An Effigy Revisted

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
image.jpg I've shown this many times, thinking it was a turtle effigy or maybe a fertility fetish. I display it just as the auction did. But the auction described it as a frog, which I never understood. Until last night, when a friend saw it for the first time and said: "hey, this IS a frog!!". What were the eyes of the turtle is the nostrils of the frog, and the unexplained round lumps at the base of the turtle's head are in fact the raised eyes of a frog!! And what was a recess behind the turtle's head is actually the underside of the frog's chin. And his front legs are in the position where they are poised to hop!! 5 years it took to see the frog, though a case might be made that it could be viewed from two different perspectives, making it a dual effigy. First, here is how I used to look at it. Then I will post photos of the "correct"(?) perspective.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
By God, I do believe it makes a better frog then turtle. Third photo down: raised eyes, nose with nostrils on either side of slight nose ridge, front legs poised to hop!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    424.5 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 96
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153.6 KB · Views: 110
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 102
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    196.1 KB · Views: 107
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

mamabear

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2008
SE Missouri
Detector(s) used
garage sale oldie
Primary Interest:
Other
It's amazing what a new pair of eyes will do. Although I don't see the frog I see a woman. My vote is fertility totem

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It's amazing what a new pair of eyes will do. Although I don't see the frog I see a woman. My vote is fertility totem
could be a dual effigy, but I think I know why the auctioneer said frog, and a I think it's a good case at least. Everything works looking at it that way. It was always tough to know what those round raised lumps were at the bottom of the turtle's head. But they work well as the raised eyes on a frog's head, his front legs are right, etc.

Last edited:

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Cool piece, I can see where you get it, only I think it looks more like a Toads form.

It's also a good lesson in humans and their imaginations or perceptions.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lol...no hippos in prehistoric RI. Anyway, it's stylized to some degree and would not be 100% representational. Might be more then one way to look at it, which I did for 5 years till my friend discovered last night why the auction catalog described it as a frog originally. Took me 5 years just to flip it upside down and look at it that way. I think it's a good call on his part. The bumps at the bottom of the "turtle's" head make more sense as raised frog eyes and the front legs are in a "poised to hop" position. But, Steve Valentine was the first to notice it looked like a fertility fetish viewed "wrong-side up" and it does. Turtle and fertility charm were always the top 2 guesses until last night when the frog finally made his first appearance after 5 years. Lol....

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool piece, I can see where you get it, only I think it looks more like a Toads form. It's also a good lesson in humans and their imaginations or perceptions.
Good point, quito, maybe more toad form... Ribbit! Ribbit!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    331.5 KB · Views: 103
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

crj1968

Feb 16, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow- where in the world did you get that?! I totally see frog as well, and yep those bumps are his front legs ready to go.

Great piece! WANT! ;)

NC field hunter

Silver Member
Jul 29, 2012
That's a sweet piece. I think it's a multi animal effigy. Does the frog hold any noted spiritual significance? We often see bird, turtle, and lizard effigies. I'm not sure if I've ever ran across any writing about frog effigies.

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's really a nice piece...first time I've seen it and can see the frog....but my first thought on the second set of pictures....a Ram...lol

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a frog with his front legs covering his ears. Hear no evil maybe :). Heck that is interesting.

Jon Phillips

Mar 10, 2009
Riverview Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F-75, MXT, 6000di sl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know what I thought it was the first time I saw it...and I can see how you can see a frog from that perspective, even though the head seems too rounded for a frog...

Since we are discussing what it is in this thread...I will add my thoughts.

I think it is an engourged tick.

It looks like one from the top, and bottom (even with mandibles), but especially from the side view. I would imagine they were an even bigger problem back then, than they are now!

Just my opinion...but there are no features to have to rationalize if it were a tick efigy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That's a sweet piece. I think it's a multi animal effigy. Does the frog hold any noted spiritual significance? We often see bird, turtle, and lizard effigies. I'm not sure if I've ever ran across any writing about frog effigies.

i have seen a frog effigy platform pipe, but that's about it.

It's really a nice piece...first time I've seen it and can see the frog....but my first thought on the second set of pictures....a Ram...lol

Yeah, it does, Kat. Someone else guessed that. But, being a squat little critter, and eyes on top of the head, I'm still thinking frog/toad. It would have to be Contact Era to be a ram if it were.

OP
OP
Charl

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wow- where in the world did you get that?! I totally see frog as well, and yep those bumps are his front legs ready to go. Great piece! WANT! ;)

It was found on Narragansett Bay in 1936. Cost me a pretty penny too, but, yep, I felt just like you: I want that! Lol...

curious kat

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2013
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
....eyes.....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...Charl...have you thought about either "Frog Woman" or the Native American Creation legend by "woman"....it does seem to look like a "woman" from one angle and either a "frog" or "turtle" from another. So maybe it is the "combo" on purpose? That would be extra special! Awesome piece! :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread