Not all good digs include silver...

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for looking. All in all a great day I think. I'll take this Buffalo over a Buf nickel. One pound of cast iron, and the lock of this type is a first for me. M.W. & Co. It got tossed because the key broke in the lock(I would guess). The spoon was a real head scratcher for a bit, I knew there was something on it but it took an hour to get down to it and surprise, an 1892-3 Worlds Fair spoon with Electrical building on it along with what looks like Chris Columbus. I searched far and long to find the exact match on the net but came up nil. Found a few with Chris looking up to his left but none to his right, and not one spoon with that exact image of the building. I'd love to just see one in nice shape to know what I cannot see. Also, it has a gold looking finish to it. I have pulled many a silver plated utensil but they don't resemble the finish on this. Got a toasted pocket knife that's got some nice scroll work and the clasp to attach to something. Cambria09 and I have pulled many a great find from this 6 acre site but it Florida Jungle and swinging isn't easy. Thanks again for checking these out.

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    912.4 KB · Views: 73
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 101
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 62
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 91
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 97
Upvote 28

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, you may not have silver here but, you got some treasure for sure. I bet that old Bison would clean up rather nicely. Cool old spoon, padlock, and pocket knife. Good digs from the jungle!:headbang:

Last edited:

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Excellent bunch of finds. The Columbian Exposition of 1892-93 marked the 400th anniversary of the Columbus Voyage to America. The exposition, also known as the Chicago World's Fair was held from May 1st to October 30th. It had 27 million people attend. The spoon you have recovered was of course a souvenir. I suspect there were many versions. Souvenir Spoon collecting has been very popular for hundreds of years. Your spoon is unique and probably a very desirable one for spoon collectors.
Congratulations on all your finds.

mindcrime1988

Bronze Member
Apr 17, 2011
Southeast Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, XP Deus II, DetectorPro Headhunter, BlissTool & Pulsedive
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There is a spoon on EBay just like yours but unfortunately the photos are not that great. It is listed as "Columbian Exposition Electrical Building Souvenir Spoon."

Plus I found a very helpful link to these type of spoons but once again I cannot find one just like yours. Perhaps you'll have better luck.
cwfindex

lockster99

Dec 8, 2013
SE Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What looks like a broke off key in your padlock, is actually the "post" for a hollow shaft key. Nice diggins.

cambria09

Bronze Member
Jun 10, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Mine Lab Sovereign Elite, Mine Lab Etrac, Garrett ATMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello My Friend. Those are some far-out and solid finds you made.

That spoon is too right and I am looking forward to how the buff comes out.

You bested me again today but there is always another day...how about tomorrow?

Good Luck. Chris

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds I hope you show the buffalo cleaned up nice spoon I have a knife Identical to yours hope someone can help with age on that Good job!!!!! Tommy

highnam

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2012
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cheap, safe way to clean that awesome buffalo would be nice 10 day soak in apple cider vinegar. Great stuff

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are very correct. Not all good finds are silver for sure! Very good hunt you had today!!
I really like that old lock....very good find!!

relic nut

Silver Member
Nov 29, 2014
VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 TELEKINETICS 4000 GARRET AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have come back with some great finds! Like others have said, we would love to see the buffalo after cleaning. The spoon is also a nice save. Thanks for posting

HH, RN

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on finding some great relics. Its hard to tell by the size in your picture, but the bison may have been used as a doorstop if its a solid piece.

OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks crime, I didn't put in the right header info ebay but you got it for me. Nice to see what it was suppose to look like, thanks.

OP
OP
B

Btoots

Nov 16, 2014
Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for that, what will that do? I was going to sand blast it to get down to the original layer but I'll try anything, thanks

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome finds, congratulations! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread