't learn the machine, you're in for a not so great experience and that is what happened with the at pro which happens to be a fantastic coin and jewelry machine.

Any way you can try before you buy? That's what I'd want to do if I were looking at either machine.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have come across a couple people selling the deus with no warranty for like 800-900 with headphones. Wouldk it be worth it or shop around for some remaining warranty? or even buy new?

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Whatever you buy, stick with it and learn that machine. There is no machine that says "you are over a gold coin, dig it".

If you don't learn the machine, you're in for a not so great experience and that is what happened with the at pro which happens to be a fantastic coin and jewelry machine.

Any way you can try before you buy? That's what I'd want to do if I were looking at either machine.

What do you mean by the statement above. Yes i absolutely hated the machine b/c it wouldn't operate. This was not a fault of me not learning the machine by any means. It was a fault that i couldn't control. I spend 5 days back and forth testing all sorts of components and putting it under different senerios to try and learn what the issue was and it ended up being luck that i had found what the issue was?
I wish there was a way for me to try them out before i purchased them but there are no local shops een remotely close and no other local detectors other than one i know of that has a 3030.

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX and Etrac are not nearly as complicated as it may seem. They can be a turn on and go machine right out of the box. Yes both are highly adjustable but not necessary for a long time until you really understand what each setting actually does.

OP
OP
A

altereddezignz

Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The CTX and Etrac are not nearly as complicated as it may seem. They can be a turn on and go machine right out of the box. Yes both are highly adjustable but not necessary for a long time until you really understand what each setting actually does.

I have used the ctx but it was just for a VERY short time like 2-3 time no more than 30 min or so each time.

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
When you buy the new machine, be sure to keep using it after you quit getting lucky to make it work. Once you absolutely know how to make it work, use it for another 100 hours after that. It is my opinion that this is about how long one should use a metal detector to be able to learn it to a decent degree.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread