12 lb cannon ball?

Georgivs

May 16, 2018
Athens Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garret AT pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this ~4.5 inch ~12 lb spherical chunk of iron in my dads woods near Athens GA. The property was a mule farm on the seaboard rail line around the time of the civil war and there were no battles / fighting in the area that I know of. It has an odd spherical hole that I drilled about 1/8" into to see if there may have been a plug (you can see in the 2nd pic where I drilled into the bottom of the hole) judging from the hardness its cast iron.

20180324_185910.jpg

2018051695132604-1.jpg

Cannon ball?
Ball from ball and chain?
Half a barbell weight?

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Military installations typically have ordinance disposal units, unless they're just logistical bases. The one at Fort Belvoir, in Northern, Va, has been very cooperative over the years in defusing antique ordinance and removing old dynamite found on farms etc. I would presume it's loaded and check with a professional.

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A friend of mine showed me a Hotchkiss round he found one time. It was about 2 feet down in the hard ground and apparently hadn't had any powder in it. The primer had gone off and completely shattered the iron casing. Not this black duck says I!

Upvote 0

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I vote cannon ball. 12lb. Oh yea.Congrats

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread