Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hunt #3 at my paddle in site . It was a crazy fun day ! I was in my Kayak at 7:10 this morn. On my paddle in I saw 3 harbor seals more Loons and shitpoke's . I was Geared up by 8;10 . I had done quite a bit of exploring on my last two visits to the site .Both of those hunts were really only half day hunts . I had a pretty good Idea of the spots I wanted to concentrate on today . I had all day to hunt today so I was hoping to make the best of it . 20 mins. into the hunt with not a coin to show yet. I get a good silver signal . 6 ins. down I pull out a piece of jug pottery . Just underneath this I see a disc on edge .I check it out Barber Quarter :headbang: I check the whole . Still singing :hello2: I was thinking hoard . Pinpointer yeah ! Another Barber Quarter . Pinpointer Yeah another Barber Quarter:icon_thumright: . That was it ! Still it was a nice spill to start my finds .Later >>> Lone Indian , Lone Barber dime , Lone Seated dime , then a two coin spill. A Barber dime and an Indian. A V nickel came next. Then another Barber dime :headbang: Time for lunch ! I took a pic of my finds at lunch and was pretty excited . I had seven silvers and had a chance to break 10 silvers in one Day . Something i had never acomplished before . Excepting my two Cache find days of course :laughing7: . The Afternoon started slow as I had changed locations to a different Foundation area . I was starting to second guess my move even though I had popped a couple scattered Indian Heads. Then I get a good hit and pulled another Barber Quarter . :hello2:. I used this find like a tree and made expanding concentric passes . 10 feet away i get a good hit. Talk about a nice pocket spill 8-) Two Victoria 25 cents . A barber quarter . A Victoria dime , a Seated dime , 3 V nickels and 1 Indian Head . I was at Thirteen silvers :headbang:. I did not want to end with 13 NOOO ! Next I get a big hit and pull The Colonial Shoe Buckle ! I am shocked :dontknow: In all three of my last hunts all my finds have been Civil war period and later . No large cents ECT...:icon_scratch: Well it gives me hope to find earlier coins anyways . Another Indian , A Crown shaped pin, and finally a good silver signal ! Another Barber Dime :hello2: I ended up At 14 silvers :headbang: . 6 Indian Head Cents , 4 V nickels, two Wheaties ,and a few relics ! Like I said I had a crazy Fun day ! First Pic is My lunch time finds PIC. Second Pic Is My insitu. Afternoon Coin spill ! Thanks for looking and happy treasure hunting to all ! MaineRelic

Attachments

• IMG_0484-001.JPG
    IMG_0484-001.JPG
    126.8 KB · Views: 153
  • IMG_0485-001.JPG
    IMG_0485-001.JPG
    167.5 KB · Views: 159
  • IMG_0090-001.JPG
    IMG_0090-001.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0097-001.JPG
    IMG_0097-001.JPG
    37.7 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0091-001.JPG
    IMG_0091-001.JPG
    70 KB · Views: 185
  • IMG_0092-001.JPG
    IMG_0092-001.JPG
    60.1 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0095-001.JPG
    IMG_0095-001.JPG
    54.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0096-001.JPG
    IMG_0096-001.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 142
Upvote 30

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep, I haven't heard that name since I was a kid growing up on Mount Desert Island!

QUOTE=Back-of-the-boat;4265737]Fantastic finds but I have to ask what is a shitpoke???? LOL

"Shitpoke" is an old Maine term for a sea duck, or scoter, of which they have several varieties up and down the coast. They eat small fish and crustaceans, and their flesh tastes like the bottom of a bird cage. Back in the day, if it wasnt good to eat, it was deemed worthless, and therefore usually was assigned a name alluding to such. Years ago, I was duck hunting and shot one by mistake. I'm very ethical when I am hunting or fishing, so I took it home and dressed it out. It stunk like a package of bad chicken breasts (we've all had one). I soaked it in garlic, chili paste, sesame oil, and soy for a few days and grilled it. Only then was it edible.[/QUOTE]

Thank You I am a west coaster so hadn't heard that. I was almost afraid to ask.LOL

Garrett424

Silver Member
Jun 20, 2014
Granite, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Omega 8000
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Deteknix XPointer,
Fiskar's Big Grip Digger & my old Army Trench shovel for the tough jobs
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Excellent bunch of finds.
I imagine the water was pretty cold eh??

I give up on my canoeing and kayaking when it gets this cold. My hats off to you for braving the icy waters.

Congrats on a nice bunch of finds.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, I'm pretty sure I can't say I've had that many silver in a day - CONGRATS!

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a great silver day MR. Days like that are few and far between anymore.

goldbill

May 6, 2009
Maine
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
whites v3 deus v4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fantastic dream hunt Mainerelic.Your efforts and posts INSPIRE. I want to say to everyone else that I consider Mainerelic a friend and have hunted with him in the past. That said............. 14 OLD SILVER coins in a "cache" would be worthy of a banner consideration. I think 14 OLD SILVER coins found over a single day hunt would be even more so!!!!!!!!!! I don't know if I could keep hunting after 6 or 8 or 10.. Outstanding job M.R. My vote is in Goldbill

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Man, you are on the ball! Talk about a boatload of great finds.;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread