1989D Deep Chocolate Jefferson Nickel With Initials ? Numbering? Lettering?

ossean

Tenderfoot
Nov 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
untitleddddddddd.png untitlednh.png
Hello
Can someone please tell me what I found. It is a 1989D Jefferson Nickel Deep Dark Chocolate Brown that looks black . There is initials and lettering and numbers on it. Around the outer rim of the coin is a smooth thick brown with a silver or nickel coloring lining ? The coin is smooth in coloring if I said this right. The details are very good. I don't know what it is. There is no sign of damage by water or anything else. Its a regular Nickel but of another substance in coloring.
untitled  vv.png result3.png untitledssss.png untitledng.png result4.png result5.png

Last edited:
Upvote 1

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need a real camera because those photos are worthless. Where is this " initials and lettering and numbers on it" ?

DocBeav

Bronze Member
Jul 8, 2012
SE Va
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Minelab CTX 3030 (17", 11", 6" coils), Minelab Excalibur 800, Minelab Excalibur 1000 (w/OBN's Remote Pinpoint mod and CTX headphone connector)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like many other nickels that come out of the ground or off the beach. Sometimes they are actually an orange or red color. I don't see the lettering you are referring too. If you take a better picture of them you may get some more info from others here. The sides of the nickels (and pennies) are smooth but the dimes, quarters and 1/2 dollars all have ribbed edges. Here is info on your nickel: 1989 D Jefferson Nickel Value | CoinTrackers

Not sure if there were silver proof sets made that would have included 1989 nickels but someone here could prob answer that better than I.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Garrett gti 2500, Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I was thinking it might of came from a silver proof set. I knew someone who found a 1990's silver quarter from a silver proof set, so there must be some nickels out there.

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats what I was thinking it might of came from a silver proof set. I knew someone who found a 1990's silver quarter from a silver proof set, so there must be some nickels out there.

uh....what? :icon_scratch:

I dont see anything odd about this coin...I cant see any of the initals or writing on it

texasvarmit

Oct 6, 2006
Texas and Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT gold, Fisher CZ5 quicksilver, Garrett pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see any writing or anything odd about this coin other than it looks like it may have been in the ground a while. All the wording and date etc appears to be regular stock die strike of that year. If there is some etched or scratched letters on it, I can't see them in your photos.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
uh....what? :icon_scratch:

I dont see anything odd about this coin...I cant see any of the initals or writing on it
Looks like a plain nickel to me also. I see a blurry picture of a nickel. It was the black looking tarnish that made me think it could be possible it is silver and came out of a silver proof set. The war nickels I find in my pocket change from time to time look exactly the same, with the black tarnish look. Then again I don't even know if they made silver proof sets in 89. Did you find the nickel with a metal detector? If so what is reading on the machine when you go over it? That might clear up the silver or not issue.

Mzjavert

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2011
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Mark IV
Garrett Ace 350
Garrett Carrot
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In silver proof sets the nickels and cents are not made of silver. Only the dimes, quarters, halves are silver.

The patina is typical of any nickel that's been buried long enough. In fact all clad coins will look like this if buried long enough. Depending on the soil, long enough could be weeks are a couple of years. Doesn't take long at all for clad to get ugly underground.

Helix

Bronze Member
Jul 27, 2013
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There ya go, only dimes, quarters and halves, not nickels. learn something every day! :icon_thumright:
In silver proof sets the nickels and cents are not made of silver. Only the dimes, quarters, halves are silver.

The patina is typical of any nickel that's been buried long enough. In fact all clad coins will look like this if buried long enough. Depending on the soil, long enough could be weeks are a couple of years. Doesn't take long at all for clad to get ugly underground.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's no need to speak to anyone like that.
I agree, allot of my photos are just like that, I'm not going to run out and buy a new camera just because you say so. The guy is trying to learn, what kind of charter member are you, the arrogant one?

Diggin-N-Dumps

Gold Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fort Worth,Texas
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / AT PRO / Etrac w/ NEL
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree, allot of my photos are just like that, I'm not going to run out and buy a new camera just because you say so. The guy is trying to learn, what kind of charter member are you, the arrogant one?

Im not taking sides....but i do understand both side...I see on a daily basis people asking about "DETAILED" things about thier finds, but want answers from low quailty pics...I actually preview my posts so i can make sure its all legible and the pics make sense

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nickels often turn darker like yours - although we call them nickels, it would be more accurate to call them coppers , they are composed of
75% copper and only 25% nickel . Copper is a highly reactive metal , and is subject to the sort of dis coloration your coin displays.

Daryn

Apr 23, 2013
You need a real camera because those photos are worthless. Where is this " initials and lettering and numbers on it" ?

That was very rude of you to comment like this. It is people like you that make people think twice about posting their finds.

davehky

Jan 3, 2007
Mass
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 garrette pro pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
He never seen a dark nickel like that! That's why we post here. To show our finds and ask what they are,if we do not know!Just be kinder with the way you put your words. Oh maybe you can purchase a real camera for him with the $$$ you make with YOUR findings. Have a GOOD DAY!:laughing7:

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is not a very good comment to make to a newbie, you need to retract that remark & apologize. Just maybe it's his first dug nickel and doesn't realize that some coins come out of the ground looking this way. Another, he may not have a good camera.

THINK.jpg

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh great, here come the PC police.... Don't you know you aren't allowed to post anything except butterflies and rainbows here?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread