1 hour 40 minute hunt

Were your holes filling in with water too? I thought it was going to be warmer out today but it was at least good enough for detecting and digging. Congrats on your finds OZ! 15 pull tabs?? Sounds like you are in the right area ;)

Brett said:
Were your holes filling in with water too? I thought it was going to be warmer out today but it was at least good enough for detecting and digging. Congrats on your finds OZ! 15 pull tabs?? Sounds like you are in the right area ;)
No water filled holes as i was on the higher ground (a whopping 6'' pr so from the rest of the park grading). I could have chose to have water fill my holes very easily :P

Nothing like digging up a 70 style pull tab 6'' down in mud. Even found two in one hole LOL

oz_il said:
Even found two in one hole LOL

My record is 6 in one hole, up against a tree... must have been slammin' a 6'er in the afternoon watchin' the ball game. I figured for every 500 pop tops and/or pull tabs you dig, you get a gold ring though. Every 100 you get a nickel, if you are lucky it's a buffalo or a V-nickel. If only when the odds were not in our favor we could go to the prize counter and cash those pull tabs in! LOL.

Brett said:
My record is 6 in one hole, up against a tree... must have been slammin' a 6'er in the afternoon watchin' the ball game. I figured for every 500 pop tops and/or pull tabs you dig, you get a gold ring though. Every 100 you get a nickel, if you are lucky it's a buffalo or a V-nickel. If only when the odds were not in our favor we could go to the prize counter and cash those pull tabs in! LOL.
Six in one hole, not too shabby. At a relatives cottage in MI, I've found over a dozen zip tops (late 60 style pull tabs) in a small area. Plenty of partying, but alas no silver ;0(

I'm keeping track of my pull tabs I plug up. 79 so far - 46 of the 70's style, 33 of the 'newbies'. 17 nickels to boot. But no, no gold rings :0)

oz_il said:
Brett said:
Six in one hole, not too shabby. At a relatives cottage in MI, I've found over a dozen zip tops (late 60 style pull tabs) in a small area. Plenty of partying, but alas no silver ;0(

I'm keeping track of my pull tabs I plug up. 79 so far - 46 of the 70's style, 33 of the 'newbies'. 17 nickels to boot. But no, no gold rings :0)
I'll be interested to follow you stats. If you get enough of those POP TOPS you can build one of these:
http://fineartsfeedbag.com/2008/12/09/recycled-aluminum-in-design-and-art/
Good amount of nickels so far with a fairly low number of PULL TABS and POP TOPS. How many varieties of the pull tabs are there?

Brett said:
I'll be interested to follow you stats. If you get enough of those POP TOPS you can build one of these:
http://fineartsfeedbag.com/2008/12/09/recycled-aluminum-in-design-and-art/
Good amount of nickels so far with a fairly low number of PULL TABS and POP TOPS. How many varieties of the pull tabs are there?
My nickle to pull tab won't be a wide swing as I hit a lot of school yards - now if I hit forest preserves then it will be a trillion pull tabs to a nickel!

Zip-Top history. Silver coins were still being minted then :0)

Oz, I remember on the Ace, anything in the nickel range would sound off like a nickel, same tone and id. One of these days, you can try out my M6, it might change the way you feel about digging nickels :wink: For the most part, I can tell if an object is a nickel or a pull tab or a ball of foil or can slaw. Of course, in the woods, I dig anything like that because you just never know. I definitely dig more nickels in the woods than I do at parks, for sure. Good luck with your hunts.

Joe

twistidd said:
Oz, I remember on the Ace, anything in the nickel range would sound off like a nickel, same tone and id. One of these days, you can try out my M6, it might change the way you feel about digging nickels :wink: For the most part, I can tell if an object is a nickel or a pull tab or a ball of foil or can slaw. Of course, in the woods, I dig anything like that because you just never know. I definitely dig more nickels in the woods than I do at parks, for sure. Good luck with your hunts.

Joe
Actually I have a M6 and on planning on sending it back to White's to have them look it over then dump it. POS - so many false signals it is a joke. I tried and tried and tried. I assume it is a hosed unit? We shall see.

The M6 a POS? I wonder if yours was constructed properly. Try it out after you get it back From White's, maybe there was a flaw. Do you ground balance? I actually bought the M6 as an upgrade from the Ace and I am sure glad I did...I went from almost never finding silver anywhere, to digging Barber dimes at 10 inches, a DEEP buff that I'm still not too sure how I got it, and a lot of other silver coins and other old coins. I can easily differentiate nickels from pulltabs, like I mentioned earlier, and though it isn't perfect (no machine is), it fits me like a glove, especially in the woods. I kinda got tired of the Ace's tones, and lack of serious depth. I do like it, though, and still use it from time to time, mostly in tot lots, where it actually does better than the M6 because it is very hot on surface-to-4 inch targets, as you know.

If you are still disillusioned with the M6 after you get it back, pick up an E-Trac or SE...if you wanna go deep.

Good luck! You should come up on the north side here sometime with us.

Joe

twistidd said:
The M6 a POS? I wonder if yours was constructed properly. Try it out after you get it back From White's, maybe there was a flaw. Do you ground balance?
Joe
I'm thinking a factory problem myself. Tried it side by side with the Ace and the ace outperformed it to no end. Too many false signals - dimes at 4'' where there was no metal at all (Ace never read anything) same with nickels and quarters. Strong shallow readings but no metal of any kind existed. Never got deeper than 6'' either.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions

Back