What's new

10,000th Wheat/5,000th Canadian

Rosco53

Hero Member
Joined
Mar 17, 2018
Messages
720
Reaction score
1,749
Golden Thread
0
Location
Bryant, WI
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV (hobby lobby 40% off ;-) )
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, haven't been finding much post-worthy, but did just hit 2 milestones in the same bag. My 10,000th wheat, followed shortly after by my 5,000th Canadian (in approximately 2,194,000 cents searched).

S20200109_0001.webpS20200109_0002.webp
#10,000
I average 23 wheats per bag, median of 18 though. 1/219.4 cents searched, or about 0.45% of my cents.

S20200109_0003.webpS20200109_0004.webp
#5,000
I average 11 Canadians per bag. 0.23% of my cents are Canadian. Of the 5,000, I have pulled just over 100 George VI's, and 7 of these beauties:
S20200109_0005.webpS20200109_0006.webp


Few other random finds from recent bags:
S20200109_0007.webpS20200109_0008.webp
Poland

S20200109_0009.webpS20200109_0010.webp
Panama, country's 50th anniversary

S20200109_0011.webpS20200109_0012.webp
Another from Barbados

These two look like possible cracked dies, though could just be PMD
S20200109_0013.webpS20200109_0014.webp

And lastly this one, thought it was a proof at first, then flipped it and saw the D...
S20200109_0015.webpS20200109_0016.webp
 
Upvote 0
I am loving them wheats. I think I will try to album my Canadians here pretty soon to see what I still need. Congrats on some great finds.
 
Impressive totals! What are your plans for your tonnage?
 
Impressive totals! What are your plans for your tonnage?

No plan, just keep chugging along, find out what the next coin is, hope for something neat...
 
Huge congratulations on the 10K wheat milestone! :wav:

I wonder if others have achieved such a feat. Onward and upward...
 
The 71 D looks like a lamination error to me, and a fairly major one at that. Nice find!
 
Welcome to the 10,000 wheat club. Our dues are pretty cheap, and meetings haven't been set yet, but we are a hard to join club anyway. :-)


"I average 23 wheats per bag" Wow. I averaged 7.1 per box a few years ago, down from 10.4 a box a few years before that and ever decreasing. That, plus copper prices down, so I stopped. Still have my Ryedale though if I decide to pick it up again. :-) I bet it is less than 7 though if i did it now. Great ratios. Worth continuing until that number drops significantly. :-)
 
Last edited:
Holy moly that's really good
 
This shows the value of patience and persistence. Congrats on the milestone. How did you know you had reached it? (keeping a spreadsheet?)
 
"How did you know you had reached it? (keeping a spreadsheet?)"

(You didn't ask me, but I'll answer because I think my answer is semi relevant.)

Don't we all? I think I spend half as much time on the spreadsheets as I do on the sorting sometimes. HA. Can tell you not only how many wheaties and halves and silver nickels, etc I have, but how many of every single year and mintmark. Plus how many were found each year, and even with the wheaties how many were found per box average for each year.

I can see things from even the distant past though, with good accuracy. Oh, some examples. On cents.

In 2012 I found 9.190 wheats per box. 726 to be exact.
I searched 79 boxes, the first time I was under 100 boxes for the year, as my ratios were dropping so my amounts searched were too. My total copper content was 17.722% of the cents searched (35,000 copper pennies). I found 1 indian head that year and 1 steel penny. I also found lots of Canadian but didn't count them. I sold the 35,000 coppers for 1.8 cents per penny, making $280 in profit on the cents not worth keeping, which isn't bad for basically rejects. My best find of the year was a 1912S, a nice low mintage date. See? Spreadsheets keep memories forever. :-)
 
"How did you know you had reached it? (keeping a spreadsheet?)"

(You didn't ask me, but I'll answer because I think my answer is semi relevant.)

Don't we all? I think I spend half as much time on the spreadsheets as I do on the sorting sometimes. HA. Can tell you not only how many wheaties and halves and silver nickels, etc I have, but how many of every single year and mintmark. Plus how many were found each year, and even with the wheaties how many were found per box average for each year.

I can see things from even the distant past though, with good accuracy. Oh, some examples. On cents.

In 2012 I found 9.190 wheats per box. 726 to be exact.
I searched 79 boxes, the first time I was under 100 boxes for the year, as my ratios were dropping so my amounts searched were too. My total copper content was 17.722% of the cents searched (35,000 copper pennies). I found 1 indian head that year and 1 steel penny. I also found lots of Canadian but didn't count them. I sold the 35,000 coppers for 1.8 cents per penny, making $280 in profit on the cents not worth keeping, which isn't bad for basically rejects. My best find of the year was a 1912S, a nice low mintage date. See? Spreadsheets keep memories forever. :-)

So yeah...I'm not that exact. I have a spreadsheet for each denomination. Cents I track Wheats, Canadians, Indians and "other"- errors, proofs, foreign, counterstamped, etc. Nickels I track war, buffalo, liberty, proof, foreign, dates, other (errors, don't really look for those much anymore but just in case). Dimes are silver, barber (fingers crossed), foreign, and other. Quarters are Silver, foreign, dates, other. Halves I just wrote what I had since I've only searched a bag and 5 rolls... At some point i need to combine them all into one document, "standardize" it to reflect what I search for now (as my parameters have changed since the first 8 rolls of cents).
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom