NJ Copper, CT Copper, Shoe buckle, CW and much more.

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had Friday off work and was able to clear my schedule and get a few days of hunting in. The forecast was looking rough, with lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's, but with my limited hunting time recently I headed out to make the best of it. On Friday and Saturday I was wearing 2 pairs of pants, 4 long sleeved under shirts, a hoodie, a fleece and a jacket with gloves and hand warmers! Sunday was even colder in the low teens, so I added a 3rd pair of pants to the getup. I was able to hunt from sunrise to sunset with the hardest part being the transition from a warm car, to the freezing outdoors :laughing7:

I had been doing a lot of research lately and was looking forward to seeing if any of it would pan out. I had a rough Friday and Saturday with meager finds for the effort exerted in fridgid temperatures. I had a couple Indian Heads, a few buttons, a rosette and a very nice CW token. But on Sunday (yesterday) I had one of my best hunts ever with a NJ Copper, CT Copper, complete shoe buckle and two saddle shields along with some more buttons.

Here is the 3 day group shot

IMG_20161212_174705404.jpg

This is my first NJ Copper! I had no idea it was a NJ Copper when I dug it. The only thing I could see was a off centered shield. I asked Ahab8 and Scrappy what sort of coin has a off centered shield. After getting home and cleaning it off, Scrappy texted me back and said it was a off struck NJ Copper. I was thrilled. I did some careful cold HP soaks on it to reveal a little more detail before reaching out to Don for a proper ID. I cant thank Don enough for his invaluable knowledge on these coppers. He reached out to a couple others and the final consensus was that its a "1786 Maris 16-L variety, Rarity 2, common, offset". A huge thank you Don :occasion14:

IMG_20161212_173739259.jpg

The NJ as dug before removing any dirt and preservation

IMG_20161211_123937~2.jpg

I got one other very toasted copper from the same site. It looked oblong to me and I could see nothing on it. After some cold HP soaking a little of the crust came off and I couldnt believe what I was seeing. Strangely enough, it was another off struck copper and I could see a left facing bust with "CTORI" wrapping around the side.... a CT Copper :headbang: Its not pretty to look at, and the back is totally blank, but its offset strike is very cool. It appears oblong from where the dies smashed only half the panchlet.

IMG_20161212_173855367.jpg

The is my first Civil War token and its pretty freaken awesome. On the obverse it says "THE FLAG OF OUR UNION" and on the reverse it says "IF ANYBODY ATTEMPTS TO TEAR IT DOWN SHOOT HIM ON THE SPOT". It doesn't get much more patriotic than that. Here's a little more information on this token Civil War Flag Tokens

IMG_20161212_173917043.jpg
IMG_20161210_173332~2.jpg

This was a slamming signal with a little grunt and I was expecting it to be a large piece of iron. I pulled a very nice rose head nail out of the plug and the signal cleaned up. This buckle came out about 9 inches deep and I was beyond thrilled. I dig lots of pieces to buckle frames and lots of chapes and tongues, but as most of you know (except Ahab8) complete buckles are hard to come by. This is my second complete one and its by far the best condition of the two. About an hour after I texted this to Scrappy he returns an image of a complete buckle he just pulled out at his site... your welcome Steve. :laughing7:

IMG_20161212_174458074.jpg
IMG_20161212_174513980.jpg
IMG_20161211_125949.jpg

Last year I dug an odd tombac button back to a style button I didnt even know existed. Bill D. (VA) explained that they were the backs to a two piece button with a pewter or iron front and are rarely dug complete. The only other one I've seen dug complete was from DownNDirty earlier this year. Well I pulled this thing out and thought it was a tombac button, with crud on the front. While wiping the mud off, the front popped off perfectly at the seam. It turned out to be one of those hard to find complete colonial 2 piece buttons. Mine has a pewter front with a nice design, a tombac back with a broken iron shank. After cleaning it, I used some elmers to attach the front back on.

IMG_20161212_174138585.jpg

Two piece tombac\pewter button as dug. After sealing the pewter with elmers and drying, I applied a bead of elmers to the rim to glue it back together.

IMG_20161210_180533~2.jpg

This really nice lead rosette turned up as my first target on Friday. After cleaning it it appears to have some gilt in the low relief areas. The two really nice saddle shields turned up at a different site and one still has some silver plating on it.

IMG_20161212_174354206.jpg IMG_20161212_174421590.jpg

This brass piece is really awesome. I was certain I had another copper or another shoe buckle when I heard this thing. It was really deep and after cleaning it still has wood inside it. I am pretty sure this was the handle to a parasol and the wood inside makes it really cool.

IMG_20161212_174607976.jpg

A few of the nicer buttons including a nice eagle GS button.

IMG_20161212_174307838.jpg

I got two crusty IHP's and since I didn't care too much for them, I gave them an overnight cold HP soak. I couldn't believe what I found in the morning. The crust melted away and revealed a nice patina on these cents. Its not a fool proof preservation technique, but it sure worked well on a few of the coins I've dug recently. Thanks again Abe for telling me about this. I had done boiling HP in the past and didn't care for the results as much, but the cold peroxide really works well on those solid coins with crust on them.

IMG_20161212_174056877.jpg

And a few more group shots.

IMG_20161212_174749729.jpg IMG_20161212_174804876.jpg
IMG_20161212_174812326.jpg IMG_20161212_174821093.jpg
IMG_20161212_174829541.jpg

Thanks for looking everyone and hope you all can get some hunting in before the ground finishes freezing... if it already hasn't!

Last edited:
Upvote 43

Jeff H

Bronze Member
May 5, 2008
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
That was a HECK of a hunt to say the least. Congrats!

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well, now I know how your scouting mission went! Holy crow!! Congrats on your first NJ, and to find two staties that both had offset strikes is just unreal. I love the CW token and line-in-the-sand approach, never knew something like that was produced. Just tremendous assortment...great work!

Now I have to head out with my propane blowtorch to thaw out this ground and feel like I'm still in the game

Stef45

Jan 7, 2016
SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! The CW token is something you don't see everyday. So jealous of y'alls state coppers you pull up there maybe one day i'll get lucky and find a random one down in SC. Congrats on all the finds!

DownNDirty

Bronze Member
Jun 1, 2015
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow-when you said you had a great weekend you weren't kidding! Finding two off-struck state coppers in one day is amazing in itself but you knocked it out of the park with the two-piece button, buckle, saddle shields etc. etc. The Civil War token is really cool too. Way to kick arse :laughing7:

Last edited:
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions of the fantastic hunt! :notworthy:

The NJ copper, IH and buckle are very cool! :icon_thumright:

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Sweet Brad you trooped it and got rewarded..Thanks for saving that history:icon_thumright:

~Blaze

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on your hunts, those finds are what most would love to find at least once. Was a pleasure helping you on the NJ copper identification and adding it to the survey. Don

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a HECK of a hunt to say the least. Congrats!

Thanks Jeff! It was easily in my list of top hunts. The first saddle shield came out minutes after arriving and at that point my hunt was already made.

Well, now I know how your scouting mission went! Holy crow!! Congrats on your first NJ, and to find two staties that both had offset strikes is just unreal. I love the CW token and line-in-the-sand approach, never knew something like that was produced. Just tremendous assortment...great work!

Now I have to head out with my propane blowtorch to thaw out this ground and feel like I'm still in the game

Thanks Ken! It was too cold to do any field cleaning and I wasnt taking my gloves off to take photos, so I didn't know what I had until I was able to get back and defrost. ha My digger was so cold that the unfrozen ground was freezing to it on contact. It would get a buildup of dirt on it that instantly froze, so I would have to take a rock and chip off the rock hard mud on the shovel blade from time to time. My pinpointer would also build up an ice ball of mud on the tip for the same reason.... and would look like a dirt lollipop after a dozen plugs. haha

Awesome! The CW token is something you don't see everyday. So jealous of y'alls state coppers you pull up there maybe one day i'll get lucky and find a random one down in SC. Congrats on all the finds!

Thanks Nick! I love finding state coppers. I now have 3 VA's, 2 CT's and the NJ. I would imagine some VA half pennies would have made their way down there.

Amazing.. I am so jealous

Thank you Randy!

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow-when you said you had a great weekend you weren't kidding! Finding two off-struck state coppers in one day is amazing in itself but you knocked it out of the park with the two-piece button, buckle, saddle shields etc. etc. The Civil War token is really cool too. Way to kick arse :laughing7:

Thanks Glenn! When I was able to clean off the crud and see the off struck bust on the CT and the "CTORI" lettering I couldn't believe two off struck state coppers came from the same spot on the same day. The probability of that has to be incredibly low. My only thought it perhaps the owner held onto novelty coins he found in circulation and later lost them :dontknow: Or perhaps off stuck state coppers are just more common than I know... and I really don't know much about them. ha That 2 piece tombac\pewter button is really awesome and I thought of yours as soon as I pulled it out and broke it in half. haha But at least I was able to restore and preserve it.

tn_outstanding.gif
Dang - fantastic couple of days!

Thank you vpnavy! It was a really great time for sure!

Congratualtions of the fantastic hunt! :notworthy:

The NJ copper, IH and buckle are very cool! :icon_thumright:

Thank you Professor! I didn't think much of this IH's at first, but when I took them out of the HP I was in awe. haha Before they went in the HP I couldn't even see the complete dates on either, but once they came out I couldn't stop staring at them.

Sweet Brad you trooped it and got rewarded..Thanks for saving that history:icon_thumright:

~Blaze

Thanks JB! It was well worth freezing my @$$ off for a hunt like that. :laughing7: Hope you can make it out some more before it freezes up there.

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on your hunts, those finds are what most would love to find at least once. Was a pleasure helping you on the NJ copper identification and adding it to the survey. Don

Thanks a ton Don! I really appreciate all of the time you took to help me with the ID and variety on this copper. I cant thank you enough. :occasion14:

-Brad

Patriot 1776

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Dec 9, 2014
MA
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX and V3i, Garrett AT Pro , ACE 350, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had Friday off work and was able to clear my schedule and get a few days of hunting in. The forecast was looking rough, with lows in the teens and highs in the low 30's, but with my limited hunting time recently I headed out to make the best of it. On Friday and Saturday I was wearing 2 pairs of pants, 4 long sleeved under shirts, a hoodie, a fleece and a jacket with gloves and hand warmers! Sunday was even colder in the low teens, so I added a 3rd pair of pants to the getup. I was able to hunt from sunrise to sunset with the hardest part being the transition from a warm car, to the freezing outdoors :laughing7:

I had been doing a lot of research lately and was looking forward to seeing if any of it would pan out. I had a rough Friday and Saturday with meager finds for the effort exerted in fridgid temperatures. I had a couple Indian Heads, a few buttons, a rosette and a very nice CW token. But on Sunday (yesterday) I had one of my best hunts ever with a NJ Copper, CT Copper, complete shoe buckle and two saddle shields along with some more buttons.

Here is the 3 day group shot

View attachment 1390902

This is my first NJ Copper! I had no idea it was a NJ Copper when I dug it. The only thing I could see was a off centered shield. I asked Ahab8 and Scrappy what sort of coin has a off centered shield. After getting home and cleaning it off, Scrappy texted me back and said it was a off struck NJ Copper. I was thrilled. I did some careful cold HP soaks on it to reveal a little more detail before reaching out to Don for a proper ID. I cant thank Don enough for his invaluable knowledge on these coppers. He reached out to a couple others and the final consensus was that its a "1786 Maris 16-L variety, Rarity 2, common, offset". A huge thank you Don :occasion14:

View attachment 1390891

I got one other very toasted copper from the same site. It looked oblong to me and I could see nothing on it. After some cold HP soaking a little of the crust came off and I couldnt believe what I was seeing. Strangely enough, it was another off struck copper and I could see a left facing bust with "CTORI" wrapping around the side.... a CT Copper :headbang: Its not pretty to look at, and the back is totally blank, but its offset strike is very cool. It appears oblong from where the dies smashed only half the panchlet.

View attachment 1390892

The is my first Civil War token and its pretty freaken awesome. On the obverse it says "THE FLAG OF OUR UNION" and on the reverse it says "IF ANYBODY ATTEMPTS TO TEAR IT DOWN SHOOT HIM ON THE SPOT". It doesn't get much more patriotic than that. Here's a little more information on this token Civil War Flag Tokens

View attachment 1390893

This was a slamming signal with a little grunt and I was expecting it to be a large piece of iron. I pulled a very nice rose head nail out of the plug and the signal cleaned up. This buckle came out about 9 inches deep and I was beyond thrilled. I dig lots of pieces to buckle frames and lots of chapes and tongues, but as most of you know (except Ahab8) complete buckles are hard to come by. This is my second complete one and its by far the best condition of the two. About an hour after I texted this to Scrappy he returns an image of a complete buckle he just pulled out at his site... your welcome Steve. :laughing7:

View attachment 1390899
View attachment 1390900

Last year I dug an odd tombac button back to a style button I didnt even know existed. Bill D. (VA) explained that they were the backs to a two piece button with a pewter or iron front and are rarely dug complete. The only other one I've seen dug complete was from DownNDirty earlier this year. Well I pulled this thing out and thought it was a tombac button, with crud on the front. While wiping the mud off, the front popped off perfectly at the seam. It turned out to be one of those hard to find complete colonial 2 piece buttons. Mine has a pewter front with a nice design, a tombac back with a broken iron shank. After cleaning it, I used some elmers to attach the front back on.

View attachment 1390895

This really nice lead rosette turned up as my first target on Friday. After cleaning it it appears to have some gilt in the low relief areas. The two really nice saddle shields turned up at a different site and one still has some silver plating on it.

View attachment 1390897 View attachment 1390898

This brass piece is really awesome. I was certain I had another copper or another shoe buckle when I heard this thing. It was really deep and after cleaning it still has wood inside it. I am pretty sure this was the handle to a parasol and the wood inside makes it really cool.

View attachment 1390901

A few of the nicer buttons including a nice eagle GS button.

View attachment 1390896

I got two crusty IHP's and since I didn't care too much for them, I gave them an overnight cold HP soak. I couldn't believe what I found in the morning. The crust melted away and revealed a nice patina on these cents. Its not a fool proof preservation technique, but it sure worked well on a few of the coins I've dug recently. Thanks again Abe for telling me about this. I had done boiling HP in the past and didn't care for the results as much, but the cold peroxide really works well on those solid coins with crust on them.

View attachment 1390894

And a few more group shots.

View attachment 1390903 View attachment 1390904
View attachment 1390905 View attachment 1390906
View attachment 1390907

Thanks for looking everyone and hope you all can get some hunting in before the ground finishes freezing... if it already hasn't!

Great finds
I really like that off centered NJ copper
Never seen one before
Happy Treasure Hunting

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
That was a crazy-good hunt Brad with some exceptional finds including all those firsts. It's hard to believe your site keeps producing relics and coin in prodigious numbers. You're going to end up with a major museum in your house from just this one site. WTG man!!!

Appalachianman76

Aug 22, 2016
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Garrett AT Pro
Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One of the best hunts I've ever seen! "Congrats" just doesn't do it justice!!! :notworthy:

OP
OP
OutdoorAdv

OutdoorAdv

Bronze Member
Apr 16, 2013
East Coast - USA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus,
GPX 4500,
Equinox 800,
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great finds
I really like that off centered NJ copper
Never seen one before
Happy Treasure Hunting

Thank you Patriot 1776! Its the first NJ I've seen\held in person. I had seen pictures of them online and seen people post them on here, so with that off center shield I didn't even know what it was. ha

That was a crazy-good hunt Brad with some exceptional finds including all those firsts. It's hard to believe your site keeps producing relics and coin in prodigious numbers. You're going to end up with a major museum in your house from just this one site. WTG man!!!

Thanks a ton Bill! I also need to empty out my two large displays and completely reorganize them. Although the task will be much smaller than yours, I am still not looking forward to it. :laughing7: At this point though, I don't even have a proper place to display the stuff from this post, so I really need to get it done.

One of the best hunts I've ever seen! "Congrats" just doesn't do it justice!!! :notworthy:

Thank you Appalachianman76! Its easily one of my top hunts for sure.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Here's what you need Brad. Lots of storage too. I bet you could make one if you could find the space ....

coolrelicdisplay1.jpg

Tommy G

Bronze Member
Dec 5, 2015
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I would risk frostbite for those finds any day! A hearty congratulations! The off center strikes on those state coppers just makes them even more of a treasure. And thanks for passing along the cold HP tip. Seems to have done a great job on those indian heads.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic hunt Brad, some great finds in there. Love that off centered NJ. The Civil War token and the shoe buckle are just about perfect. Quite an age differential too. The two piece button is pretty cool. I have at least a dozen backs for those buttons and one front, but I have never found a complete one.

I am a little confused by your post (and I read it twice). Were these finds the result of new research, or were they from the site you have been working for the last year or so? Sounds like they were all surface finds, which leads me to believe your research paid off.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread