14K Watches, Bulova and More What am I missing?

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
Posted 3 watch lots on Ebay this week. A lot of Bulova watches, a lot of vintage watches, all with a 14k case, and another watch in a separate auction. Here is my question, I received an offer for 375.00 for a 3 lots. I knew I had a little value here....am I missing something major? a couple of pics posted

Attachments

• DSCN6773 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN6773 (Medium).JPG
    85.4 KB · Views: 1,073
  • DSCN6760 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN6760 (Medium).JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 947
  • DSCN6765 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN6765 (Medium).JPG
    139.4 KB · Views: 913

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm assuming you want to know if $375 is a good offer. I don't know anything about the watches in any of your listings and strongly suspect the majority of the value is in the 14K cases. Without an accurate weight on the cases there is no real way to tell if the offer is fair or not. I'd guess-timate the weight of the cases as being somewhere between 15-30 grams with a melt value of approximately $33/gram. If I had these lots I'd sell the 14k cases to my regular gold guy & lump the rest, including the movements from the gold watches, into one lot.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdxample said:
Posted 3 watch lots on Ebay this week. A lot of Bulova watches, a lot of vintage watches, all with a 14k case, and another watch in a separate auction. Here is my question, I received an offer for 375.00 for a 3 lots. I knew I had a little value here....am I missing something major? a couple of pics posted, I can't link to Ebay but username is abba21
Is the marking only 14K or do they say 1/20 14K GF?
They look a lot like some of the watches I bought last week only mine are gold filled (GF)

I don't know if you can pull the auction on the ladies watches because it already has one bid. You still have 5 more days, the price could go up.
If I were you I would weigh the lot (in grams) and post that (and say that weight includes the bands and the guts). Since you have a bid I do not know if you can change the listing. But, I can ask a question and you can add that at the bottom. I can also ask the gold filled question and you can say "no, it is marked 14K only"

OP
OP
bdxample

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
There is no doubt that these are marked 14k and not GF (triple checked). Weight of actual cases is somewhere between 7 to 10 grams.
The potential buyer buys and sells a lot of watches, leading me to believe that they see something beyond the gold.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
Well if they are trying to get you to sell em of ebay, well usually a fraud.

The Etrna-matic is a good brand. Gold is good, Yet poor photos in that one. need photos of the gold markings. The Bulova one may have a good movement in the early one that is used with military version of the Bulova watch.

It of course might just be some one hoping to get em cheaper than the auction will go for.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdxample said:
There is no doubt that these are marked 14k and not GF (triple checked). Weight of actual cases is somewhere between 7 to 10 grams.
The potential buyer buys and sells a lot of watches, leading me to believe that they see something beyond the gold.
Do they work? If they are actual 14k then the marks should be photographed also. I have never ended an auction early.

bowhunter543

Oct 15, 2011
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I say up front that I know nothing about watches. That being said I do sell a lot on Ebay and I have been getting a lot of offers to end auctions and sell to these people. Number one that is against Ebay rules and if you are caught, you are off Ebay. Also most of the offers are low ball so I just say no the auction will continue.
Just my 2 cents worth.

OP
OP
bdxample

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
I have never ended an auction early and probably won't this time. If I was to take the offer, i would set up a private listing through Ebay.
Taking a pic of the markings is a great idea...must be getting rusty in my old age. The 14k watches don't work and probably never will, a couple of the bulova ones work and the Eterna does.
Thanks for the advice and reminding me to put pics of markings in auction...really should have done that to begin with.

lostcauses

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2008
bdxample said:
I have never ended an auction early and probably won't this time. If I was to take the offer, i would set up a private listing through Ebay.
Taking a pic of the markings is a great idea...must be getting rusty in my old age. The 14k watches don't work and probably never will, a couple of the bulova ones work and the Eterna does.
Thanks for the advice and reminding me to put pics of markings in auction...really should have done that to begin with.

On the Bulovas, men, they have movement numbers inside the case on the movement. people will look for specific movements to fix their watches with. Also if not marked out side of the case, then the case may be marked on the inside.

Photos of the movements is always usefull if you have the tools and skills to remove the backs.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
maybe my math is wrong:

.58 (14k) x (about 8grams x 4 watches) x $1700 (price gold roughly rounded off) = about a $1000? And you'll take under $400 including the bulovas.

I dunno...

OP
OP
bdxample

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
scaupus said:
maybe my math is wrong:

.58 (14k) x (about 8grams x 4 watches) x $1700 (price gold roughly rounded off) = about a $1000? And you'll take under $400 including the bulovas.

I dunno...

the math is right, the figures are incorrect. If we are using grams to calculate weight, then we need to use the price in grams to complete the calculation, not the price in ounces.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009

Are you guessing the weight or did you put them on the scale? Obviously you have the watches in hand & should have a better idea of the weight than I do. However, I have scrapped several of those type watches & it looks like there should be at least 15 grams in the cases.

OP
OP
bdxample

bdxample

Mar 2, 2007
Panama City Florida
I was able to accurately weigh 3 of the 4 cases equaling 7 grams...the other case weight was difficult to weigh with a case insert...guessing that one is no more than 3 grams

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdxample said:
I was able to accurately weigh 3 of the 4 cases equaling 7 grams...the other case weight was difficult to weigh with a case insert...guessing that one is no more than 3 grams

That makes 10 grams and gold at $1700 your batch is worth =/- $319

so the orig $375 is a good offer but gold dropped today, it was close to 1800

Minrelica

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2010
Minnesota
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ 800, Minelab SE PRO, Minelab X-Terra Pro & 14 other machines
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bdxample said:

Always be a thorough as possible with the photos. You have to put the item in the buyers hand with them so show markings, movement when possible and all stamps.

I recently listed these two Bulova's for a dealer friend and they went for $112 to a bidder in Thailand. One 17 Jewel and one 15 Jewel. He pretty much got them for pennies so...

Attachments

• bulova.jpg
    bulova.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 413

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread