GodlessWanderer

Aug 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Made of amethyst possibly?

20200805_100025.jpg

I can elaborate more on where I found and what I did and where it was and all those things if I catch some interest from some of the people on this form which I'm trying to do to educate myself further dot-dot-dot

Attachments

• 20200805_102205.jpg
    20200805_102205.jpg
    155.1 KB · Views: 124
Upvote 1

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've done a rudimentary study of Maya glyphs and it doesn't appear to be Maya in origin to me, but then again I don't consider myself an expert by any means. It looks more like something encrusted on the stone. A buckle? It does not look like a natural formation.

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
how big is it? where was it found? almost looks like glass from a house/barn fire or a fire pit, but that's just a shot in the dark not knowing anything else about it

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

Amethyst is the distinctly purple variety of quartz. It neither looks like amethyst, nor does it appear to have anything that could be said to be a Mayan hieroglyph (in my opinion). That's just a pattern from some secondary mineral encrustation or from melting.

OP
OP
G

GodlessWanderer

Aug 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WRONG!

Made of amethyst possibly?

View attachment 1854128

I can elaborate more on where I found and what I did and where it was and all those things if I catch some interest from some of the people on this form which I'm trying to do to educate myself further dot-dot-dot

20200805_144001.jpg 20200805_144235.jpg 20200805_144210.jpg 20200805_144151.jpg 20200805_143931.jpg 20200805_144426.jpg

I just want to say thanks for all the feedback... the guys that said it's melted glass... you are wrong and I'm not an idiot... I was prepared for all of this negative feedback and thought I'd take a shot but apparently the cognitive dissonance on this planet is at an all-time high. Here's some more pictures and you can just call it melted glass or whatever... I know what it really is good luck to all of you.

OP
OP
G

GodlessWanderer

Aug 5, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet

Amethyst is the distinctly purple variety of quartz. It neither looks like amethyst, nor does it appear to have anything that could be said to be a Mayan hieroglyph (in my opinion). That's just a pattern from some secondary mineral encrustation or from melting.
It doesn't appear to have anything huh?anything? right, take a look again...

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It doesn't appear to have anything huh?anything? right, take a look again...

Yep I'm looking again. Nice piece of crystalline rock without any Mayan hieroglyphs.

Adding the word 'wrong' in bold capitals with an exclamation mark doesn't change my opinion and neither do the additional pictures. You can believe whatever you want. Take it to a museum if you want an expert opinion. I won't hold my breath waiting for the answer since I suspect you won't take up that suggestion.

GoldieLocks

Bronze Member
Dec 28, 2019
Nevada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am sorry to say I am an artist with some background in ancient writing and the top one looks spray painted and the bottom one is made out of a modern clay with a mold pressed into it. I would say the better of the two fakes.

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome GW- You certainly have an interesting piece here. I can't help you with its origin, but in my expereince, the folks on this website generally go out of their way to offer very informed opinions. No need to get defensive. Please keep us posted on future finds.

curbdiggercarl57

Silver Member
Nov 19, 2007
Largo, Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites Silver Eagle, DFX, Shadow X-2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, dot-dot-dot!
You tell em!
What's the date on the penny?
Is it a modern zinc, or a pre-1982?
Fantastic find!
Go Pro!

Tpmetal

Silver Member
Jan 4, 2017
Western ny
Detector(s) used
equinox 800, Whites mx sport, Garrot carrot, bounty hunter time ranger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1854150 View attachment 1854151 View attachment 1854152 View attachment 1854153 View attachment 1854154 View attachment 1854155

I just want to say thanks for all the feedback... the guys that said it's melted glass... you are wrong and I'm not an idiot... I was prepared for all of this negative feedback and thought I'd take a shot but apparently the cognitive dissonance on this planet is at an all-time high. Here's some more pictures and you can just call it melted glass or whatever... I know what it really is good luck to all of you.

Ok...well as someone who works with glass every single day, and has dug up melted glass from old burned houses..... it looks exactly as that...You also still fail to explain where you found it and in what setting. Was it in a creek? was it in a field? If you are so certain you know what you have, why come here and attack the opinions you asked for?

JVA5th

Silver Member
Mar 1, 2014
Merced, CA
Detector(s) used
Deus 2, Deus XP, AT Pro, Whites TRX pinpointer, Sampson Ground Shark shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well not to offend you but I don't see anything there. I mean I have no background in anything relating to it. Though to me just looks like some sort of natural mineral or something melted. The human brain tends to want to make natural shapes look like things. I could be wrong I will say.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1854150 View attachment 1854151 View attachment 1854152 View attachment 1854153 View attachment 1854154 View attachment 1854155

No one used the word idiot, except you. No one said anything negative. This should be marked "solved", you know what it is. Good luck to you too.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This picture suggests that it's some sort of melted glass as you can see the air bubbles inside it. Amethyst and naturally formed crystals don't exhibit that way. It looks like it fused into some sort of stone or concrete, perhaps when it melted. Also, i don't see any signs of human working, the features are very diffuse and rounded.

What's the story behind it? Where did you find it? Do you have any pictures of the area where you found it? Was it buried when you found it?

Click to enlarge:
glass.jpg

Last edited:

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Also, as far as seeing "something" in the object, it's a common occurrence called Pareidolia:

Pareidolia
NOUN: The perception of apparently significant patterns or recognizable images, especially faces, in random or accidental arrangements of shapes and lines.

Here's a classic example of Pareidolia on a hill on Mars:

OIP.jpg

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome, what you have there appears to be something entirety different than what's been suggested and interesting in its own right. That appears to be a very nice Chalcedony nodule, which is a form of cryptocrystalline quartz much like agate. The white areas of cortex and bubble-like indentations look appropriate for chalcedony too. It is a hard and tough mineral so if it had been polished and carved by man even 10,000 years of exposure wouldn't erode much. It looks entirely natural, but a very nice specimen of Chalcedony! Look around the area you found it and maybe ancient arrowheads etc of the same excellent material can be located.

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The white areas of cortex and bubble-like indentations look appropriate for chalcedony too. .

The external bubble indentations may, but the internal bubbles are not consistent with chalcedony. Look at this picture, there's 1000's of micro bubbles in there, that's consistent with it being melted and cooled in short order in a oxygen rich environment, not a naturally formed crystal like chalcedony or amethyst. It also lacks the normal crystalline structure of natural formed chalcedony, amethyst etc.

Click to enlarge:
glass.jpg

Last edited:

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No, all I see are thousands of smaller surface "orange peel" divots which are visible close to the light. That is consistent with chalcedony, which has a cryptocrystalline amorphous habit, not a visible crystalline structure like amethyst. I've dug gobs and gobs of melted glass in my years of bottle digging and also found my fair share of Chalcedony walking creeks etc. and am quite confident that's what it is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions