Spanish Shipwreck in the Bahamas, Need Info!!

barnacle

Aug 3, 2008
In the 1960's a bunch of Hollywood actor types went looking for treasure near Riding Rock-Orange Cay. Rumor had it they spent 1 million US dollars ( in 1960), truth was they spent most of the time drinking. The wreck they were looking for was supposed to have sunk late 1500's after hitting two rocks and pitching 2 spaniards overboard. Wreckers from Havana picked them off soon after hurricane but wreck was thought to have gone far to the southeast on the Bahama Bank. Does anyone have any info on this story?

Barnacle

wwwtimmcp

Bronze Member
Sep 22, 2007
wakeman, ohio
Detector(s) used
J.W.FISHERS pulse 8x
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
robert marx writes, an english historian writing in 1775 wrote that a very large and rich spanish galleon sank on a sandbar in 1765, 7 miles southwest of beak cay. the southernmost cay in the riding rock chain. supposedly the wreck sanded over before all her treasure was recovered with 17' of water over her.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I remember reading about a wreck found near Orange Cay called the Santiago el Grande. It turned out to be a scam to lure investors.

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In 1987 I spend a research for Peter Throckmorton in search of the "Santiago el Grande" lost in Bahamas, but there is neither rake of this shipwreck. At the end Peter told me that it was an entire invention of a "well-known" treasure hunter (ghost sahipwreck).
I have the impression that we are speaking of the history of 1563.

ping

Apr 6, 2005
Vancouver BC
I can tell you everything you want to know about that "Santiago El Grande" scam.

First, there is no "Santiago El Grande"

There was a scam (clever one) by a guy from Ontario, or something like that. It worked like this.

1. He (typically) sold shares of this treasure hunting company and raised an amazing amount of money
2. He bought a Lamborghini, and lots of toys
3. He hired a professional (and totally on-the-level) marine technology company to survey in that area. However, he took them to the known site of an old British shipwreck that was salvaged years ago. The marine tech company didn't know that. So . . they detected 'a shipwreck', but were not allowed to dive on it to confirm it's genesis.
4. He used the data from the marine tech company to say "LOOK, we FOUND IT!" and sold even more shares.
5. He did everything possible to screw up the treasure hunting company and it's board of directors, got them all fighting, and this character took the money
6. Due to the complexity of the court case, I'm not sure the guy got put behind bars, however he should have been.

Total Scam, tons of people got hosed.
P.

OP
OP
B

barnacle

Aug 3, 2008
was the story about the two crewmen who were picked off the rock part of the el grande legend or could that be another wreck ? barnacle

Vox veritas

Bronze Member
Aug 2, 2008
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The two men are a true history, what is false is the "Santiago el Grande." The history of the two men is linked to the shipwreck of 1563 that happened in the area of Ragged Island.

Galleon Hunter

Jul 30, 2007
Florida
Detector(s) used
Aque Pulse
You want to consider any work in the Bahamas, I would get intouch with Mikie Booth. He held the permit on the Maravillas for a couple of years after Herbo Humphries was done. He knows the people there and has his foot in the door. He knows a lot of the ins and outs and has plenty of research. You won't meet a more descent guy.

[email protected]

Galleon Hunter

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A cameraman friend of mine worked on the movie set for "fools gold" part of the movie was filmed in a bay at Eleuthera.Since it was a movie about treasure hunting.I asked him how hard would it be to get a permit over there and if he had any connections with the gov.He said the best way to get a permit to look for treasure was to tell the gov that you want to make a movie about treasure hunting.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread