What's new

1 in 25000 nickels

goldencoin

Gold Member
Joined
Sep 27, 2005
Messages
5,669
Reaction score
452
Golden Thread
0
Location
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX & Beach Hunter ID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's the stat wikipedia gives for buffalo nickels in circulation. So, I went into my records and found that, through $11,100, I found 39 buffalo nickels (the real number is 130, but I lost some records) which works out to 1 in 5692. It's funny how they can be off by a factor of four, but I don't complain :)

HH
-GC
 
Upvote 0
Wikipedia also says that odds of finding a Wheat are 1 in 390. Silver dimes are 1 in 400. Something's wrong there.
 
1 in 400 silver dimes is laughable, 1 in 390 seems a little high, but certainly in range...

HH
-GC
 
For me this year... buffalos have been 1 in 18000 and when I look back at last year it was 1 in 13000. and in 2008...1 in 14000 (obviously I rounded off, but still only off by a factor less than 2)

Really a lot depends on where you are in the country as some areas are easily better than others.

Also, I agree that the wheat # number seems high and the dime number is way low (at least compared to my numbers)
 
I'm curious as to how they came up with those #s.
 
I'm averaging about 1 Rosie dime per 1,250...just over 2 per box this year. Mercs are about 1 per 25,000...

I'm sure this can vary by region...
 
mountainman 2 said:
I'm curious as to how they came up with those #s.

Remember, it is Wikipedia. Generally a good information source, but the data there can be edited.......by anyone. Take any info from there with a "grain of salt".

That's (one reason) why school teachers don't let students use it a reference source.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom