What's new

Game Ball, Hammer or What ???

Tdog

Silver Member
Joined
May 30, 2019
Messages
2,864
Reaction score
5,272
Golden Thread
0
Location
East Central Alabama
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found this on the shores of Lake Martin, Parker Creek area of Coosa Co. Alabama. Appears to be made of granite. I first thought it was a broken game ball but I have never been certain. Any thoughts are appreciated and thanks for lookin'.
 

Attachments

  • DSCN1485.webp
    DSCN1485.webp
    297 KB · Views: 112
  • DSCN1486.webp
    DSCN1486.webp
    311.1 KB · Views: 90
  • DSCN1487.webp
    DSCN1487.webp
    338.8 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCN1488.webp
    DSCN1488.webp
    342.8 KB · Views: 87
Upvote 0
I believe it is a Stone cannon ball. I have dug one before when I was digging in New York back in my younger days. My dad told me they were used by the French.
 
I believe it is a Stone cannon ball. I have dug one before when I was digging in New York back in my younger days. My dad told me they were used by the French.

Seriously? I have never heard of that. Well, to support that, I found two French gunflints and a friend found a French Conical trade point at this same site. I guess the missing piece could have sheared off when it was shot or when it hit! Thanks Jon.
 
Last edited:
This is what I found on stone cannon ballsScreenshot_20190723-164317.webp they most for surely were used in Europe.
 
Very cool whatever it turns out to be.

To bad it had to be broken!
 
I believe it is a Stone cannon ball. I have dug one before when I was digging in New York back in my younger days. My dad told me they were used by the French.

This is what I found on stone cannon ballsView attachment 1735901 they most for surely were used in Europe.

Very cool whatever it turns out to be.

To bad it had to be broken!

I've since boned-up on it too and I had never considered that. I think it's a granite, French cannon ball now! Thanks guys.
 
Thats a cool relic for sure
 
@ Relicgrubber...

Jon, do you still have your stone cannon ball or pictures of it? If so, please post pics here. Thanks for your help identifying this piece.

Edit: I just measured it and it's 2 3/4" in diameter.
 
Last edited:
How exactly does one go about making a stone cannon ball I wonder?
 
They had foot powered grinding wheels back then, that's how it would have been made. The only ones I've seen on this side of the pond were Spanish and made of that shell mixture (cochina, is that the word?) from old sites in Florida. Nice find for sure.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back
Top Bottom