Sweet Heart buckle found!

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
USED: Garrett ATX, Garrett AT Pro, Minelab E-Trac, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I went metal detecting yesterday after noon for about 30 min with my wife and found one thing and it made the trip
if anyone can tell me more about it, I would appreciate it...
MVC-003F.JPG
MVC-004F.JPG
I found it at 11 inches at the base of some steps going into a homeplace...
my wife's great great great grampaw was in the calvary and there is a pic of him and his unit on horses in front of this place....

Upvote 1

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Although it's often listed as a horse harness buckle, this heart-embossed item is really a buckle shield, made to fit on top of the actual buckle. Supposedly, the shield would keep the buckle from snagging, but it also served an ornamental purpose. The same design has been around since the 19th century, and in fact it's still being made today.

This item is sometimes misidentified as a "Confederate blanket roll buckle," an unfortunate attribution which found its way into print into an early edition Dr. Francis A. Lord's Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia, and into a later edition which reproduced the original pages without corrections. However, it was acknowledged in Vol. V, which was first published 'way back in 1989. Quoting from p. iv of Vol. V:

"Additions and Corrections to Volume IV, Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia.

"Page 27. Mr. Durham [Roger S. Durham, then curator of Fort Bliss Museum, Texas] identifies these blanket roll buckles as hardware from horse harness. He is very probably correct."

This mistaken ID was also debunked by Charles S. Harris, the author of Civil War Relics of the Western Campaigns, in an article titled "Hearts in Harness" in North South Trader's Civil War magazine, Vol. XXIV, #6 (Dec. 1997), p. 62-63, which was accompanied by several photographs showing identical buckle shields or covers in place on harness straps.

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find! I have seen one of these found, on a forum and it was IDed as a CW blanket roll buckle like PBK said. HH, Mike

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CURRENTLY USING: Minelab Go-Find 60, Nokta Fors CoRe, Macro Racer, Whites MXT All Pro, Fisher F19, Garrett AT Gold, Minelab CTX3030, XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am definitely going to have to pay attention to what i am considering junk now! ;D
I also found a similar piece of metal that has a womans head on it with flowing hair.. sorry the piece is at my mothers house so as soon as I can get over there I will post it...it was at about the same depth and is just a tad smaller....

Bigfoot Okie

Jan 20, 2007
Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Fisher, Whites, Tesoro
Wow!!! That is really a nice find. Guess you will have to take your wife more often. Were you making her dig or was she just watching? You will probably have to buy her a new Vaquero now. :D ;D
Congrats on a great find.
Jim

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure-Hunter said:
Wow!!! That is really a nice find. Guess you will have to take your wife more often. Were you making her dig or was she just watching? You will probably have to buy her a new Vaquero now. :D ;D
Congrats on a great find.
Jim
She said you should have been there... ;D

Danimal

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
Cuyahoga Falls, Ohio
Detector(s) used
duh...duh... DFX
PBK said:
Although it's often listed as a horse harness buckle, this heart-embossed item is really a buckle shield, made to fit on top of the actual buckle. Supposedly, the shield would keep the buckle from snagging, but it also served an ornamental purpose. The same design has been around since the 19th century, and in fact it's still being made today.

This item is sometimes misidentified as a "Confederate blanket roll buckle," an unfortunate attribution which found its way into print into an early edition Dr. Francis A. Lord's Civil War Collector's Encyclopedia, and into a later edition which reproduced the original pages without corrections. However, it was acknowledged in Vol. V, which was first published 'way back in 1989. Quoting from p. iv of Vol. V:

"Page 27. Mr. Durham [Roger S. Durham, then curator of Fort Bliss Museum, Texas] identifies these blanket roll buckles as hardware from horse harness. He is very probably correct."

This mistaken ID was also debunked by Charles S. Harris, the author of Civil War Relics of the Western Campaigns, in an article titled "Hearts in Harness" in North South Trader's Civil War magazine, Vol. XXIV, #6 (Dec. 1997), p. 62-63, which was accompanied by several photographs showing identical buckle shields or covers in place on harness straps.

so PBK...was the mis-identification in that it was a harness buckle and not a bedroll buckle? Is this indeed from the CW era?
I found one in Jamestown, PA and it is in NM condition.

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
Danimal said:
so PBK...was the mis-identification in that it was a harness buckle and not a bedroll buckle? Is this indeed from the CW era?
I found one in Jamestown, PA and it is in NM condition.

The error was in calling it a bedroll buckle. (Of course, that's not to say that nobody ever used it for that purpose, but such usage doesn't alter its intended function. A milkmaid can put a bucket on her head going out to the barn in the rain, but it's still a bucket, not a bonnet.)

CW camp finds suggest that some of these harness buckle shields were in use at that time. However, they were a civilian item, not military issue. There is generally no direct evidence (mfgr.'s marks, etc.) which can be used to prove that they are CW or postwar. They were still widely used in the early 1900's, and they can even be purchased new in some sizes today.

Mona Lisa

Gold Member
Jan 13, 2005
Great Falls, Montana
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & a Sunray probe
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That is a great find, Gone. I would love to find one of those. :o

I think those buckles are still being made today.

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Whatever the ID Gone.....Congrat's,nice find...

flakefinder

Bronze Member
Jul 21, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
2 Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for the info because I had no Idea what it was, Thanks and Good Hunting...

OP
OP
Gonehunting

Gonehunting

Bronze Member
Jan 1, 2007
Oklahoma
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the info because I had no Idea what it was, Thanks and Good Hunting...
I do know that the design has been used up till the 1950's maybe even later. I did some research when it was first found and that it was considered a buckle protector. Although there may have been some in use during the civil war. My wife's gggrandfather was in service during the indian wars, so I guess it would have to be collected with other relics to decide when exactly that particular bp was in use.. hope that helps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread