Medway Ohio
Detector(s) used
Pops old one
Garrett Ace 400
Bounty Hunter
Sharp Shooter II
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I also wondered the same thing. i'm currently using a 8" coil on the beach parks here as we have so many.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What detector?

I use 15" coils on my excals II hunting beaches and hunt in reverse discrimination, I hit targets at 20 inches.

Last edited:

LawrencetheMDer

Feb 22, 2014
Ohio and Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab CTX3030 w 11" and 17" DD coils,
Minelab Excalibur II w 10" coil, Equinox 800 (4) w 11" and 15" coils,
Troy Shadow x2 w 7" coil, Pointers; Garrett Carrot, Pro Find 35,
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I work w the Equinox 800 15" coil (just bought another 800 w FREE 15" coil last night - see ad on TreasureNet) and CTX 3030 17" coil in water and dry sand. I also studied finds based on coil size (standard vs 15-17") and have found the Equinox 15" coil to find about 10-11% more targets than the standard 11-12" coils. Although the larger coils do go deeper, the main advantage is coverage area. However, in general, you can jack up sensitivity more w the small coils as the larger coils are inherently more noisy. In the gulf, I often run the standard coils at around 22-24, the 15" runs around 19-23. Be careful w the ears on the 15" Equinox coil as I broke mine when I added a carbon fiber shaft. BTW, if you break your coil ears (11 or 15") you can now buy a Minelab coil support to extend the coils life.

OP
OP
S

Slimpickins

Feb 16, 2014
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites Dual Field PI
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the Info. I'll save up for the Coiltek 15". I saw a comparison on Utube of Minelab Vs Coiltek and the Coiltek has reinforced ears maybe less apt to break. I suppose a different rod with counter weights would help. On many days the beaches are built up due to sand movement and any advantage with increased depth would be welcomed. Last year was lean in the finds and my waterproof Nox 800 drowned in 12" water. I got it replaced but I think I'll not do that again and instead get a Pulse Dive 8" coil for snorkeling. I grew up 70+ miles North of Cape Cod where I currently reside. The beaches up North had all sand out to and beyond neck deep. Down here on Nantucket Sound , many beaches have lots of sea grass in between stretches of sand and large patches of small shells making utilizing a scoop difficult or impossible. It is at these beaches that I will use the Pulse Dive while snorkeling It should be a lot of fun

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have and use both the 12 X 15 Minelab coil and the Coiltek 15" coil for my Equinox 800. I find the Coiltek goes slightly deeper with a bit less accuracy on pin pointing. It's also heavier than the Minelab coil. I mostly use the 12 X 15 unless I need that extra depth.

FloridaSon

Sep 29, 2018
Between Half Reale Beach and Nuestra Seflora de La
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Thanks for the Info. I'll save up for the Coiltek 15". I saw a comparison on Utube of Minelab Vs Coiltek and the Coiltek has reinforced ears maybe less apt to break. I suppose a different rod with counter weights would help. On many days the beaches are built up due to sand movement and any advantage with increased depth would be welcomed. Last year was lean in the finds and my waterproof Nox 800 drowned in 12" water. I got it replaced but I think I'll not do that again and instead get a Pulse Dive 8" coil for snorkeling. I grew up 70+ miles North of Cape Cod where I currently reside. The beaches up North had all sand out to and beyond neck deep. Down here on Nantucket Sound , many beaches have lots of sea grass in between stretches of sand and large patches of small shells making utilizing a scoop difficult or impossible. It is at these beaches that I will use the Pulse Dive while snorkeling It should be a lot of fun
Latest update: For Sale……….Found out today it is sensitive on sloping beaches and does not match the way I hunt. Haha

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread