What's new

Help identifying?

connorghabra

Jr. Member
Joined
May 3, 2026
Messages
37
Reaction score
141
Golden Thread
0
Found this item metal detecting an 1800s homestead. I think it's brass and it has a countryside-like image with two people and some houses and trees. The top has threads and the bottom would have been solid but can tell it corroded off. The little woman looks dutch to me. Also, when I found it, it initially had a domed cap screwed on the top with a small visible hole on the top of the dome. The top domed cap that would have screwed on the top was as fragile as a birds egg, so it crumbled away before I was able to bring it home. Any insight as to what this item was or was used for would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.05 AM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.05 AM.webp
    76.7 KB · Views: 93
  • Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.16 AM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.16 AM.webp
    75.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.41 AM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.41 AM.webp
    65.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.59 AM.webp
    Screenshot 2026-07-14 at 10.11.59 AM.webp
    44.2 KB · Views: 50
Upvote 0
Welcome to Tnet.

I see a windmill too, and it's definitely a Dutch scene.

I would think it's salt shaker. Compare to these Dutch salt/pepper shakers from the early 1900s, which have residual traces of silver plating. They're about 1.75 inches tall, including the domed cap.

Shakers.webp


A salt shaker might only have a single hole in the domed top, as for the disintegrated piece you found. Shakers like this might have a screw-on lid or a screw-on base for re-filling.
 
Agreed with saltshaker. I found a fairly plain silver one last year. I was really surprised to discover how small they were in those days.
 
Great find. Thanks for sharing Congratulations! And... Welcome to a great forum from Oregon!
 
Welcome to Tnet.

I see a windmill too, and it's definitely a Dutch scene.

I would think it's salt shaker. Compare to these Dutch salt/pepper shakers from the early 1900s, which have residual traces of silver plating. They're about 1.75 inches tall, including the domed cap.

View attachment 2259694

A salt shaker might only have a single hole in the domed top, as for the disintegrated piece you found. Shakers like this might have a screw-on lid or a screw-on base for re-filling.
Thank you so much! Gave me the clarity I've been seeking for about a month. Really appreciate it.
 
Agreed with saltshaker. I found a fairly plain silver one last year. I was really surprised to discover how small they were in those days.
Yeah, very interesting. Did yours have the top on it still?
 
Yeah, very interesting. Did yours have the top on it still?
No, it was found in a farm field without the top and partly smashed, It's only as big as the end of my thumb.
I had no idea what it was until it was identified by the serial number and a makers mark using google image search.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom