what size one 001.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 661
  • what size two 001.jpg
    what size two 001.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 642

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
It appears to be a mezuzah. There are countless variations, but basically it's a small tube pendant containing a bit of parchment with a scripture text. The same word applies to the much larger case which is attached to the doorpost of a Jewish home. Here's an example:

Attachments

• mezuzah-pendant.jpg
    mezuzah-pendant.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 604
Upvote 0

mountainplayer

Oct 10, 2006
Way Northern California
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & Minelab EX2
Way to go, PBK! I picture you as a bit of a mad scientist, sitting at a computer desk surrounded on one side by high shelves filled with old leather bound books (dusty, of course) and the other side by a bank of liquid nitrogen cooled Cray supercomputers. Every so often, you let out a "Eureka, I've found it!".

MP

Upvote 0

PBK

Gold Member
May 25, 2005
mountainplayer said:
Way to go, PBK! I picture you as a bit of a mad scientist, sitting at a computer desk surrounded on one side by high shelves filled with old leather bound books (dusty, of course) and the other side by a bank of liquid nitrogen cooled Cray supercomputers. Every so often, you let out a "Eureka, I've found it!".

MP

LOL :D If there's a compliment in there somewhere, MP, it's entirely unwarranted... but I'll take it!

Well, a touch of madness perhaps. ::) (Okay, the deluxe edition with all the options.)

However, I'm about as scientific as Gabby Hayes.

Old books? Got 'em. "Many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore," though none of those leatherbound beauties.

Dust? Gathering it by the bale. Mildew, too. Maybe even a little lichen.

As for the supercooled Crays... shucks, I'm a regular Luddite. All of this high-tech stuff is 'way beyond me. As confessed in another thread, I have to mail my flashlights back to the factory to change the batteries.

"Eureka!"? More like <yawn>. Although in my youth I occasionally let rip a hearty Rebel "Yeeeeee-hawwwww!"

All the best,
PBK

Upvote 0
S

stefen

I am suprised that it was in company with a Masonic fob. A Mezuzah is never used for jewelry or decorative purposes especially by the more strict sects that were from the period of the mid 1800's.

Recommend taking it to a local Synagogue and ask for a Rabbi for identification.

What you are seeing is a portion of a Mezuzah Parchment scroll that is affixed to the doorways of Jewish homes. Its meant to protect the home from any harm and has been in use since the days of Moses.

Each Parchment is hand written in Hebrew by a Soffer (Scribe) in Israel according to Jewish Law and custom.

The Mezuzah case may be made from almost any material, but typically silver or gold.

Upvote 0

Ed-NH

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
That's cool, it's unbelievable what we find.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread