WWII Trench Art Ring From Oran N. Africa

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
eTrac, Excalibur II, ctx3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The other day while snowed in I was looking through my silver rings found in 2013. I came across an ugly homemade silver ring with a mercury dime head mounted on top. I found this ring back in January at an old swimming hole. Upon closer inspection I found inscriptions on each side, side 1 says "ORAN", Side 2 says "N. Africa". So with a little detective help from the wife, we figured out that this was a hand made trench art ring made from coin silver in Oran North Africa during WW2! Back in 1943-1945 US and allies were station in Oran North Africa placing this ring to that timeframe. Also during research I found 2 other examples of very similar design rings with the same story. Pretty neat story if you think about it... A homemade ring found halfway around the world :) Oh and the ring weighs in at 8.42 grams, so a half dollar was probably used to make the signet part and a cut out mercury dime for the top. Thanks for reading and Happy Hunting! image-3449067960.jpg image-983197570.jpg image-2742846665.jpg image-3291180276.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 21

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! That is about the coolest ring I have seen in a long time. Thanks for sharing.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool find for sure ! How can you be certain that a half dollar was used as the silver source for the ring shank ? what is your theory for
how that part was cast ?(we can agree that the shank was cast ?) A silver half weighs 12.5 grams , but so does 2 silver quarters , or 5
silver dimes .

OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool find for sure ! How can you be certain that a half dollar was used as the silver source for the ring shank ? what is your theory for how that part was cast ?(we can agree that the shank was cast ?) A silver half weighs 12.5 grams , but so does 2 silver quarters , or 5 silver dimes .
Very true, but using a half by drilling a hole through the middle and pounding the ring into shape would of been much easier than melting coins and casting in an army/navy quarters. And by drilling a hole through the middle you would lose about 4-5 grams of silver. Just using logical thinking, as I own a half dollar ring which weighs 8.6 grams.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Seener53

Seener53

Jul 22, 2012
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Cool find for sure ! How can you be certain that a half dollar was used as the silver source for the ring shank ? what is your theory for how that part was cast ?(we can agree that the shank was cast ?) A silver half weighs 12.5 grams , but so does 2 silver quarters , or 5 silver dimes .
Also there are no hallmarks of any kind anywhere on the ring that would indicate a maker or casting . If you look closely on the Oran side there are traces of copper showing.

3 of 6 GMG's

Oct 23, 2013
Detector(s) used
AP PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very very beautiful piece of history and art. Thank you for sharing your great find and HH.

Matt

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing, nice job on the research, that's so neat you found something very special and rare.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a real treasure. You don't see them very often.

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Also there are no hallmarks of any kind anywhere on the ring that would indicate a maker or casting . If you look closely on the Oran side there are traces of copper showing.

That's an awesome ring! I didn't know there was any copper in a half dollar made in the 40's?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread