Our very 1st finds ever!

Jd.Ole13

Apr 8, 2016
Northern, CA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey all, we are super stoked to of had a successful 1st hunt. It was a bit chilly today, went out for 6 hours.

I found the tool in the 1st 4 pictures. What did they use this for? skinning? puncturing holes in hides?

GF found the nice point in the 5th and 6th picture while leaving and headin to the truck. And gave thanks to the Ancients.

The last couple pictures are just the heavily worked pieces. few tips, and the center part of a clovis, or agate basin perhaps? any ideas on the bigger piece next to the point in both of the last 2 pics?

def taking cameras with us next time.

Attachments

• DSCN0067.JPG
    DSCN0067.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 123
  • DSCN0069.JPG
    DSCN0069.JPG
    246.9 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN0065.JPG
    DSCN0065.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 114
  • DSCN0066.JPG
    DSCN0066.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 121
  • DSCN0071.JPG
    DSCN0071.JPG
    218.1 KB · Views: 128
  • DSCN0073.JPG
    DSCN0073.JPG
    186.7 KB · Views: 118
  • DSCN0074.JPG
    DSCN0074.JPG
    232.5 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCN0075.JPG
    DSCN0075.JPG
    449.4 KB · Views: 122
Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool Finds! :icon_thumright: Your first item looks like a well worked graver.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome to the forum! And congratulations on such a great hunt.

It would be easier to help ID things if we knew where they are from.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you did excellent for your first finds

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man thats great hunt returns and thanks for sharing. Looks like some obsidian finds? Must be in the upper USA

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats,great bunch of worked pieces. Many first finds seem to be mere rocks or nature worked chert. You have done very well.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Nice finds. It looks like you are hunting out in the Great Basin (Nevada, Oregon, maybe Idaho?) based on the material.

That center section will be hard to type as paleo unless it came from a site that produces other paleo points. About all I can say based on the picture is that it's part of a broken biface.

OP
OP
J

Jd.Ole13

Apr 8, 2016
Northern, CA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds. It looks like you are hunting out in the Great Basin (Nevada, Oregon, maybe Idaho?) based on the material.

That center section will be hard to type as paleo unless it came from a site that produces other paleo points. About all I can say based on the picture is that it's part of a broken biface.

Thank you everybody. Yup, joshua hit it, north east california. We will be going back out next week. thanks again everybody for helping i.d. and the welcome.

Last edited:
OP
OP
J

Jd.Ole13

Apr 8, 2016
Northern, CA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats,great bunch of worked pieces. Many first finds seem to be mere rocks or nature worked chert. You have done very well.
thank you! We are blessed to have a great teacher taking us to a couple spots and learning some tried and true'd techniques. And lucky....

OP
OP
J

Jd.Ole13

Apr 8, 2016
Northern, CA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Solutrean?

it seems my finds closely resemble solutrean style more than other periods. Every Solutrean native american artifact charts and movies i watched on youtube had several artifacts that resemble the large size and large rounded tips and large knapping technique they did at the time. And then only found one picture in achaic period that resembles one of the pieces pictured.

What kind of rock is the 3rd and 4th picture?
see how it resembles the 1st picture?

The 2nd picture goes with 5th and 6th picture. resembles the large rounded/ none sharp/ heavily worked tip. with possibly a flute on the end of one side? the right side on both pics is the tip of whatever this is? doesn't it resemble the square knife?

7 and 8 are some other pieces i found looking through the 'pile' we brought home.
very large, heavily worked on one side, large point? it is broken at the base and the start of the blade.

and then the non obsidian perfectly worked on each side/ tip to a point? its a tip. but to a very very large point? spear?

and then the last couple pictures. again, a large rounded tip to a point? and the middle part to the blade?

All found in the same area, Very large pieces if they were whole. is that normal? Why so largely rounded tips?

thanks guys

Attachments

• cinmar-knife.jpg
    cinmar-knife.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 78
  • solutrean3.jpg
    solutrean3.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0065.JPG
    DSCN0065.JPG
    222.8 KB · Views: 75
  • DSCN0066.JPG
    DSCN0066.JPG
    251.2 KB · Views: 68
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 74
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 72
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 77
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 74
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 68
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 65
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 72
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 66
Last edited:

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice finds! This activity can become an obsession.

OP
OP
J

Jd.Ole13

Apr 8, 2016
Northern, CA
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice finds! This activity can become an obsession.

geesh, boy i tell you what.....obsession it is quickly becoming for me! driving me crazy trying to figure out why they were making such large rounded tip pieces. Making me think they were consistently making pretty big spears or points? if they are even called 'points', after it gets to a certain size? ha. plus i'm just jumping in head first and soaking in as much info as possible. I'm trying to watch myself from asking too novice of questions to keep from pestering ya'll, please bare with during my climb up this steep learning curve.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
The possibly solutrean point in your picture is quite large, your point is probably something in the Cascade type, maybe a Haskett but the flaking doesn't look right.

This piece is interesting. It looks like most the early stage broken Clovis points I've seen from Nevada & California. If you remember where you found that one, check that spot regularly.

Clovisbase.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread