127.1 KB · Views: 417
Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Amazing T!!!!Those some some great links to the past!!! Thanks for taking the time to do that for us.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
wish I could hear it. but this dial up will not let me . :-(

Have you tried to download the video? I know that on a dial up it may take some time to do so but you should be able to get the audio. If downloading doesn't help let me know and I'll post just the audio if you'd like.

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
wow kelly that is a real informative link you made...thank you
i think i might have found another that is unfinished but i'm not sure

IMG_3810.jpg

IMG_3811.jpg

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other

Gold Maven

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2012
Holmes County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool, thanks for posting.

makes me wonder how someone figured out how to make one in the first place.

I have a lot of artifacts that speak silently of the past, but one that actually makes the same noise that was heard back then, is very cool.:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Im sure it was great. My sound doesnt work but I am glad you did it for everyone else. I bet it sounded wonderful.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kelly you did it! That is a great informative post to hear that whistle come back to life. They have a haunting sound to them. My hound started howling when he heard it. I know when the sand hill cranes go over we can whistle at them and the whole V flock will do a slow circle and continue on. I wonder if they were also used as a call ? This is great and I appreciate you doing this and sharing. Hope everyone gets to see and hear it. Grim Reaper played his that he found also. It is a sound from the past for sure.
TnMtns

Last edited:

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh man that is about the coolest video I've seen anybody do. Thanks. I have heard those used by dancers at powwows. They were not like a primary musical instrument that I know of. Sun Dance participants would blow eagle bone whistles and when they went into a fight guys would have them, as you wanted to make as much noise as you could to strike fear into the enemies hearts. I wondered about those hash marks cut into that whistle. Being from Oklahoma, I immediately knew it was Ogam writing. Cool presentation and thanks for it.

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Kelly you did it! That is a great informative post to hear that whistle come back to life. They have a haunting sound to them. My hound started howling when he heard it. I know when the sand hill cranes go over we can whistle at them and the whole V flock will do a slow circle and continue on. I wonder if they were also used as a call ? This is great and I appreciate you doing this and sharing. Hope everyone gets to see and hear it. Grim Reaper played his that he found also. It is a sound from the past for sure.
TnMtns

Thank you. It's cool to hear that it made your hound howl, there is something eerie about their sound. I think it's great just to have an opportunity to experience them and bring them back to life.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. It's cool to hear that it made your hound howl, there is something eerie about their sound. I think it's great just to have an opportunity to experience them and bring them back to life.

I agree. It is the kinda post you want to share with everyone. With your permission may I share that link?

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Oh man that is about the coolest video I've seen anybody do. Thanks. I have heard those used by dancers at powwows. They were not like a primary musical instrument that I know of. Sun Dance participants would blow eagle bone whistles and when they went into a fight guys would have them, as you wanted to make as much noise as you could to strike fear into the enemies hearts. I wondered about those hash marks cut into that whistle. Being from Oklahoma, I immediately knew it was Ogam writing. Cool presentation and thanks for it.

Thank you for the kind words and information. You bring up an interesting observation seeing "Ogam (Ogham) Writing" in those hash marks. I'm inclined to go along with Tears of the Moon in thinking they were rasp cuts for producing a rhythmic sound when rubbed with another bone. I do see what you are seeing though, but there doesn't seem to be a center line or definitive spacing. I will have to take a closer look at the other artifacts I have that have similar markings now to see if Ogam is a possibility. Cool observation - thanks

Kelly

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
Kelly, I honestly think your video is the most captivating thing I have seen on T-net. Possibly the best artifact clip that I have seen at all. I know you guys are musically inclined and have a special ear. I am a musician as well and did hear the warble. Reminded me of the bending of a guitar string, but not quite as outstanding. But, these are primitive whistles, not a Gibson Les Paul. They may not have musical instruments. Possibly a means of communicating at a distance, with various pitches, used to code messages. So many mysterious possibilities. To hear these, really got my wheels to turning. You did a nice job friend. Perhaps, you should have taken an editors cut on the drop. Lol! Well done!!

Rusty

larson1951

Silver Member
Apr 8, 2009
North Dakota
Detector(s) used
tesoro
Primary Interest:
Other
hey hey kelly i am for trying to get that unfinished one to play....but without doing any work to it (if possible)
in my opinion you have put together the best presentation ever i am lucky to be your friend
and also very happy and appreciative for you taking such a great interest and love for what we do here i north dakota

OP
OP
T Witko

T Witko

Jul 22, 2010
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Other
Kelly, I honestly think your video is the most captivating thing I have seen on T-net. Possibly the best artifact clip that I have seen at all. I know you guys are musically inclined and have a special ear. I am a musician as well and did hear the warble. Reminded me of the bending of a guitar string, but not quite as outstanding. But, these are primitive whistles, not a Gibson Les Paul. They may not have musical instruments. Possibly a means of communicating at a distance, with various pitches, used to code messages. So many mysterious possibilities. To hear these, really got my wheels to turning. You did a nice job friend. Perhaps, you should have taken an editors cut on the drop. Lol! Well done!!

Rusty

Thank you the nice compliment. I'm happy to be able to share the things we find here with our Tnet friends. I agree that there were likely a variety of uses for these. I will tell you that in the process of getting the whistles to work that I learned alot. It was well worth the effort.

Thanks
Kelly

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread