Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
1800s Homesite Yields Iron Stirrup & Controversial Brass Oval Relic

With Dman still on I.R. and Tenn. Josh working, I made a solo trip for a little over 2 hours to a local 1800s homesite. The landowner is a friend and I would never have known the homesite existed there unless they had told me as no real trace remains. Dman and I had hunted the site once before but not with our F75s or his SE. Nobody seems to know how old the home was but the guesses go from the mid 1800s to late 1880s. The current landowner's Father had the home demolished many years ago.
I drove into the field and parked close to where Dman and I started picking up iron signals on the last trip 3 or 4 years ago. When I started digging horseshoe pieces and chain. I knew I was in the barn area. My best find was the iron stirrup that is of CW period civilian style.
As of late, I have been intrigued by the brass oval pieces with 2 holes in the second pic dug by several Tnet members and the thread started by Buckleboy. I can't believe I dug one today. Someone on Tnet found one recently-maybe Heavymetalnut. I believe the best guess was a "harness ornament". Mine shows traces of gold gilt I believe. I would be very interested in hearing more about it. Jump in here Steve of PA, BB, Kuger, and Creskol.
Happy Holidays and thanks for reading our Tennessee Trio posts this year, Quindy.

Attachments

• A.H. 12-9-11.jpg
    A.H. 12-9-11.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 1,408
  • Harness Ornament A.H. 12-9-11.jpg
    Harness Ornament A.H. 12-9-11.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 1,173
Upvote 5

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Re: 1800s Homesite Yields Iron Stirrup & Controversial Brass Oval Relic

nice! yeah i have dug several and that's what i was told.some sort of saddle belt guide.i have a complete one and the other piece is shaped like this > ] that sits on top and goes through the 2 holes.makes sense that a leather belt would go through it

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

;D Hey Quindy , nice hunt , and the harness boss is the same as one of the three that are in Mill Hunt X I had to refresh your memory , oh boy ::) you all know what that means :o :D

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

CMDiamonddawg said:
;D Hey Quindy , nice hunt , and the harness boss is the same as one of the three that are in Mill Hunt X I had to refresh your memory , oh boy ::) you all know what that means :o :D
lol :laughing7:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

hELLO BUD,WELL YOU KNOW ABOUT AS MUCH AS i DO ABOUT EM,AS i HAVE WONDERED FOR YEARS WHAT THEY WERE AND THEN THE DISCUSSION AROSE ON HERE.(cAPS LOCK!!!) :BangHead:

Cool stirrup,I have an exact match to her!!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice finds Quindy. I have found those oval pieces as well. Congrats on some great finds.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Quindy,

I have found quite a few of those pieces over the years and they always seem to turn up on earlier sites - late 18th early 19th century. They usually have some type of design on them. Speculation is that they were used with these decorative brackets we find on sites from the same period. The brackets seem to line up with the holes. I have heard they were some type of strap guide, but I'm still waiting to see a saddle (or anything else) using these things :dontknow:

Here are a couple with the brackets for comparison.

Attachments

• saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,718
  • saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    saddleguide.jpg.JPG
    98.4 KB · Views: 1,401
OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Dawg, I thought you and HMN were twins-LOL. Hey, give an old 62 year old a break-both of you you are recovering great coins and relics so quick these days that I can't keep up with your posts-LOL. Thanks for your expertise guys.
Cody (Kuger) and Steve (PA), I guess that is a good explanation for the moment but I've seen a lot of saddles and I've never seen one on them either.
Thanks Randy. It's going to be a cold one here in Tennessee this weekend. I hope you and Guy get out to hunt. You guys are finishing 2011 off with a bang!!

Don't forget to put your highlights on the "2011" forum guys and gals. HH, Quindy.

tennessee digger

Bronze Member
Sep 14, 2011
Nashville
Detector(s) used
Tesoro and Troy Shadow Fisher Gold Bug Pro Minelab Equinox 600.

Quindy. I sure don't claim to be an expert but I've always been told that those were attached to saddles. However, in my opinion only, I think that they were on horse bridles. Could be wrong and would like to know myself because I have dug several over the years. Tennessee digger

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE

Those are some great finds. I like the stirrup. I am looking forward to Monday and getting out some. I don't know why you tell everyone you are 62 when your social security number in 000-00-0001.

rebelrouser

Dec 4, 2008

great stirrup Quindy.i have found those oval things before but have not a clue as what they are....hope someone knows....for an old man like Dman says you are you dig some cool relics.

ModernMiner

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2007
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore , Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Well done Sir Q of Tenn. :hello2:
Congrats on the stirrup. You can mount it on the side of your truck so Dman can step up easier. :tongue3: :laughing9:

Mystery items solved over the year:
*Hem weight - SOLVED
*Parasol slides - SOLVED
*Ornate oval piece w/two holes - The jury is still out :dontknow:
I have some of those too.

Good luck on Monday. :thumbsup:
-Dug-

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Congrats on the stirrup. You can mount it on the side of your truck so Dman can step up easier. :tongue3: :laughing9:

*Hem weight - SOLVED
*Parasol slides - SOLVED

-Dug-

I dont recall for certain but it seems to me Buckleboys thread got to the bottom of the "oval",pieces??

Quindy,I think your stirrup goes to a McClellan saddle

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

tennessee digger said:
Quindy. I sure don't claim to be an expert but I've always been told that those were attached to saddles. However, in my opinion only, I think that they were on horse bridles. Could be wrong and would like to know myself because I have dug several over the years. Tennessee digger
Donnie, I think Dman dug one in a Colonial site a ciouple of years ago as well. I just can't see them being that substantial based on Steve's pic. Maybe that's why they were lost? Let's go hunting again soon & tell Julia "Hi". HH, Quindy.
Dman said:
Those are some great finds. I like the stirrup. I am looking forward to Monday and getting out some. I don't know why you tell everyone you are 62 when your social security number in 000-00-0001.
If I'm 0001, you're 0002-LOL. The Monday excursion could lead to some major fun later and a new site. HH, Quindy.
rebelrouser said:
great stirrup Quindy.i have found those oval things before but have not a clue as what they are....hope someone knows....for an old man like Dman says you are you dig some cool relics.
This cold weather makes me feel old Don-LOL. HH, Quindy.
RTDE3 said:
Nice digs Q! :thumbsup:
I'm not sure what those oval things are.
There sure are a lot of them that were lost Rob. Maybe someone has some detailed explanation as to saddle, bridle. reign guide, on harness britching, or whatever. HH, Quindy.
ModernMiner said:

*Hem weight - SOLVED
*Parasol slides - SOLVED

-Dug-
MM, the reins must not have been too wide or thick if they are guides and it looks like the one I found has gold gilt. Based on their size, may be saddle related and used as a saddle guard plate like those from the McClellan saddles?? HH, Q.
kuger said:
ModernMiner said:

*Hem weight - SOLVED
*Parasol slides - SOLVED

-Dug-

I dont recall for certain but it seems to me Buckleboys thread got to the bottom of the "oval",pieces??

Quindy,I think your stirrup goes to a McClellan saddle
Could be Cody. We occasionally see U.S. CW period items from horse tack sold in antique sales locally. I even bought a 1909 McClellan artillery saddle at an estate sale near Dman's home a few years ago. Just like WW2 surplus, there was CW surplus. I have also seen U.S. bit bosses in junk boxes at sales in the country. I sent BB an email and hope he chimes in on this as I read that long post and don't recall a solid conclusion. Steve's theory makes the most sense. HH my friend, Quindy.

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey Q, Nice digs there buddy; I particularly like the stirrup. :thumbsup: As far as the brass oval is concerned, I think it was a decorative piece used on furniture, saddles, drawer faces, etc. Those used on drawer fronts were often engraved to denote the contents of the drawer; ie. apothecary cabinet. So basically they were generic plates. It seems they turn up on TNet at least every month. Here is Buckles post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,175963.0.html

;D Breezie

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:

*Hem weight - SOLVED
*Parasol slides - SOLVED

-Dug-

Another the jury is still out on as far as I'm concerned is the clipped corner buckles with six attachment hooks. Some say crossbelt plate some say trunk plate. I don't want to get started on that subject here on Quindy's thread, but I sure wish someone would find one attached to a trunk or a belt or something :BangHead:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other

I have a bunch of those oval relics.

And i have found the strap bars Steve of PA is talking about...

I must say Steve it looks about right im gonna have to see if i can make some fit :icon_scratch:

Nice finds man :icon_thumleft:

By the way you really only find them on colonial sites around here that site may be older than you think :wink:

Blaze

OP
OP
VOL1266-X

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Breezie said:
Hey Q, Nice digs there buddy; I particularly like the stirrup. :thumbsup: As far as the brass oval is concerned, I think it was a decorative piece used on furniture, saddles, drawer faces, etc. Those used on drawer fronts were often engraved to denote the contents of the drawer; ie. apothecary cabinet. So basically they were generic plates. It seems they turn up on TNet at least every month. Here is Buckles post:
http://forum.treasurenet.com/index.php/topic,175963.0.html

;D Breezie
Thanks Breezie. The "Label" plate makes good sense and you are the "Mystery Relic Queen" for sure. Why aren't more of the oval pates labeled? HH, Q.
Steve in PA said:
ModernMiner said:

*Hem weight - SOLVED
*Parasol slides - SOLVED

-Dug-

Another the jury is still out on as far as I'm concerned is the clipped corner buckles with six attachment hooks. Some say crossbelt plate some say trunk plate. I don't want to get started on that subject here on Quindy's thread, but I sure wish someone would find one attached to a trunk or a belt or something :BangHead:
Good question Steve. Beats me too. I sent a pic to a relic dealer friend of one of those plates that someone dug and posted here on Tnet. He said it was a trunk plate. HH, Quindy.
johnnyblaze said:
I have a bunch of those oval relics.

And i have found the strap bars Steve of PA is talking about...

I must say Steve it looks about right im gonna have to see if i can make some fit :icon_scratch:

Nice finds man :icon_thumleft:

By the way you really only find them on colonial sites around here that site may be older than you think :wink:

Blaze
I went back there this morning J.B. and found some more buckles and harness parts. I know a lady who remembers the old home. She thinks it may have been clapboard over logs. I have not found a coin or button yet but I will and that may help us date the place. Thanks and HH, Quindy.

FindingHistory1

Greenie
May 30, 2018
PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just now found this thread and the reference to the oval relic; I was looking for the same after I found mine back in July 2019:
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/r...te-1700-s-early-1800-s-site-oval-2-holes.html

According to this UNC archaeology link, they classified it as an "oval brass harness boss" consistent with the late 1700s time period. See pages 318 (Fig. 6.41) and 317 of the following link re: UNC archaeology at late 1700's Ayers Town Native American site:
http://www.rla.unc.edu/Publications/...ep37/Chap6.pdf

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest: