Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Weird ornate hook/clip something? & nice IH

wow great finds, looks like maybe part of a buckle?

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice buckle, Civil war era Go find the other side. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee

Attachments

• 41vl4VpkXeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    41vl4VpkXeL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
    12.6 KB · Views: 3,031

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Broken knee said:
Nice buckle, Civil war era Go find the other side. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee
http://www.ukdfd.co.uk/ukdfddata/showrecords.php?product=8712&cat=all
Its a nice 'S' shaped belt hook, commonly called Snake Buckles, although many are bird like heads. In the UK they span several hundred years, although this one is 19th C, how do you narrow it down to the CW, as they were Pre-CW as well?

I have never found one with the loop or any seperate loops, so its a great find & as stated look carefully for the missing part :thumbsup:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

Nice Civil War Snake buckle, I dug one just like it, but yours is in fantastic condition! Blows the coins away as to value. Tried to post a pic of mine but the pic is to large. HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
Nice Civil War Snake buckle, I dug one just like it, but yours is in fantastic condition! Blows the coins away as to value. HH

Can anyone enlighten me as to why these are 'only' CW period? Bearing in mind I have found a few over here.

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
Nice Civil War Snake buckle, I dug one just like it, but yours is in fantastic condition! Blows the coins away as to value. HH

Can anyone enlighten me as to why these are 'only' CW period? Bearing in mind I have found a few over here.
I,m no expert but there are many different types of these and many are called Civil War that are not, but the design on this one matches the ones that have been found in confederate camps exactly. That is what I go by, the design, and size, but you are right about them used before and after the Civil War. HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:

I,m no expert but there are many different types of these and many are called Civil War that are not, but the design on this one matches the ones that have been found in confederate camps exactly. That is what I go by, the design, and size, but you are right about them used before and after the Civil War. HH
I'm no expert either, I just hoped these were more studied over there than here. You are right there are many different designs, & some are still worn on Naval uniforms, so they are used until the present & back into the 16th C when they first appeared.
All I can guess, having seen many matches to the one found here in the UK, that these must have been manufactured here & shipped to the US. If someone has date information, please come forward? I would have placed it in the pre-CW period, but doesn't mean they were not using old fittings :dontknow:

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:

I'm no expert either, I just hoped these were more studied over there than here. You are right there are many different designs, & some are still worn on Naval uniforms, so they are used until the present & back into the 16th C when they first appeared.
All I can guess, having seen many matches to the one found here in the UK, that these must have been manufactured here & shipped to the US. If someone has date information, please come forward? I would have placed it in the pre-CW period, but doesn't mean they were not using old fittings :dontknow:
There is a book on these but I don't know the title, I was always told they where British imports for the confederate army and that they came over with the Enfield rifles.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:

There is a book on these but I don't know the title, I was always told they where British imports for the confederate army and that they came over with the Enfield rifles.

British imports makes sense. I guess a manfacturer would help but never heard of any, although the Birmingham area would not surprise me. What I don't know is, if we sold you 'old or used' stock or gave you the good new stuff. :dontknow:
Anyone with further documentary knowledge would be welcome in this discussion because it helps narrow down the dates on my collection :thumbsup: (& benefits all that read this)

MKnTenn

Jul 30, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other

CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:

British imports makes sense. I guess a manfacturer would help but never heard of any, although the Birmingham area would not surprise me. What I don't know is, if we sold you 'old or used' stock or gave you the good new stuff. :dontknow:
Anyone with further documentary knowledge would be welcome in this discussion because it helps narrow down the dates on my collection :thumbsup: (& benefits all that read this)
I don't know the exact date when they where shipped over but it had to be during the Civil War, I believe the three band Enfield rifle was top of the line during that period so it would make since that the buckles where new also, but I could be wrong. They must have gotten alot of Enfields through the blockade because we find have found tons of Enfield bullets over here. Hey, I love your country. HH

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:
CRUSADER said:
MKnTenn said:

I don't know the exact date when they where shipped over but it had to be during the Civil War, I believe the three band Enfield rifle was top of the line during that period so it would make since that the buckles where new also, but I could be wrong. They must have gotten alot of Enfields through the blockade because we find have found tons of Enfield bullets over here. Hey, I love your country. HH

I have no reason to think they were not new as well. I have learnt though to keep an open mind to 'all' possibilies until proven otherwise. I hope we find out. What is true, is that they were not made specifically for the CW but were used in them :icon_thumright:

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

That snake buckle is a great find. It is true that they were manufactured in England and shipped to the aid of the Confederate cause in blockade runner ships during the Civil War. That said, this find was dug in Montana, and also the hook part (not the snake, but the other piece) is thinner than the style/guage of brass I have seen on mid-19th century examples.

I dug one of those fastener pieces in a site in KY that was occupied c.1840-60, and not much before or after. It was thicker than the example posted above, and I never could manage to find the snake. :(

It is true that as English finds these span a wide date range. Few of these made their way over here, historically, with the exception of the shipment(s) that came during the American Civil War. That said, I strongly feel that the example posted in the original post is later on (late 19th c. at the earliest).

Great Find!!

-Buckles

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Just to hopin here guys.....there are over 27 different types of these buckles and many Pre Date the C.W.,and I can also tell you a whole lot of em made here to the U.S. long before the C.W. :thumbsup:........a whole bunch!!!!

OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Huh? I had no idea this buckle was that old, cool! So, to be clear tho, is this thing military related, or just a civilian peice? And does it have any value, if i find the rest of it?

Broken knee

Bronze Member
Dec 12, 2009
in your back yard
Detector(s) used
excal 2
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

IAMZIM said:
Huh? I had no idea this buckle was that old, cool! So, to be clear tho, is this thing military related, or just a civilian peice? And does it have any value, if i find the rest of it?
Here is something I found on them. Yes it has value and more if you can find the other part. Dig every thing around there. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee http://sgtriker.com/accoutrement.htm Civil War snake buckle. This small, brass buckle was recovered last year in Charles City County, Virginia. It is probably Confederate, but it may be English-made. It shows considerable wear, as you would expect from heavy campaigning. It is guaranteed to be authentic in all aspects. This ornate buckle is beautifully delicate and measures 1 5/8" tall.
Item AC9118 $199.99

Attachments

• smallsnake-s.jpg
    smallsnake-s.jpg
    6.3 KB · Views: 2,079
OP
OP
IAMZIM

IAMZIM

Bronze Member
Apr 23, 2011
Butte City, Montana
Detector(s) used
ace 250/garret pinpointer, garret AT Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Broken knee said:
IAMZIM said:
Here is something I found on them. Yes it has value and more if you can find the other part. Dig every thing around there. HH :icon_thumright:
Broken Knee http://sgtriker.com/accoutrement.htm Civil War snake buckle. This small, brass buckle was recovered last year in Charles City County, Virginia. It is probably Confederate, but it may be English-made. It shows considerable wear, as you would expect from heavy campaigning. It is guaranteed to be authentic in all aspects. This ornate buckle is beautifully delicate and measures 1 5/8" tall.
Item AC9118 $199.99
Holy cow your right Broken knee! Look at this one i found...looks almost just like mine!

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    94.4 KB · Views: 1,330
  • P1000563.JPG
    P1000563.JPG
    168.7 KB · Views: 1,328

grasshopper

Bronze Member
Aug 13, 2007
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus/Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: C.S. Snake buckle & nice IH

here's some info i found:

The south imported as many items into their war effort, from cannon to cartridges, rifles to powder, bullets to belts. Among the plates imported from Britain were their classic "snake" belt buckle, referred to as such because of the "S"-shaped animal used as the loop connectors of the two belt loops. Some styles were indeed true "snakes," while others were snakes with duck-heads (like this one), and variants of multiple styles and types. The British military used them, as well as private British makers made them for retail. Then, within the South, there were local makers of these "snake" buckles to boot. A lot of "snakes" around! It is also very true that this British "snake" buckle style continued to be made and utilized throughout her majesty's empire/colonies for many decades after the war. Sadly, many "snake" buckles are being passed for "Civil War," though many were made long afterward. And with so many variations known to exist from the War, it is hard to determine whether a plate is "period" or not by the size or style alone. BUT, with the construction of the brazing of the "loops" that the "snake" hooks into, we KNOW this is STRICTLY CIVIL WAR PERIOD!!! Dug specimens are nice, since they tell you it was found within a camp or battle. But non-dug ones abound from many places. This one measures 45mm by 72mm--which is the size of the snake buckle in Mullinax's CS Belt Buckle book, Plate 206 (though a different style). What is nice is that regardless, they are an affordable option for collector's to exemplify one of the South's well-used plates.

http://www.championhillrelics.com/bucklesplates.htm

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread