Celtic Gold De Ja Veau

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Celtic Gold Deja vu

Hi Tnet'ers.
Got out this week for session on back up pasture permission of mine. None of my arable land is available at this time of year so it was a return visit to this site. That I have spent many hours detecting in the past. The grass was long in places and quite difficult to get the coil close the ground and swing the detector. Not put off as I was just happy to be out doing what I enjoy. The signals were sparse as I have pulled out a lot of coins and relics previously from this site in the past and it has not been ploughed since I have been detecting it for three years.
I did manage to find a small Georgian period cuff button before I hit a faint signal that I could just about get to repeat from a few directions so I proceeded to dig a plug and turned it over, I waved the detector over the up turned soil clod and got a real crisp repeatable signal so I pulled out my pro pointer and began to kneel down but before my knees touched the ground I spotted the little glint of yellow metal peaking out of the earth and knew straight off what was lying there ready to be revealed. I have dug a Stater on this field in the past and the size shape of the edge that was showing could only be one thing another Stater :tongue3: I just knelt there and looked at the enclosed coin for a few seconds shocked that it had happened again and I had done this site to death. I carefully eased it out of the soil and was greeted by a beautiful Golden Pony.
I had obviously missed this coin in the past as it was almost perfectly on edge in the ground.
The coin is a full stater of the Atrebates tribe and dates to ca 45BC
thanks for looking and remember you can never be sure that a site has been completely emptied.
George .
PS the previous stater is pictured in my avatar.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 233
Last edited:
Upvote 8

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Great find !!
Some related history: "Although hard to believe at first sight, this stater is ultimately derived from the Greek Phillip II gold stater, showing the head of Apollo on the obverse and a chariot on the reverse. Now many times removed, the Celtic artist has focused on Apollo's hair and abstracted it on the obverse. The reverse has become the iconic Celtic disjointed horse."
Source:
http://www.vcoins.com/it/stores/artancient/218/product/ancient_celtic_gold_remic_stater_coin_of_the_atrebates_tribe__75_bc/556358/Default.aspx
Don......

OP
OP
Limey-digger

Limey-digger

Jan 17, 2015
Roamin with the Romans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for you kind comments guys. Here are some more pictures showing both of my staters together on the left is the latest find which is a rose gold example whilst they previous find is a nice yellow gold example. The reverse dies are different but the obverse abstract portrait side seems to be struck from the same die thanks again for taking time to look.
George.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 171
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 198

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
...then, that's TWO thumbs-up for you!
Super finds! :thumbsup: :icon_thumleft:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find :thumbsup: they will probably be more on this field, these coins were planted as offerings for a good harvest and placed in the ground each year. If you need a hand to help you recover more of them... I'm free. :laughing7:

SS

Last edited:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
LIMEY ARE THEY GOLD AND VERY SHINEY? YEP,I THOUGHT SO NICE CELTIC,VANZUTPHEN

Top Member Reactions