14K Signet Ringed marked "Tiffany"--opinions on marks? Updated

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a little lot of jewelry including some gold. I didn't notice the "Tiffany" mark on this one until I got it home. The mark doesn't look real to me, but I haven't really studied it. What do you think of these markings?
Fake or real?

Updated: the mark next to the 14 appears to be a Larter and Sons mark; apparently, they manufactured pieces for Tiffany?
IMG_0002-1_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0007-1_edited-1.jpg
IMG_0010-1_edited-1.jpg

The Latin spero meliora on the front means "I aspire to better things"

Last edited:

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s rather splendid. The marks look good to me, and Larter & Sons did indeed make for Tiffanyā€¦ especially cufflinks, signet rings and other gentlemensā€™ jewellery. I would think this is from the 1950s plus or minus a decade and potentially rather valuable. Iā€™ve seen them go for $1,000 or more, and (if you want to sell it) playing up the description for the family name it represents might narrow the target market but actually increase the sale price to an interested party. Iā€™m sure itā€™s for the ā€˜Loweā€™ family.

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~villandra/LoweCrests.html

Although I donā€™t think it appears in an armorial register in exactly that form, it does seem to borrow the motto, the crest and the armorial charges used by various branches of the family, although not necessarily in that combination. Probably someone from the family has done some research and combined the elements they found. Note that the heraldic convention in black-and-white illustrations or other non-coloured representation is for colours (stains) to be represented by patterns. Red (gules) is represented by parallel vertical lines, so the two wolves passant on the armorial are on a red field as for some versions of the Worcestershire branch of the Lowe family.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

HistoryTeacher

Mar 9, 2017
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thatā€™s rather splendid. The marks look good to me, and Larter & Sons did indeed make for Tiffanyā€¦ especially cufflinks, signet rings and other gentlemensā€™ jewellery. I would think this is from the 1950s plus or minus a decade and potentially rather valuable. Iā€™ve seen them go for $1,000 or more, and (if you want to sell it) playing up the description for the family name it represents might narrow the target market but actually increase the sale price to an interested party. Iā€™m sure itā€™s for the ā€˜Loweā€™ family.

https://sites.rootsweb.com/~villandra/LoweCrests.html

Although I donā€™t think it appears in an armorial register in exactly that form, it does seem to borrow the motto, the crest and the armorial charges used by various branches of the family, although not necessarily in that combination. Probably someone from the family has done some research and combined the elements they found. Note that the heraldic convention in black-and-white illustrations or other non-coloured representation is for colours (stains) to be represented by patterns. Red (gules) is represented by parallel vertical lines, so the two wolves passant on the armorial are on a red field as for some versions of the Worcestershire branch of the Lowe family.
Thanks Red-Coat for the information. I have zero experience with real Tiffany pieces, so I am thrilled you think it looks good. Hopefully this will be my little Christmas miracle. Thanks again for your input!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Spero mel ora" means "In Hope of Better Things"

spero meliora

The motto of the Lowe family is indeed "ā€œSpero Melioraā€.

"Speroā€ is the first person singular active for the verb to ā€œApsireā€, ā€œDesireā€ or ā€œHopeā€, and ā€œMelioraā€ means "to improveā€ or ā€œto make betterā€.

So, the literal Latin to English translation of the motto is ā€œI hope for better [things]ā€. In a modern context, it is given the more emphatic meaning, but liberal translation: "Aspire to greater thingsā€.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread