Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Lincoln offered the South a compromise. If the Confederate States returned to the Union he would see a bill was passed that would preserve slavery in the South.

From his first insurance address

******Confederate Heritage Fund
**************P. O. Box 771
****Andalusia, Alabama 36420

Abraham Lincoln Endorses*
Permanent Slavery Amendment
WASHINGTON (CHF) *- *In his first Inaugural Speech, on March*
4, 1861, President Abraham Lincoln approved a Constitutional*
Amendment that would guarantee permanent slavery in the*
United States.

Lincoln stated in first Inaugural speech,

"I understand a proposed amendment to the Constitution has*
passed Congress, to the effect that the Federal Government*
shall never interfere with the domestic institutions of the States,*
including that of persons held to service. *Holding such a*
provision to now be implied constitutional law, I have no*
objection to its being made express and irrevocable."

President Lincoln even supported a thirteenth amendment then passed by Congress that would guarantee slavery in all the existing slave states.

The*Permanent Slavery Amendment that Lincoln endorsed was*
passed on March 2, 1861 by a vote of over 66% of both*Houses of the U. S. Congress, after most Southern States had withdrawn from the United States and had formed their own*nation, the Confederate States of America.

If ratified by 3/4 of the States, this Northern sponsored*Constitutional Amendment would prevent the federal*government from ever abolishing or interfering with slavery in any State in the United States.

If the Southern States wanted slavery protected forever, then all*
they would have to do is return to the Union and ratify this*
Constitutional Amendment.

The South turned down the deal to return to Union because it was about States rights not just slavery....

We will NOT go quitely into the night!
That proves it wasn't about freeing the slaves and it shows that Lincoln wasn't the person some people think he was.

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Citiboy289:

Take that up with Tnmountains: "The war of aggression had turned..."

Take a look at 19th Century books and articles and see how many times the American Civil War is titled "The War of the Rebellion" or just "The Rebellion." If I post that here, is that being non-political to you?

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
lookindown:

Abraham Lincoln made it very clear when he was running for President that his priority was keeping the Union whole. He said it time after time.

His first inaugural address has already been quoted.

In his 1862 letter to Horace Greeley he wrote:

"I would save the Union. I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was." If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time save Slavery, I do not agree with them. If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy Slavery, I do not agree with them. My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or destroy Slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that. What I do about Slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save this Union, and what I forbear, I forbear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union."

It was later in the War when he changed his mind and issued the Emancipation Proclamation - largely, of course, to keep Great Britain out of the War.

Does this prove Lincoln wasn't the person some people think he was? Of course. There are many misconceptions about many historical figures.

Was Lincoln a great President who preserved the Union? Without a doubt.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please put thread back on topic, all posts below this that are off topic will be deleted.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the back through the yard is still the remnants on an old wagon road they travelled . This was all farm land once and I find plow teeth. When Bragg fell he retreated and Bates set uo 2 guns on the hill here. He was firing the round canister grape shot at the Northern troops below him.After Missionary ridge fell they had attacked the train of wagons in the retreat and captured the ambulances and wounded and a few supplies. From the Diaries of the Ohio/Illinois boys they wrote that the shot flying over their head sounded like the wings of wild geese passing. The official report to Sherman was a butcher bill of casualties and Grant was very disappointed this useless slaughter had even happened. This begins the long fiery march to Atlanta where the North at that point burned everything in site.

Bookaroo an interesting read are Lincoln's letters to Sec of war Stanton and his concerns and how he micro managed many things. Great man Lincoln? No doubt. He put the better good of the union above his own personal thoughts that is for sure. Study Negleys raids here and you will understand aggression in its original context. I have followed his paths in my hunts. I also stand at the graves of Andrews raiders and wonder as it was my GGG Uncle W.A Fuller of the train the General who chased after and helped capture them and saw them hung. My Dad's family fought for the north and my Mom's family fought for the south. I have letters from both sides and the Gar buttons from his coat. I am honored to be a part of this history.

I have often thought to post the letters here from scans to get help in reading them as the writing is difficult and old. Good forum and members for that research. Many are marked "Confederate states of America "stationary.
HH
TnMtns

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good luck in your hunt.

dasabighole

Sep 11, 2006
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
Nautilus / Tesoro/T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gee TNMOUNTAIN only posted a historical fact about his property and his link to history and searching results I hate to see it become a political debate Cant we take that political aspect somewhere else?
Tooo late! Ah dun lowded mah Wawker . Whur thim Yankee gressers at~!~

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Tnmountains:

Keep trying to read that old handwriting. It will come to you. I've studied government documents in script and found it helpful to trace the letters. The motion of your hand can help you discern the letters. Once you crack "the code" it will come easy - and be worth the effort.

It's obvious you care deeply about the history, and it's neat that it is in your backyard.

Good luck to all,

~ The Old Bookaroo

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very cool thread ...then everyone drifted off course. Hey i been in East Lake looking at wooded lots and tracts that are empty. What do you think ? Want to try it sometime ? Also The Battle Of Ringgold Gap was yesterday. Long live the fighting spirit of Patrick Clegburne !

crank bait

Nov 2, 2013
southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 & At Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TOUCHE!!!!!!!! I live in southern Indiana (BUT) had I have lived in the south now I would still fly the Con. flag. Your correct tis your history, if you forget where you been you cant get to where you want to go. Crank Bait PS folks don't retire to the north

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Impact , Tejon . Fisher F75, Vaquero, uMaxSilver, Cibola , Delta 4000, F2, Ace350 , original Bandido
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My family lived at Dug Gap. Just down in Mill Creek Valley. A place called Huricane Road. They settled there in 1840. My cousin showed me where the old homeplace was about 3 years ago. I have a friend who lives very close to there.He has gained permission to hunt and he is finding some stuff. Not much but some. What is cool is is...these are battle relics that are coming off my families farm. I always heard the stories about Sherman coming through there with a 100,000 men. I havent been down there yet but will anyday now. Motorcycle twisted both my knees in August but I'm getting better.

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My family lived at Dug Gap. Just down in Mill Creek Valley. A place called Huricane Road. They settled there in 1840. My cousin showed me where the old homeplace was about 3 years ago. I have a friend who lives very close to there.He has gained permission to hunt and he is finding some stuff. Not much but some. What is cool is is...these are battle relics that are coming off my families farm. I always heard the stories about Sherman coming through there with a 100,000 men. I havent been down there yet but will anyday now. Motorcycle twisted both my knees in August but I'm getting better.

Yes the dug gap area was heavily traveled. Be careful if you hunt in East Lake it is kinda dangerous if you know what I mean. I found a lot in Ridgedale before MCallie school bought it all up.That was were Thomas advanced. All the forts were downtown and Grant was at Orchard Knob. The official civil war atlas is your best friend. You never know a single lot can produce.

Nice bike Roaddust Holler at me and we can get out the Harleys and run the Ridge

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
TnMtns , That's not my bike in the photo. Just a cool photo with a route 66 sign on it. I ride a Heritage. I have a Civil War Atlas somewhere. It is lost in the basement or possibly stolen. I'm not sure what you are calling Ridgedale , I will have to look. But I know McCallie. We have two girls who went to the " other school" who does activities with McCallie. Yes , If I hunt East Lake , I will have some one being lookout. LOL Maybe we can tell them we are with the water company. LOL

OP
OP
Tnmountains

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the heritage. I ride and older fat boy dressed out a little like a heritage. Yep that other school lol. Ridgedale is above main towards the top. Holler at me after deer season and maybe we can hun. I have dug over or around 100 bullets and stuff from my yard and surrounding areas.

Herb Boyd

Apr 8, 2013
Naples Florida
Detector(s) used
4 different
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best threads engage all sides, can't argue the politics behind most treasure hunting. The South wanted to sell cotton to England for Gold, the North had a budding industrial base, but the Northern economy was dominated by banks in New York who wanted to pay with paper money...

gsxraddict

Sep 21, 2005
Resaca, GA
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Minelab Equinox 800, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Those yankees always had their hands full with Cleburne's boys...

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sherman was not a " burner" until his best friend , Major General James McPherson was killed at Peach Tree Creek as they entered Atlanta. He did not order burning , he just simply didnt order it stopped after losing his best friend.

roaddust66

Sep 22, 2013
Chattanooga Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Tnmountains , what are you calling Shallowford Gap ? I know Parker's , Igou , Julian , McDaniel , Standifer and Ringgold Gaps but I'm not sure what is called Shallowford ?

slomoe

Dec 24, 2008
Baltimore, Md.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all, I was at the Chickamauga/Chattanooga Battlefield and on Lookout Mountain a few years ago. While visiting there I learned that Orchard Knob where Grant was is no longer there. I don't know what is there now. Slomoe:coffee2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions