Nutting Stone? What is it?

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello - IllinoisDug here. Long time lurker, first time poster. Got some real interesting stones. Not sure if they were for nutting or fire starting or something else. The big one has a hole in the middle that is cup shaped. The smaller one has many indents around it and one hole straight through. Seems to be some good knowledge on this board so though I'd solicit opinions. Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4818AA.jpg
    IMG_4818AA.jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 3,082
  • IMG_4819BB.jpg
    IMG_4819BB.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 795
Upvote 0
OP
OP
IllinoisDug

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow looks like nutting stones have been quite the topic lately. I'm using that term generically, but I do like the discussion about the potential uses. Paint cups is probably more accurate for most "nutting" stones.

flintmel

Feb 3, 2012
Ct.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
have seen mortars, paint cups and indented anvil stones but haven't seen any nutting stones, nice finds!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Doug
That may be a natural fossil inclusion. The rock looks like it may have been tossed around in a plowed field. Not saying ancient man did not take advantage when something was already made. Was it found with other artifacts or just random? :icon_sunny:

mcb66

Mar 17, 2009
They used a piece of cane and sand to drill these holes. That's why it has the outer ring around the center. This looks like a two step operation. Why they did it this way? I don't know. This appears to be a nutting stone in process to being drilled through. I've seen a pile of nutting stones and a bunch of drilled stones but never one like this!

OP
OP
IllinoisDug

IllinoisDug

Mar 12, 2012
Illinois
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm going to say confidently that this was worked this way and not a fossil. The rim of the cup part is pretty substantial and deep compared to the total depth of the hole. Maybe they used the inner hole to grind whatever and the outer circle to catch the grindings?

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a typical cane and sand drilled artifact that was not finished. They either gave up,lost it or quit due to the quality of stone. Why spend so much effort drilling on just a rock?
100_1403.JPG

Here is a nut stone used on hickory nuts with multiple dimples on each side.
photo.JPG

Just wondering why they would sand drill out a nut stone ? Plus the rock needed the strength to withstand crushing blows. I do not know. Why my guess was a fossil inclusion. Imho.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread