Silver plate scraping ?

Powerwasher

Aug 19, 2012
KS
Primary Interest:
Other
My limited experience has pretty lead me to believe that silver plating is usually over tin or some sort of similar metals.

Anyone else know different?

goldsilverpro

May 31, 2007
Silver plate is usually on a copper alloy, such as brass. On plated silverware, the base metal is often a white copper alloy, such as nickel silver (which, regardless of its name, actually contains no silver). Silver is usually plated from 50 to 100 millionths of an inch thick, which has a dollar value of about 1 to 2 cents per square inch of plated area. There are many exceptions to this (very high quality silverware, e.g.) but most would fall in that range. The problem is that most of the chemicals that dissolve silver (nitric acid, cyanide, etc.) also dissolve copper. Therefore, there is no profitable way that I know of to recover the silver. For this reason, I doubt if there are any refiners that will process it. To some scrap dealers, it is considered to be contaminated copper scrap. In essence, no one wants it.

EDIT: After looking at this more closely, I must admit that I have changed my views on this. You may want to check out this link, where we recently discussed it more completely.
http://www.goldrefiningforum.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=50&t=16166&start=0

Last edited:

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would quess you could sell it as brass or copper, bronze? .If thats the underlying metal or alloy

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My recycler just throws it in with the brass. $1.60 lb +/-

but double check, I always take a file to one area on the bottom of platters and pitchers. many times the base metal is copper $3.00 lb +/-

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread