jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I have literally been waiting for this day to come for years! My best day detecting to date:

Jim and his mom GRACIOUSLY invited me to their special spot for a day of detecting. After spending a short time in a front field and digging 2 buttons, I kept looking over to a spot way in a side field with a slight hilly incline. I made my way over there and dug a few wheaties and some more buttons before coming back around to the edge of the field. As I was swinging back to Jim's truck for some water and to ditch my sweatshirt, I hit a high tone but an unfamiliar 12-36. After digging the target, it turned out to be my FIRST half cent but I did not immediately identify it so after showing it to Jim, he tells me I am the proud owner of a Liberty Cap Half Cent! A frenzy ensues and we all rush over to the corner of the field and just go nuts! We were all digging targets rapidly but for me, out popped a flat button, then a Dandy button, then a cut large copper coin, then another half cent (which we all erroneously ID'd as a Farthing lol). After a while of this, Jim had already dug his beautiful NJ copper and I was working my way back up the "hotspot" area, when I hit on another 12-36. Jim and his mom watched me dig it and out popped another half cent. The reverse looked nice but the obverse was caked with a hard crust. It was thick with a lettered edge, so that helps with the year. Toward the end of the day I found what seemed like my dozenth spoon but it turned out to be Sterling! Jim then ID'd my cut copper as a cut NJ copper! After a long full day, we all had finally had enough and headed home.

At home, I was mulling through my Red Book and removing the loose dirt from my coins. After conserving the crusty half cent, I looked for the year and noticed that mine had a BIG dot in between Half and Cent with "berries" clearly visible on the wreath. Even with the obverse toasted, that can only mean one year, 1793!!! After carefully removing the crust on the obverse, I could see the details clear as day, once the water started to dry on the surface of the coin. 1793, head facing left!

The 2nd half cent is a Liberty Cap and the date is partly visible with 17XX showing. It is a thin planchet with no edge lettering making it 1795, 1796, or 1797 as the only choices. The 3rd half cent is a Braided Hair with 18XX showing but it is in pretty rough shape. I have no clue on the NJ Copper as I cant find a date or any identifying marks.

Sorry for the bad pics but you can really see the detail very well only when the coins are wet and starting to dry. I didn't have time to clean my other finds so I decided to post pics of that stuff tomorrow. Thanks for looking. What an awesome day!

UPDATE: Pics of the rest of the day's finds including: Wheaties, 2 IH's, James Monroe token, good luck token, 8 buttons, 1 bird token/button?

Posted better pics of the NJ for Don as well as better pics of the 1793 where you can see the bust and date clearly. Enjoy!

Attachments

• 1793halfob2.jpg
    1793halfob2.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 167
  • 1793halfob1.jpg
    1793halfob1.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 179
  • 1793halfrev.jpg
    1793halfrev.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 170
  • 179xhalf.jpg
    179xhalf.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 162
  • 18xxhalf.jpg
    18xxhalf.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 169
  • novaces1.jpg
    novaces1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 165
  • 1sterlingspoon1.jpg
    1sterlingspoon1.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 160
  • 1793halfcent2.jpg
    1793halfcent2.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 127
  • novaces2.jpg
    novaces2.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 121
  • novaces3.jpg
    novaces3.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 127
  • 1793halfcent1.jpg
    1793halfcent1.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 120
  • 1793halfrelics.jpg
    1793halfrelics.jpg
    93.4 KB · Views: 114
  • 1793halfrelics2.jpg
    1793halfrelics2.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Upvote 6

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome finds Ben! Congratulations on your first, second and third half cent and all the other finds!

testing123

Bronze Member
Mar 29, 2009
United States
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, TDI SL
What awesome finds, Ben. Absolutely incredible! Any 1790s U.S. minted coin is a real rarity to find and you got two in one hunt. My hat is off to you. A half cent, and a sterling spoon are on my want list.

Those are banner finds in my book.

BTW, did you ever get a date on your large cent from when you, Neil and I met up?

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
You were on fire today my friend. And if it wasn't for you walking allllll the way over there we probably wouldnt have found that little hot spot. Makes me wonder, how many more little hot spots left on that field are there?! Congrats on a Banner Day!

FoundInNC

Mar 20, 2012
Mebane, North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold and AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The sterling spoon dates to 1892! Also, congrats on that flowing hair. In any condition that is a GEM! Love the NJ copper as well, GREAT HUNT!

detectahead

Silver Member
Dec 1, 2007
Western, N.C.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600, Bandido UMax II, Fisher F5, Tiger Shark, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be a while before you beat that day! Congrats on a great one!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super day for you Ben! For some reason it appears that some sites harbor half cents and other sites only Large Cents, I have a few spots where mutilple Half Cent recoveries happen and then the vast majority only Large Cents!
Congrats on getting your first 1793 Half Cent, they sure are easy to recognize due to their size and thickness. My first one was laying on top of the ground in a plowed field, thought it was a button when I spotted it and ran the detector over it at the same time! I believe that was the only half cent found at that site out of about a dozen or more large cents and colonials.

Interesting that your timing on finding the cut NJ copper came in the same week I was going thru my survey notes on cut and holed NJ coppers and just got some fresh data on a cut one found by Wayne Shelby and then you find one. I have a cut one also, Wayne has one and I believe there are one or two more in the survey that are cut in half and one cut down to one quarter of the coin.

If you can take as good of photos of you that you can and email to me, there is always hope I can pick up something to get an ID, at least the year if lucky. From how strong the S is in PLURIBUS, and some of the Shield being visible, there stands a good chance of an ID............

So, you did good, Jim did good, what about Jim's Mom???

Don

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ben, Looks like there was enough showing on the shield side to make a positive ID on the reverse variety and odds on that the Obverse is a Very common variety. You cut NJ copper is a 1787 Maris 46-e variety, the 2nd most common one reported found in my survey, with Maris 43-d being the most common one.

Don

Attachments

• NJ Bens cut NJ compare 46-e.jpg
    NJ Bens cut NJ compare 46-e.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 124

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Mom found some buttons but no coppers. Shes a little bummed out but she'll have her day. Heck she usually finds the good stuff anyway! congrats again Ben. Your were the lucky man that day. And Don is a true artist. Great ID.

OP
OP
jerseyben

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Mom found some buttons but no coppers. Shes a little bummed out but she'll have her day. Heck she usually finds the good stuff anyway! congrats again Ben. Your were the lucky man that day. And Don is a true artist. Great ID.

Don is a copper wizard. Thanks for the ID!
What is killing me is knowing that under all that green is a pretty good amount of detail on the 1793...

flyinryan2

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2011
Winchester, VA.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, 8.5"x11" DD coil, Super Sniper coil, Garrett Ace 250, 10" x 14" DD EXcelerator coil, Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What an awesome hunt, congrats!!!

Nooberz

Nov 16, 2010
Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some great early coinage there. Awesome hunt!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great day Ben! Looks like you also got a Half Cent Trifecta!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread