Illuminate any detectors LCD screen for hunting at night on the cheap!

dirtwizard

Feb 19, 2013
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari/Fisher F2/Minelab go-find 40/Garrett pro point
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Illuminate any detector's LCD screen for hunting at night on the cheap!

Hey guys and gals I thought I would share a little cheap and easy modification I came up with so that I could see what my detector's display is reading in the dark. I like hunting at night and use a streamlight brand head light or miner's lamp strapped to my head. I like to run the miners lamp as little as possible to preserve battery life and avoid unwanted attention. If the moon is bright I only use it while digging or navigating the shadows. It also attracts bugs if you leave it on at all times and they will be swarming around your head... I found myself constantly reaching up to turn the light on so I could see my detector's display. That is when I came up with this idea.

The basic idea is to find a small pushbutton LED light and affix it to the detector in a way that doesn't alter the machine permanently or take away from it's functionality in any way. You can find these little lights sold as keychain flashlights or what not. I found a pretty slick one imbedded in a wallet sized magnifying reader that was 2 or 3 dollars so I bought two of them to play around with. This is the product I took my lights from.
Amazon.com: Credit Card-Size Pocket Magnifier with LED Light 1.5x & 4x - Tough Polycarbonate Lens: Health & Personal Care

iOnSRpr.jpg

I chose this as a donor because the batteries, LED and switch are all contained in a small enclosure with no key chain loops protuding or anything I didn't need. I carefully broke the wallet magnifier apart to get the light out. Then I cut a small square of industrial strength velcro out. Using the velcro squares I attached the light to the face of my detector near the display in a place I can easily hit the button with my thumb.

IBk8FRa.jpg

a8CBbUI.jpg

Doesn't look too awful huh? Finding the button for the light in the dark is easy because it sits up higher from the detector's face than the rest. can't miss it.

I found it pretty difficult to get a good picture of the light on in a dark room that shows what I see when using the detector. To the naked eye there is no major glare/flare up like the photo. The display is illuminated nicely and all the info is easily legible with the push of a button. The pic gives you the general idea though.
XIK0EXv.jpg

I suppose I could get a detector with a backlight at some point but this works great for now and causes no permanent modification to the machine. Machines with more buttons on the face may not be suitable for this sort of mod but it is right at home on my trusty fisher. Happy night hunting!

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
I will just stick with my high and low beam headlamp.............8-)

christo000

Silver Member
Mar 17, 2013
mass North Attleboro
Detector(s) used
Xp Deus,m-6 pinpointer, technetics t2ltd (had, whites v3i,minelab xterra 705,atpro,prism 4,sunray probe minlabe profind,garret propointer, f75ltd and many more)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats a cool idea i think the atpro is now gonna have a light my v3i is already backlit

Dak

May 26, 2013
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter XL 500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is pretty slick. Thank you for sharing.

YukonCorn

Jun 13, 2013
New York
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-pointer, Plastic Scooper, Trowel, 17" Shovel, Lesche Digging Tool, Garrett Camo Treasure Pouch, Garrett Detector Bag, Headphone Bag, LED Flashlight, 8.5"x11" DD Coil Cover
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice I love that idea.

Sapper724

May 28, 2013
Northwestern WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO (Current)
Minelab Etrac (Current)
Garrett Pro Pointer
Sampson 31" Digger

Fisher F2 (RIP)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome idea. A quick fix for my at pro! Good job!

kickit

Mar 18, 2013
southern Illinois
Detector(s) used
Etrac, AT Pro, F2, Garrett Propointer
Great idea dirtwizard, I ordered one and put it on my AT Pro. Used it the other night and it worked fine, also like the Velcro because you can remove it easily when not needed.

Petrie502

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
Louisville Kentucky
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS (Combat Marine retired)
SEMPER FIDELIS
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great dea I bought this thing last year for my At pro they sell them at Lowes mainnightvision.png

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread