Clip_10.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 924
  • Clip_9.jpg
    Clip_9.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 538

blurr

Jun 7, 2006
Minnesota
It is possible, but you need to provide the size and weight of the ball. It does look similar to some of the fuzes that I found on civil war websites. It could also be something else. If you provide the basic dimensions of the ball I'm sure that someone will be able to help you out pronto.

John

OP
OP
hmmm

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
they are about 4.5 inches in diameter, ya 40 years ago i probobly tossed them, i went to the school where they are.

Attachments

• cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 492
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 518
  • cb3.jpg
    cb3.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 452
  • cb1.jpg
    cb1.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 463

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
This has already been INDENTIFIED as a shot put in the "what is it" section...

http://www.pochefamily.org/books/SolidShotEssentialsMod.html

A Non-Authentic Example: The figure below shows a classic non-authentic ball actually put up for sale at a recent Civil War Relic Show. It appears to be about the correct size for a 12 Pdr. caliber cannonball, but it is not of Civil War vintage nor even a military cannonball. The metal of the ball is somewhat shiny; this points to steel rather than cast iron. Excavated cast iron will always have rust and visible pitting while excavated steel will have much less rust and little or no pitting.

NAuthentic%20%2850%29.jpg

The flat countersunk screw also points to non-authenticity. This screw could cover a filler hole for a Shot Put, or it could be covering a point of attachment of the ball to a larger structure like a fence or gatepost. None of these characteristics point to an authentic piece.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first thing is that I don't see anything that would indicate these may have been "defused". If they have not, you might want to have some pros take a look at them ASAP. As late as the 90's some Civil War era shot took out a fireplace and the back wall of a house. Yep, you guessed it. some idiot had used them as fireplace decor.

Deepsix

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
deepsix47 said:
The first thing is that I don't see anything that would indicate these may have been "defused". If they have not, you might want to have some pros take a look at them ASAP. As late as the 90's some Civil War era shot took out a fireplace and the back wall of a house. Yep, you guessed it. some idiot had used them as fireplace decor.

Deepsix

It's impossible to defuse a shot-put.

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Missed that. Darn sure looked like a fused ball. What can I say. Two weeks in the hospital and now home with some meds that are....lets just say they are something....lol.

Deepsix

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
deepsix47 said:
Missed that. Darn sure looked like a fused ball. What can I say. Two weeks in the hospital and now home with some meds that are....lets just say they are something....lol.

Deepsix

It's all good deepsix... he posted here after NOT liking the replies he got in the other forum... he likes to write his own history and could care less about what the truth might be.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,251347.0.html

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, at least we won't be reading about another house being taken out....lol. I hope he finally gets it together.

Deepsix

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread