I Was Enlightened This Evening

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here I sit, like many days and evenings, reading the posts, particularly "Today's Finds". I like to post on all finds (especially those in the US) and provide supportive comments to others on the fruits of their passion. Tonight I noticed that some of our fellow Tnet members only post their digs and never comment on others. If you are one of those selfish members, do not expect more than a like from me going forward. No sense in me investing time commenting on your finds if you are not willing to put some time into giving some supporting comments to others. JMHO

My time is just as precious to me as your's is to you. 8-)

GL & HH

Upvote 40

Dirtwisher

Nov 1, 2013
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 9" and 11", AT Pro, Propointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When it comes to pasting a post, to me it's far better than no posts. It shows that they've read and are acknowledging your post.[/QUOTE]

So you're saying the guy who pastes "Great finds, thanks for sharing" on every thread posted in the Today's Finds section is sincerely reading the posting? I contend they're leaving mass comments in an attempt to bolster their numbers and probably don't read 95% of the threads upon which they're posting.

I would rather have someone comment every now and then when they see a post that touches them and their comments are genuine, original, and sincere.[/QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more, Beez. So, say some guy is doing the "thanks for sharing" thing to my post. We then see the same post on 15-20 threads, which has effectively bumped my original post so far down that it's now past the point where guys who only have a few minutes to check the site (or today's average attention span) are gonna see it. I'd rather not have the atta-boys. Those don't fluff my feathers nearly as much as when a guy with knowledge comments on the significance of a find. That's what puts a perspective on a find, not how many guys "like" a post, especially when they're giving a "like" to every post on their own threads. I didn't know when I signed up that there were going to be expectations for how generous I would be with my time. Sorry guys, but this sounds like the "every kid gets a medal" thing you see everywhere nowadays. We're talking about tolerance and respect to everyone on the site, but now that doesn't include guys who post more than they comment? The Jedi master Bill Belichick has a saying: "it is what it is". If people like your thread, maybe they will post. If they don't, they probably won't. Posting more or liking more doesn't make any of us better than anyone else, in my opinion.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just got through 6 pages of comments gave a like I think, but there's so many valid points in what has been stated by many that it all makes sense. We all want to be liked, and we limited time to put into something sometimes that we hope that will give a great return. I find it's hard at times to get a hunt in, then to clean up the finds to post them, keep track of the post and to reply plus put in enough effort to respond to others takes time. Sometimes I might cheap out and just say a few words, and I feel I just did that, but it was at least an acknowledgement to the poster was made, is it good or bad I guess it can go both ways.
Though it's VERY refreshing to read a comment thread that has gone 6 pages with the snipping and one up type thing that seems to happen by page three.
Great post LD :occasion14:

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here I sit, like many days and evenings, reading the posts, particularly "Today's Finds". I like to post on all finds (especially those in the US) and provide supportive comments to others on the fruits of their passion. Tonight I noticed that some of our fellow Tnet members only post their digs and never comment on others. If you are one of those selfish members, do not expect more than a like from me going forward. No sense in me investing time commenting on your finds if you are not willing to put some time into giving some supporting comments to others. JMHO

My time is just as precious to me as your's is to you. 8-)

GL & HH

I bounce back and forth, I try to reciprocate those who support me. I fall short sometimes, my life changes and along with change my priorities change along with it. My last year has me helping allot of people that need my experience, strength, and hope. It takes precedence over anything else. I hope I have not offended anyone with my neglect, especially those who religiously followed me this summer like yourself Loco!

FreeBirdTim

Silver Member
Sep 24, 2013
Scituate, RI
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Loco-Digger, you need to make your thread titles more specific! I checked your last 20 threads and only one gave a specific date of a coin. I'm lazy as heck and rarely click on threads that don't have specifics in the title. "found another silver" or "found an IHC" won't get my attention.

For example, you recently found a 1951 Franklin half dollar. I would have definitely checked that one out if you put that info in the title. Franklin halves are not a common find and I always enjoy seeing them posted here. But your thread title was "2 More Silvers - Checked One Off the Ole Bucket List". Sorry, but that won't do it for me! You've got to draw people in with the title! Just my opinion on this subject..

qaela4

Bronze Member
Jul 24, 2014
Keene, New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Quick Silver,Tesoro Silver Sabre uMax.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I see a lot of people here do the same thing FreeBird, telling people they need to work on the "titles". I understand what you mean, we are all probably guilty of skipping past a post based on the title at times. BUT, what if the person doesn't know the item they found is so awesome, rare or even banner worthy? Waynos, one of our members, whom I have hunted with, posted an 1828 capped bust quarter. He is an admited novice and ignorant of coins and values, the title of his post was "Another first", lucky for him and us enough people clicked into it, saw how great is was and kept his post near the top with replies, which makes people curious enough to look themselves. I know I am guilty of sometimes leaving the title a bit vague while dropping a hint of what I found so the reader can "discover" what I found, sounds kinda corny, but at heart don't we all do this for that feeling of discovery?

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see a lot of people here do the same thing FreeBird, telling people they need to work on the "titles". I understand what you mean, we are all probably guilty of skipping past a post based on the title at times. BUT, what if the person doesn't know the item they found is so awesome, rare or even banner worthy? Waynos, one of our members, whom I have hunted with, posted an 1828 capped bust quarter. He is an admited novice and ignorant of coins and values, the title of his post was "Another first", lucky for him and us enough people clicked into it, saw how great is was and kept his post near the top with replies, which makes people curious enough to look themselves. I know I am guilty of sometimes leaving the title a bit vague while dropping a hint of what I found so the reader can "discover" what I found, sounds kinda corny, but at heart don't we all do this for that feeling of discovery?

Exactly I like it to be a surprise. When someone says they found a nice silver. Sometimes it's a Mercury dime and sometimes it's a seated quarter. Anytime someone says its a first for them I always check it out. Then I remember my first of that type or look forward to it happening. Funniest thing as the example given about a Franklin half if he had known that's what it was from the title he would have looked at it sooner. In my case however if it said Franklin half in the title I would be less interested and probably skip over it. To each their own. I think vague titles are more intriguing otherwise I never would have clicked on this thread.

Lilly0fA

Feb 13, 2015
Washington State
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for this post Locco-Digger! It's a good reminder for me. I am sorry for being oblivious. There are a lot of good people on here, with awesome find!! Very exciting!

Last edited:

JimK

Aug 19, 2009
Central Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use the like button a lot. But I only respond to posts if what I have to say will add to that thread. Usually my knowledge is lacking compared to some on here so I read and learn instead of gumming up the works with nothing tio say.

JimK

relic lover

Bronze Member
Jul 4, 2006
Western PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE With a plethora of coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I gotta say one thing more. I think thread is good for everyone it almost seems like peoples etiquette has improved already on here.

OP
OP
Loco-Digger

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks to all who took the time to post on this thread. :notworthy: I know many of you have time constraints especially if you have children. I just hope that if you can find time to post your finds, you can also find some time to comment on or like a few other's posts that interest you.

Give and take seems more balanced than just take.

We Are Tnet :occasion14:

bigfoot1

Silver Member
Nov 1, 2011
so.cal.mtns.
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
garrett,minelab,fisher,,,atp current weapon of choice
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
the absolutely worst thing that can happen to a forum is lack of partisipation...that would suck.I figure that as long as a member isnt trolling,they can post whatever or however they like.I applaud all who partisipate.

gotta say that in the last year I have heard complaints about emojis use,grammer,capital letters,uninteresting comments,too many likes,not enuf likes,banner selection,drive by posters,posting too much,not enuf...the list goes on.as already said"it is what it is"and I like it.

I've finally learned that I cant teach the world to drive well.I now try to just chuckle at the knuckleheads on the road(unless they are friggin tailgaters...grrrr)I guess I'm still workin on it.

we are here because it is a better forum and is our favorite...good enuf for me !!!:occasion14:

sutphin

Gold Member
Oct 2, 2013
brunswick md
Detector(s) used
WHITES 5900, MXT 300, MXT PRO, MXT ALL PRO/ 8X6 SEF COIL
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I HAVENT POSTED A FIND IN A WHILE BUT IM ALL FOR COMMENTING ANY FIND NOW MATTER GOOD OR BAD , FOR WE TNETERS ARE A CLOSE FAMILY AND WE ALL APPRECIATE A COMMENT NOW AND THEN THATS THE NAME OF THE GAME ...

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your original post was well said Loco. I am one who tries to inject a little humor in my posts whether its my post or one that I am responding to.

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I encourage everyone to at least enter what state or region of the country you are in in your profile. Simply posting a country, nothing at all, or things like "Nowheretown" & "MickeyMouseville" give zero context to your finds as far as I'm concerned, no matter how good they may be. Although I understand why some would not want to
post specifics, I can't imagine anyone giving up their "secret site" locations posting at least a state or region of the country they're in.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread