What's new

$1100 SEARCHED 02-05-08....(franklin proof found!)

theeteetotaler

Jr. Member
Joined
Jan 6, 2008
Messages
78
Reaction score
0
Golden Thread
0
....9 40%ers, 1 '64, 1 44 cull walker and three bens. one of the bens is a 1953 proof, suuuuuper shinnnny, correct me if i'm wrong but isn't this like a $200 coin??
 
Upvote 0
Ok take a pic... Lets see it!!!
HH
Cat
 
Just because it's super shiny doesn't necessarily mean it's a proof. It could be cleaned to make it very shiny. The proof would have a highly distinctive mirror background. I have found one Franklin proof, a 1962, and it is unmistakably proof. I think the only circulation the one I found saw was from being dumped in a coin counter, bagged, shipped, rerolled and discovered by me. Post a picture and maybe with a few more people's perspectives you can get a definite determination.
 
Here is a picture of a 53 proof on Ebay for comparison.
 

Attachments

  • ScreenHunter_58.webp
    ScreenHunter_58.webp
    17.9 KB · Views: 335
I found a 1960 Franklin Proof Once. Found it in a box with a 1964 Proof and about 10 other proofs.

First, look at the edge. A proof has a very distinct, complete edge that is rarely seen on circulation strikes.

Second, high quality scans will help other tell if yours is polished (or worse plated) or if it's proof quality.
 
Pic please, I can't even sniff a 53 philly. Thanks
 
Doesn't a Franklin proof have a "frosted-looking" head and bell? If it appears frosted and the background shiny, then it's a proof I would think.
 
Ben proofs are hard to come by and probably not worth much more than a regular Ben if it was found in circulation.
Congrats either way!
 
every pic i take of this coin just looks like a silver glob. so until i figure out how to take good coin pictures i won't bother posting anything. that said, its still a nice coin, while it doesn't have the cameo effect i see on some proofs it still has a mirrored look to it, and i don't think its been cleaned. and as you stated txtim, i found it in circ and its definitely not pristine any longer. if anyone has tips on how to take a good coin picture i'd love to hear 'em.
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom