Coin Spill Found with BIG SILVER!

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Went detecting with a couple of detecting buddies yesterday with my upgraded F75 LTD2.

I decided to wonder over into a field that hasn't really give much up in the past. First find was what looks like an old 1800's binocular eye piece? The a few minutes later I got a wheatie. Didn't think much about it, a wheatie is a new coin for this site. Then a few feet away from the wheatie I got an odd signal. Dug it and got another wheatie. Stuck the pin-pointer back in the hole, and it was singing and dancing! Started pulling wheat after wheat, then an indian, hit some nickels, a buffalo and two V nickels, couple more wheaties and another indian. Rescanned the hold with the detector and it was quite. Thought OK, that's cool, my first old coin spill, but thought it was odd that there wasn't a single silver coin. I decided to grid the area around the coin spill, and about ten feet away I got a 1917S Merc. Continued my grid pattern, and five feet away from that I got a 94 on my F75. It was one of those too good to be true signals, and I was thinking, OK given the coin spill, maybe it's a half. I carefully dug it and out popped a BIG DISC! It was coated in dirt so I couldn't see the front, flipped it over and couldn't see the back either, so I did the unthinkable, put it into my mouth :tongue3: I've done this with half dollars before, but this was larger, when I took it out, I could now see that I had dug my first Morgan silver dollar, an 1878S!

I called my friend over who was swinging a CTX3030 with a 17" coil to see the Morgan, and he helped scan the area to make sure I didn't miss anything, and he didn't get a single signal. Now the site we were detecting predates the Morgan by about one hundred years, but I was pretty stoked with the find :hello2:

Here's the coins freshly dug, just rinsed the silver off under the faucet with a toothbrush:

Just%20Dug.jpg

Here they are all cleaned up, I like how some of the coins have kept their original color where they were sandwiched together:

All%20Clean1.jpg

All%20Clean2.jpg

Here's the relics. The oval piece next to the buttons was pretty deep and I originally thought it was a piece of junk. But when I got it cleaned up, I believe it's a 1700's Spanish Saint Christopher medallion with a sideways clasp. Bummer it's in such poor condition.

Relics1.jpg

Relics2.jpg

Happy hunting,
Brian

Upvote 44

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful Morgan ! First year of the series too- nice bunch of smaller coins as well. Very exciting day out !!!
I'd like to know what your dates are on the rest of the spill if you wouldn't mind posting them - Thank You .

Last edited:

david680

Bronze Member
Jun 4, 2014
Salem, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Argentium, very nice find, but curious as to the dates on the rest of it. Seems like that mix might have a better date on the buff or wheats.

Goldenplug

Jul 30, 2014
Upstate, ny
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 8.5 x 11 dd coil, teknetics t2, sniper coil, dd coild, lesche digger, gator tool, garrett propointer.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You put that coin in your mouth? Thats hardcore! :headbang:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
sweet finds, congrats

foreverRich

Mar 31, 2009
Portsmouth, VA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000
,GTA1000, Discovery3300
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Certainly a wide variety of coins for a small area. Also a wide range of dates. The Morgan would have made a great day for me. Haven't found one of them in 40 years of detecting. Congratulations !!

OP
OP
Cal_Cobra

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Beautiful Morgan ! First year of the series too- nice bunch of smaller coins as well. Very exciting day out !!!
I'd like to know what your dates are on the rest of the spill if you wouldn't mind posting them - Thank You .

Thanks everyone, it was very exciting to find the Morgan dollar!

Here are the dates of the coins:

1878S Morgan dollar
1917S Mercury dime
1892 V nickel
1902 V nickel
1916S Buffalo nickel
1888 Indianhead
1902 Indianhead
1916S Wheatback
1919S Wheatback
1920S Wheatback (three)
1921S Wheatback

And one 192? S Wheatback. I guess it's an error coin, as there's not fourth digit on the date, it's not worn off, it's just not there. :icon_scratch:

Given the date spread, I'd have to estimate it was lost in the early 1920's.

Argentium

Gold Member
Feb 2, 2008
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Whites, MXT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cal , I forgot to say Welcome to the Silver Dollar Club ! Fairly elite metal detecting company actually -as most will never find one !

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can you put a good pic of the three digit wheat back up I would love to see that.

Metal Illness

Jul 1, 2011
Englewood, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the BIG OLE SILVER!!! What a sweet coin spill, still waiting on one like that, wtg man!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow, very nice digs! Your mouth must be pretty big ... and full of dirt lol!

Conclusion-spitting mud.

Now that's a really nice looking silver, a welcomed sight for anybody.

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on an eye popping find. Very good job!

hunting deer

Jul 21, 2010
Indiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on the Morgan! I found an 1889 o last year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread